Thread: just want a strait swap awnser

Vehicle
    86 accord hatch

just want a strait swap awnser

Hey guys. Ive been looking on here and found a few things but still hard to tell whats what. So im going to ask directly if these two motors would work and what parts are needed.

K so i like the d16a6. Its a good motor and has good pep. Im not building a race car just like a little more. Now what cv's would work? And do the mounts bolt up? I know i saw a different mount on the front and i think i could fab up one for the rear.

Also the b18 out of a 90 integra is nice. Basicaly the same questions cv's, mounts.

Now for wiring im guessing id have to swap out the hole thing or scab in whats needed to run the motor (i am carbed at the moment). But what about the gauges? Spedo, tack.....and what not?

This seems like the best site to awnser my questions so here i am guys.
    Thank you for any info you guys can give me.

3Geez Veteran

Re: just want a strait swap awnser

The only performance engine available in these cars that "bolt up" to the factory mounts in the bay is the JDM B20A. Good luck finding one and finding the mounts. Otherwise, you're going custom.

3Geez Veteran
    Vehicle
    88coupe

I saw the title, did not read ur post and i will have to say no. Nothing besides another a series will be a "straight swap"

Quote Originally Posted by CAH View Post
    pullin up turbo spoolin fast lookin fly like a 3g like a 3g like a 3g

Vehicle
    86 accord hatch

Ok. What about D's? Is their mounts i can buy? And if so what cv's do i use?? And the same with a 90 integra b18 motor???

3Geez Veteran
    Vehicle
    88coupe

Did u read his post? U can only buy mounts for bseries. As far as what all u need, search. There are a few how to's/wwhati did threads out there as of recently.

Quote Originally Posted by CAH View Post
    pullin up turbo spoolin fast lookin fly like a 3g like a 3g like a 3g

Vehicle
    86 accord hatch

Quote Originally Posted by Tdurr View Post
    Did u read his post? U can only buy mounts for bseries. As far as what all u need, search. There are a few how to's/wwhati did threads out there as of recently.
    Ok. I do all of this on my phone so it can get hard to read long threads. My laptop keeps crashing so i got no choice. I read some and they say inovative has mounts but never make it to when they talk about cv's thats why i started this thread hoping someone could just say (ya use this and call them and do this) and searching internet for me doesnt always work lol computers dont always like me lol. I mite jeep the stock motor aswell. Talking with some oldschool datson guys and they sead it would be sweet to rebuild it and put duel carbs on it. Im not wanting lots of power just a little bit more then stock. If you have any cool ideas for the stock motor please speak your mind.

Vehicle
    1988 ca3 si exclusive

a D series is a waste of time.
    you are not gaining anything hp wise, and you lose out on the torque side.
    search around here on the A series and you'll find they can be made to go bloody well, and have a reasonable parts backup.
    as you will no doubt find out, the b20a is the ultimate( but very rare in the USA) bolt in motor for a 3g accord.
    transplanting a vtec b series, is not going to be cheap.

Vehicle
    1999 Penalty Box

If you have buddies that are familiar with DCOE carbs, and you can get a manifold made up, go that route. You'll learn how carbs work because you'll have to adjust them from time to time, and sometimes they can be finicky when it comes to starting and idling. The exhaust can be helped out a lot, too.

B series mounts, as you read, are available from Innovative. You'll have to have the shift linkage modified, and find axles that fit. I believe that someone has found a set that works with no mods, but don't quote me.

If you do go down the B series route, completely skip using 90% of the Honda electrical and Megasquirt the engine. The car will essentially need to be converted to OBD0 EFI, then converted to ODB1 EFI to make it run on Honda sensors. If you run something like Megasquirt (think a cheap Haltech or Bosch EFI system, the kind they use in racing), you can use more than just Honda sensors, while also allowing you to add and change sensors as you see fit.

Vehicle
    86 accord hatch

Sweet! So my car is parked at a friends so i cant go look at it but i know i either have a a20a1 or a20a2. Ive read the first one is a little better cause of no emisions. Could a 80's prelude duel carb setup work? Or is it better to make a intake??

Vehicle
    1999 Penalty Box

Skip the Prelude carbs. They are an old master/slave setup and are a total pain to work on. SUs like what member "lostforawhile" is installing are another good choice. No matter what, you're going to be stuck either making a manifold or having one made.

You're going to be losing all of the emissions crap when you do a carb swap, anyway, so don't worry about it. If you have a US market car, which you probably do, it's certainly not lacking emissions equipment.

While you may be asking what some of consider to be newbie questions, we still don't know your fabrication skills level. What are you capable of doing?

Vehicle
    86 accord hatch

Ive got friends that are better welders then me. Im real good with a wrench but havnt worked with carbs alot. I saw one guy using street bike carbs off of a r1 that he says should work good. And the intake looked prity basic. My car is a 86 auto. Im prity sure its a dx. It has ac but its manuel everything.

Vehicle
    1999 Penalty Box

Bike carbs are a good option, too. One of my next builds will be with liter bike ITBs. They mount in the same fashion, but with the added spaghetti of electron-carrying goodness everywhere.

One issue with bike carbs can be getting a car engine to idle on them. If you've got a buddy that can get it right, then that might be the direction to go. I sold a pair of matched DCOE bodies and a bunch of spares on eBay for a princely sum at one point.

Vehicle
    86 accord hatch

Im guessing those carbs arnt cheap.... i know the cars not that old but a vintage build would be cool. Id be the only one in kelowna bc with one of these done up. The guys on the civic club are laughin at me. They think its a pos because of what it is but i love it and want to be different then all the other civic driving f**ks here. If its not new they dont like it. I want to blow them away with this car. HELP!!!

Vehicle
    1999 Penalty Box

Bike carbs aren't that expensive. See here. Those guys are local to me, and I have no problems checking parts out if you want them. Normally, they even give me a deal because we buy so many random things from them.

Vehicle
    86 accord hatch

Thats not bad at all :-D so i also read that id have to buy a cam from bizimoto....is their other options or should i not bother? And when i rebuild the motor should i machine it or is the motor unable to take it??

I know nothing of these motors. I know more of the other honda motors.
    School me!

Vehicle
    1999 Penalty Box

To be honest, all of the info is available here. It would take days for me to write it all out, and at least a week for you to learn. You'd still be missing out on a bunch of the good stuff, too.

Read through the R&D forum, the projects forum, and the performance forum. Rjudgey is our resident all-motor guy. He runs modified DCOEs, a shaved head, and a few handy tricks and puts down some decent numbers.

You can call up Colt Cams and have the "Bisi" grind done for like $80 or something like that. For the most part, Bisimoto is just a high priced name.

Vehicle
    86 accord hatch

Ok sweet thanks man :-D if i have any other questions can i message you?

Vehicle
    1999 Penalty Box

Sure thing. I'm always willing to help people learn.

Vehicle
    86 accord hatch

Awsome :-D