Thread: Processing factory steering wheel controls

DX User
    Vehicle
    Honda accord III SEI

Processing factory steering wheel controls

Welcome. I have a panel to control the radio from the steering wheel to the factory radio but I wanted to make them into pionner radio control. But the factory cube comes to me only one cable. Can anyone help me?

LX User
    Vehicle
    89 Dx, 89 LXi

Re: Processing factory steering wheel controls

Company called PAC makes steering wheel control interfaces. You will require a piece known as the SWI-PS. Available at your local car stereo shop or online.

Pac-Audio.com Product Details | iPod Integration for your car and More by Pac-Audio - Connecting you to the future
    Last edited by dieselgus; 11-05-2013 at 12:27 PM.

DX User
    Vehicle
    Honda accord III SEI

But im from Poland and this part isnt avalible here

Vehicle
    87 LXi Hatch

Perhaps the radio control wiring diagram is available in one of the shop mauals on the 3geez wiki?

Vehicle
    86 hatchback, 1990 Lincoln Towncar

if you have ebay, you can order it, it's the swi x steering wheel control, it uses the different resistances from the factory controls and converts them into signals like the factory remote on your radio, it copies the infrared signals from the pioneers remote when you program it

Vehicle
    1999 Penalty Box

Just order it. As long as they ship internationally, don't sweat it. I ship international all the time now that I've been doing electronics.

Vehicle

this is what you need, it should have detailed instructions, the reason the steering wheel controls only have one wire, is when you push the buttons, each button creates a different resistance between the wire and ground. this reads those and translates it into infrared signals like a remote, in order to be able to use this, the aftermarket radio you choose has to have a remote control Pac SWI x Universal Steering Wheel Radio Control Interface | eBay ignore the years list on the listing, they probably dont even know these radios had steering wheel controls this far back, but those are pretty universal, if you get one and have any issues I'll help you through it, I'm very familiar with these
    Last edited by lostforawhile; 02-20-2014 at 04:47 AM.

Vehicle
    1999 Penalty Box

Are you trying to homebrew this? If you are, I'd be interested in helping out with more specific issues.

Vehicle

Quote Originally Posted by Vanilla Sky View Post
    Are you trying to homebrew this? If you are, I'd be interested in helping out with more specific issues.
    it's pretty straightforward, you hook the input of the box to the wire coming from the wheel controls, then you use the remote control from the radio to program each button on the wheel to a specific function, if the resistance range of the wheel buttons isn't high enough,you add an additional resistor in line with that wire, these cars all use negative triggered buttons. it goes from the output wire through a specific resistor for each button, then the ground is through the horn circuit

Vehicle
    1999 Penalty Box

Yeah, but with a little added logic, you can add more functions to those buttons.

But yeah, probe it out and you'll know what to connect to where if you don't have the proper adapter. If you don't have a multimeter, go buy something decent. The $50 and $100 shootouts that Dave Jones of EEVBlog put on youtube are great starting points, as is the EEVBlog forum.

Vehicle

Quote Originally Posted by Vanilla Sky View Post
    Yeah, but with a little added logic, you can add more functions to those buttons.

But yeah, probe it out and you'll know what to connect to where if you don't have the proper adapter. If you don't have a multimeter, go buy something decent. The $50 and $100 shootouts that Dave Jones of EEVBlog put on youtube are great starting points, as is the EEVBlog forum.
    the issue is they use a single signal wire for all the buttons, the factory radio would read the resistance of each button to know which one was pressed, the swi-x box does the same thing, but it mimics the output of the remote control for a modern stereo depending on what you program to each button, you could make any button on the steering wheel perform any function on the remote

DX User

I work for a car audio supplier, myself I've added a piece made by idatalink called a maestro-sw. You can take the resistance values and create your own settings. + the bonus of a press and hold feature. It will turn the 3 buttons to 6!

Vehicle
    1999 Penalty Box

See, just a little bit of logic doubles the number of inputs. I am willing to wager it can be expanded further, using the old cruise control buttons.