Thread: Rear control arms and other things.

LX User

Rear control arms and other things.

First of all I want to thank all of you for the support through making the front extended top hats seen here:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1269122_528029350605209_1555520889_o.jpg 
Views:	467 
Size:	78.8 KB 
ID:	5598

With that I am moving on to make the following parts:

Rear upper adjustable control arms, with much more adjustability than the Moog ones, shooting for -3 Camber for you slammed cars.
    Front Upper Control Ams, with more adjustability than then prelude conversion.
    Rear lower control arms, full cnc aluminum, fresh energy suspension bushing, ready to install. These are going to be Heavy Duty.

Here are two EXACT renders I did tonight of the arms I would like to build. The arms are going to be a hard sale I know, but I want to sell them for around $500ish including everything, all 4 arms, bushings, ect.

Name:	3 gee Control Arms.jpg 
Views:	242 
Size:	44.9 KB 
ID:	5599Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Control Arm 2.jpg 
Views:	1165 
Size:	44.6 KB 
ID:	5600

Accord of the Year - 2007

Vehicle
    1988 Honda Accord, CRV B20 swap.

Re: Rear control arms and other things.

Sooo need the front upper control arms. Will they come with ball joints? What does the price range look like?
    Complete repair manual <---- (click here)

LX User

Yes they would come with a set of prelude ball joints, or if someone liked, we could let the buyer choose which brand he wanted.

I am not sure on the total cost yet, Maybe around $150 a set.

LX User

So here is a little concept I want to throw at you guys. Rather than replacing the front upper control arm, how about we make the ball joint assembly adjustable for camber. Here is what I came up with, in the photo shows the camber adjuster with two slotted holes. The slotted holes are 1/4" longer than the prelude holes to add another 1 degree of adjustment. The spherical bearing would mount inside the hole, with a snap ring retainer. This allows for replacement. The bolt/pin assebly would be machined to match the thread pitch and taper of the stock ball joint to mount into the upper control arm. Each set of these would be around $150 + shipping. They would include both sides, two spherical ball bearings, snap rings, new hard ware, and ball joint pin and castle nut.

Name:	Camber Adjuster.jpg 
Views:	747 
Size:	28.6 KB 
ID:	5609

Vehicle
    1988 EX-i 4dr, 1989 se-i 4dr (RIP), 1989 se-i 4dr (RIP), 2006 TSX

Jordain,

I really like this idea for the control arm adjustment but I have had bad experience with spherical joints/bearings not lasting nearly as long as standard ball joints... What is your take on this? I don't put a ton of miles on my car, but friends and me have had issues with these before.

Vehicle
    1987 Honda Accord, 1988 Honda Accord Hatch LXi, 2003 Pontiac Grand Prix

I agree with spherical bearings wearing out too fast. Was an item that had to be changed regularly on the race car

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk

LX User

I find spherical life length is 100% dependent on quality. Bronze race bearings seem to wear out quickly, Steel on steel are the longest lasting but can be noisy, Nylon Race seem to be the best of both worlds. I personally have had steel no steel sphericals in my trailing arms for over two years now without any noise, and I drive the car hard. I could get rid of the spherical for a ball joint of some type but the design would be much different. I also find that the sphericals bearings used typically are way too small for the application. Caster/camber kits have had sphericals in them for ages. Look at caster camber plates them selves, all of them have sphericals. Quality is number one, and no cheap bearings would be installed.

LX User

Something like this bump steer kit we are working on, without all the spacers. You can see the pin and bearing assembly. The bearing would simply be a high end bearing in the aluminum housing.

Name:	IMAG2445[1].jpg 
Views:	1913 
Size:	482.1 KB 
ID:	5613

3Geez Veteran
    Vehicle
    88coupe

I like this idea. I really do.... I dont have too much knowledge on spherical bearings tho so thats over my head.

Quote Originally Posted by CAH View Post
    pullin up turbo spoolin fast lookin fly like a 3g like a 3g like a 3g

Vehicle
    1986 Honda Accord LXi(Rebuilt)

I really could use the front UCA adjustable plate/bearing. I don't know much about spherical bearings either. I'd think steel on aluminum would wear fairly quickly, but then again, I'm no engineer by far. I find pressed bearings are easily replaceable with help of the loan a tool program from auto store though.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Prevail 2
    Shaggy
    FF II/ETC I

"What's my age again? What's my age again?"

3Geez Veteran
    Vehicle
    88coupe

Quote Originally Posted by chedda_jsauto View Post
    So here is a little concept I want to throw at you guys. Rather than replacing the front upper control arm, how about we make the ball joint assembly adjustable for camber. Here is what I came up with, in the photo shows the camber adjuster with two slotted holes. The slotted holes are 1/4" longer than the prelude holes to add another 1 degree of adjustment. The spherical bearing would mount inside the hole, with a snap ring retainer. This allows for replacement. The bolt/pin assebly would be machined to match the thread pitch and taper of the stock ball joint to mount into the upper control arm. Each set of these would be around $150 + shipping. They would include both sides, two spherical ball bearings, snap rings, new hard ware, and ball joint pin and castle nut.

Name:	Camber Adjuster.jpg 
Views:	747 
Size:	28.6 KB 
ID:	5609
    somehow I missed the point of this post but good idea for the front. only thing is we would have to source the lude housings. still.

Quote Originally Posted by CAH View Post
    pullin up turbo spoolin fast lookin fly like a 3g like a 3g like a 3g