Thread: 85 ACCORD engine swap

DX User
    Vehicle
    1985/Honda/Accord LX 1.8L

85 ACCORD engine swap

I'm wanting to put a newer, faster engine in my '85 accord and I'm new to the whole car modding deal so I had a few questions.

1) How can I tell if an engine will even fit under the hood?
    2) Should I go with carbureted or fuel injected? diesel or gas?
    3) Is there a list somewhere of engines that will fit?

Like I said, I'm new to this stuff. I do understand engines enough to work on them and I have actually rebuilt a couple small gas engines. I want to be able to get some good acceleration out of the car but, at the same time I want to be able to get good gas mileage on the highway.

Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!!!

Vehicle
    1986 accord LXI

Re: 85 ACCORD engine swap

Swap a A20A3 into it. its fuel injected and its a pretty easy swap.

Vehicle
    1981 Accord Hatchback, 1984 Accord Sedan

Yep, A20A3 will bolt in, and B20A as well. You might even be able to get the B-series mounts to work for the 3g Accord. I'm currently putting an 86 Prelude engine into mine. Well it's in, but I just have to get it all hooked up.

DX User
    Vehicle

Ok, when I first posted this apparently half of it didn't save. So just some more info on my car and what I'm doing with it. The dash board has been fried cause between my two older brothers the car has been jumped backwards twice(black to red, red to black). Also the clutch has just recently gone out and needs replaced. since I was going to be pulling everything else out anyways I was thinking about replacing EVERYTHING under the hood and dash. So basically the only thing I really want of the original car is the body, frame, and power steering. so as far as the new engine goes it ,plus a transmission that fits it, just needs to fid under the hood.

Thanks for the input so far, I hope to get this project going soon!

Vehicle
    1981 Accord Hatchback, 1984 Accord Sedan

Pics!!! Anything other than an A-series engine is pretty much going to require a fuel injection conversion and custom engine mounts. The A20 is pretty fun in that car... But it's not going to be screaming fast by any means.

DX User
    Vehicle

Pics will come soon, I promise. Meanwhile I found a B20A for about $1000 with 55,000 miles on it. Before I make any commitments on it I wanted to make sure its going to bolt in good and everything. Also what transmissions will fit it? It MUST be a manual, I cant stand automatics, I hate them with a passion.

Also, how hard would it be to completely pull all the wiring that's in the car now and redo it?

Vehicle
    1988 ca3 si exclusive

just have to make sure its the right B20a as they are not all the same.
    it has to be from either a 3 g accord or 2 g lude.
    3 g lude ones lean back and wont fit.
    search round the site, everything you need to know is here somewhere

Vehicle
    86 Honda Prelude

Wiring wouldn't be much an issue. It would help if you have both car's wiring diagram but as long as you have a common sense with wiring, it shouldn't be a problem.

1986 Honda Prelude build thread
    1981 Honda Accord (sold)

DX User
    Vehicle

OK, so I've been out of commission for a while but I'm back. I figured I'd bump this thread so I can get back to work.

So like I said I have an all original '85 accord LX with a 1.8L carbureted engine and 5 speed manual transmission. The only gauge that works is the speedometer. Everything else was working fine until the clutch went out.

What I'm thinking is that I'm probly gonna have to pull the engine anyway I might as well replace both the engine and transmission(they have over 200k miles on it). I want a fuel injected engine and manual transmission that I can easily just swap out, I don't want to have to do at of complicated rewiring or modding to make it fit. also I want to replace the instrument panel with all mechanical gauges.

What I've found so far is that a a20a3 would probly be my best bet. Would that be a simple replacement or is there a lot of rewiring that goes with that?

Then also I need to get a new transmission. I have no idea about this part. Would I be able to use an original 85 accord transmission or do I deed something else?

The theme of this is that it needs to be as simple and inexpensive as possible. Also I want to get the engine and transmission.

Vehicle
    99' Mercedes E320

I would also like to know. I have a 85 accord hatchback lx. The stock engine has been great and only has 202k miles but I hate carbs and want something with a lil more oomph.
    -Kelley

Hondas owned: 84 Accord Sedan Lx, 85 Accord Hatch Lx, 87 Accord Sedan Lx, 89 Accord Sedan Lx-i, 96 Integra Coupe Se

DX User

I just bought a 85 Accord as well. Nice car but i need more horse in that baby