Thread: AutoX and power-steering

Vehicle
    Weber'd LX

AutoX and power-steering

Ok, some people might remember I am thinking of Autocrossing in my accord. Is it best to keep the power steering for the quick steering responce, or take it out for the slight gain in torque? I was considering removing it before but now I think it might be better to keep for AutoX
    Accord has been replaced with a 2004 Solara SE Sport with 3.3 VVT-i V6...man does that car move...

LX User
    Vehicle
    '85.accord.lx.sedan
    Here's my opinion.....I've driven a couple of cars that came from the factory without power assisted steering, it wasn't that bad...noticeably more effort but only at very low speeds - they were also very light cars (Mazda 323, MGB). Recently, the power steering in my car (a rwd Nissan 200SX) developed a leak and I figured screw it it's a small car I don't even need it.....WRONG, the car is now a bear to control and you notice a lot more vibrations through the wheel...it's a total mess. I say if you're going to go for no power steering, try to find a manual rack somewhere (although I don't think 3g Accord ever came with manual steering) as it will probably make it much easier than having a P/S rack with no pump connected to it.

Vehicle
    87 Accord EX , 5spd , Manual
    seancornelis is right !
    a car that has a removed power steering isn't the same as the car came originally with no power steering ! following me ?
    the PS isn't put there just for easy steering on low speeds but stability too on high speeds !

MIKE
    3geez member since October 4th 2001

Vehicle
    85 accord (2x DCOE) 88 Nova (4AGZE + msII) 98 Jetta TDI
    Sean is right, it is alot easier to use a manual rack then it is to use a power rack that has been drained of its fluid. I know some people that have done. When I removed the power steering on my nova I went with a manual rack, its much nicer to turn then a drained power rack in my opinion. I don't even think its that bad when the car is stitting still and I have 205 tires on there. I don't remember if you could get a 3g with manual steering or not, if it was its hard to find. Gen2 accords are much more common with manual steering. I don't know for sure if you could adapt the gen2 rack to the gen3, they are similar but I don't know if they'll swap.

andy

Vehicle
    89 Accord LX/B20A | 87 Accord Hatch "S" Stock | 94 Civic Hatch CX
    manual steering was available here in Canada... it was on the 86-87 DX tough.

http://pages.videotron.com/omus
    3geez member since July 12 2000

I need these parts!
    https://www.3geez.com/forum/showthread.php?t=67742

Vehicle
    2006 Chevy Cobalt LS
    Well I like the tug and pull feel with no powersteering... it's not bad at all... I always hated my powersteering cause you could do pinky turns ... way too light and didn't seem fun at all to drive with no feed back... sort of like my moms Nissan maxima... but worse.
    - llia

3Geez Veteran
    Vehicle
    86 Honda Accord LXI HB 5-sp
    Originally posted by carotman
    manual steering was available here in Canada... it was on the 86-87 DX tough.
    Is it possible that the 86-87 dx cars in the us didn't have p/s as well? Does this mean that the 88-89 DX cars got p/s.

For me the major draw to chuck my p/s would be to improve my feedback of the road threw the steering wheel. Right now it doesn't talk to me as much as I'd like. It could do a better job of communicating what the tires are up to at the limit. Besides it's got a leak anyways.