Thread: where are the hard performance numbers?

Vehicle
    1987 Accord

where are the hard performance numbers?

Greetings,

From my months of lurking ( just got my 87 titled last week) I have seen a lot of performance talk, but no numbers to say " A Weber 32/36 dynode at 105HP" or that A 38/38 will bring you a 20% gain over stock. I am planning on the 38/38 but it would be nice to know a performance baseline.

Vehicle
    86 LX JDM B20A

Re: where are the hard performance numbers?

@no hard numbers here but I have installed a 38 on a totally stock a20a1 5 speed, no exhaust mods or anything.. I swear the butt dyno read at least 20 hpgained, for sure gave it oodles more torque. The intake manifold also had the dual plenum cut out so it opened up considerably.
    Could pull off in 4th gear without feathering the clutch much, really changed the personality of the car, loved it

Vehicle
    1987 Accord

Im not looking to be competitive, just looking for the fun factor. As I understand there is a small drop in fuel efficiency. Assuming that I can keep my foot off the go pedal.

Vehicle
    86 LX JDM B20A

Well the purpose of opening up the plenum was that the 38 is a streight up two barrel carb, not a progressive 1 then 2 like the factory carb or a 32/36 weber. There is no need for dual plenum runners.
    I didn't install the 38 to be competitive, in fact nothing Ive done to any of my cars was for competition or being bad ass. I just lke efficeint performance. Even my dohc swap LX is realky just a fun car to drive, i tell people it's not fast just faster than it's supposed to be which is true. Im pretty sure I WOULDN'T prevail in a serious race with about 90% of any kind of cars out there. It's just fun to drive a 2400 lb car with just under twice the hp it came with. It was only A few years later Honda upped the hp on the Accord to way over what I have anyway.
    I didnt notice any drastic reduction in mpg with any Weber swap Ive done, no big increase either just a lot better driveability.
    It does take a little study to chose an idle jet or 1 minute to adjust idle mix, when the weather gets colder.

Vehicle
    89 Honda Accord

would it be a bad idea to put a 4 banger in my 89 accord lx 5 speed I found a holly 750 CFM universal fit carb
    89 Honda Accord Lx

Vehicle
    86dx hatch

That's going to be way too much carb for an a20. A 390-450cfm 4bbl holley would be a better choice for our cars.

Vehicle
    1989 Accord LX-i

x2. I have a 750 cfm on my 454.
    Dr_Snooz

"I like to take hammers, and just break stuff, just break stuff." - Beavis

1989 Honda Accord LX-i Coupe, 240k miles, MT swap, rear disc swap

Shop manual downloads available here: CLICK TO VIEW

Vehicle
    1987 Accord

I have to admit that I was hoping that there was a DCOE setup that was a bit more common. Oddly enough even if it was available, I still couldn't afford it ...

Vehicle
    89 Honda Accord

Okay I will look into it price really isn't a problem for me as long as it's not crazy I'm just looking for hardcore performance and would really like to put a turbo in it but I'm not sure if it's possible? (Any advice) any other things I can do to get the hp and tourqe out of the motor?

Vehicle
    '87 Prelude DX, '00 Nissan Frontier, '87 Suzuki Samurai DIESEL!

Turbos are possible and so are DCOEs. In fact there was a turbo manifold group buy not long ago. Check in the classified section. I think there may even be one left still. Of course you'll need all the other associated turbo bits but plenty of people have done it. It's all there if you dig around in the old posts.

For DCOEs you just need the proper intake manifold. Rowland manifolds out of South Africa makes them still.
    Rowland Manifolds Cape Town South Africa

You can also get them from Extrudabody (in the US) but it's cheaper to go directly through Rowland.

C|