Thread: Damn PePboys Starters!!!

LXi User
    Vehicle
    89 LXI

Angry Damn PePboys Starters!!!

I tell you, you try and save a buck with remanufactured parts and they're not worth a damn!!! I've had this Pepboys starter for no longer than a year and here it is going out on me already..... The only lucky thing about the situation is that they have a lifetime warranty on the damn thing so the only thing I have to pay for is the labor....... :pissed:

Vehicle
    1989/Honda/Accord LX/5-spd, 1994 Prelude Si/5-spd, 2004 Honda 1300 VTX
    Dude I hear you, my starter just went out and is still in the shop. I got mine from napa. I don't remember if it's remanufactured or not though. I have a 3 yr warranty. Funny thing is I just got it put in, in May of this year. How much would I expect for labor or how long would it take to put one in?

LXi User
    Vehicle
    89 LXI
    Well, I was quoted a price of $65 for the labor so that's not that bad considering what they have to do to get to it but I'm still mad that the thing went out and it hasn't been in the car that long..... I used to take my car to a shop that only dealt with honda parts but the only problem with them was that when I got the bill it was always high!!!

Vehicle
    Yeah I went to the honda dealer to fix my carb and they said it just needed to be cleaned and have a new O2 sensor put in. I got the bill and it was $235 And the carb still ran like shit. So I through with it, I'm getting a new Weber 32/36 and having a friend that's a mechanic put it in.

LXi User
    Vehicle
    89 LXI
    I'm trying to hold off as long as I can because I have another A20 engine that's been overbored and the head has been ported and polished..... I've taking my time with building my other engine and it's not supposed to go in until after the new year..... I still need to get my new manual tranny, because I'm also doing a swap, new cam and b16 intake manifold so as you see that's why I'm trying to make this old engine last me until then but it's hard!!!

Vehicle
    Previous: '89 Accord LXi hatch, '89 Accord LXi hatch, '86 Prelude Si
    Do the starter yourself. Undo both cables then remove the two 14 mm bolts that hold it in.
    Mike

LXi User
    Vehicle
    89 LXI
    Is it easier to go in from the top or the bottom because I'm not trying to remove any axles or anything???

Better to take YOUR starter in to a shop that rebuilds them. That should give you the best result.

Vehicle
    Previous: '89 Accord LXi hatch, '89 Accord LXi hatch, '86 Prelude Si
    The starter bolts into the upper part of the transmission. You work from above. You'll need some socket extensions to reach the bolts, but you don't need to remove anything except the plastic air intake tube. If your car is auto it might be a little different; I'm used to working on my 5-speed. The auto tranny is a little bigger and might get a little more in the way.
    Mike

DX User
    Vehicle
    1988 honda accord Lx-i
    True, just go to the junkyard and get a starter. And you should do the shit ur self, save money and gain some knowledge for future 03 geez u might get

LX User
    Always have a spare boneyard starter laying around that you brought to pep boys to see how many amps its drawing. Also a spare alternater that you picked up at boneyard then brought to autozone to test and was good. Comeon tis is basic mechanical stuff,brothers.

LXi User
    Vehicle
    89 LXI
    That sounds like a good idea to hit the yard to find a backup Honda starter because these remanufatured ones are nothing but headaches...... Yeah, I know this is mechanic 101 but when you have a cousin who is a certified master mechanic, I never have to touch my car..... Don't get me wrong, I know my way around an engine, it's just most of the time I never have to get my hands dirty......

Vehicle
    96 Civic (Turbo lsvtec) /87 accord lx/95 civic dx

Re: Damn PePboys Starters!!!

Originally posted by joker2
    The only lucky thing about the situation is that they have a lifetime warranty on the damn thing so the only thing I have to pay for is the labor....... :pissed:
    ya and the labor is gona cost like 3 times the amount the starter did:flame:
    Jay

LXi User
    Vehicle
    89 LXI
    Actually they were only gonna to charge $65 but that doesn't matter now because I've decided to do it myself....... I just hate being in the garage at night when I could be on the couch playing my PS2..........

Vehicle
    96 Civic (Turbo lsvtec) /87 accord lx/95 civic dx
    Originally posted by joker2
    I just hate being in the garage at night when I could be on the couch playing my PS2..........

thats the life
    Jay

LXi User
    Vehicle
    89 LXI
    You said it!!!:super:

Vehicle
    I just found out yesterday that the shop that's doing my starter is going to do the labor for free because it's been under 6 months since I had it replaced. So I do have to pay for the starter or the labor. I am a little happy but still pissed that I don't have my car back.

LXi User
    Vehicle
    89 LXI
    OK, the starter came out without a hitch, now I just have to take it back to them so they can give me a new one- or lets say REMANUFACTURED!!! I think I'm still going to hit the yards to see if I can find an original honda starter.......