Thread: going to keep the stock motor. build up advise.

Vehicle
    86 accord hatch

going to keep the stock motor. build up advise.

So ive now decided instead of swaping and dealing with mounts and wiring and what not im just going to build up my a20a1 in my 86 accord hatch. Im deffinetly wanting to use the bike carbs. If anyone has any info or friendly advise feel free to post what you know. I live in kelowna BC and the guys all think these cars are pos. I want to put myself aside from all the other riced out civics and build a ride that will turn heads and show these guys that these cars arnt pos. Please any help would be awsome!

Vehicle
    1989 Accord LX-i

Re: going to keep the stock motor. build up advise.

What are the other guys driving?
    Dr_Snooz

"I like to take hammers, and just break stuff, just break stuff." - Beavis

1989 Honda Accord LX-i Coupe, 240k miles, MT swap, rear disc swap

Shop manual downloads available here: CLICK TO VIEW

3Geez Veteran
    Vehicle
    88coupe

Be prepared to spend too much money on parts that are dirt cheap for other makes of cars.

Quote Originally Posted by CAH View Post
    pullin up turbo spoolin fast lookin fly like a 3g like a 3g like a 3g

Vehicle
    86 accord hatch

Their all drivin civics and ludes. I know it will cost a bit but im not wanting to build a race car. I just want the motor to be better then stock and the car to be low and clean.

Vehicle
    1989 Accord LX-i

Quote Originally Posted by honda guy View Post
    I know it will cost a bit but im not wanting to build a race car. I just want the motor to be better then stock and the car to be low and clean.
    I think you're on the right track. You'll never win a bolt-on bragging rights fight with this car. What your buddies can buy from O'Reilly, you'll have to spend time and effort fabricating. Of course, your car is vastly superior to their Civics in every other way. For instance, you have four-wheel double-wishbone suspension. Your car's handling will be vastly superior to their cars no matter how much they spend. It will corner at much higher speeds and have a lively, nimble feel that their cars will never match. If you scavenge a leather interior from an SE-i, you'll have a much nicer interior as well. The styling of the 3g was among the most beautiful on any car, IMHO. The Civics are much more plain in comparison.

I think it's wise that you are taking your time developing a build plan and getting advice from experts. When it was built, your car was the car that all other cars wanted to be. Those Civics...not so much. Take your time now, get to know your car and just how special it is. Develop a plan that plays to its strengths and you'll have a car that will make your buddies jealous, even if it is a POS. LOL
    Dr_Snooz

"I like to take hammers, and just break stuff, just break stuff." - Beavis

1989 Honda Accord LX-i Coupe, 240k miles, MT swap, rear disc swap

Shop manual downloads available here: CLICK TO VIEW

Vehicle
    86 accord hatch

[QUOTE=Dr_Snooz;1139360]I think you're on the right track. You'll never win a bolt-on bragging rights fight with this car. What your buddies can buy from O'Reilly, you'll have to spend time and effort fabricating. Of course, your car is vastly superior to their Civics in every other way. For instance, you have four-wheel double-wishbone suspension. Your car's handling will be vastly superior to their cars no matter how much they spend. It will corner at much higher speeds and have a lively, nimble feel that their cars will never match. If you scavenge a leather interior from an SE-i, you'll have a much nicer interior as well. The styling of the 3g was among the most beautiful on any car, IMHO. The Civics are much more plain in comparison. [/ QUOTE]

Awsome thanks man! Thats just what i need to hear. Ua they have better motors that are easy to put turbos on and body kits but i love the classyness of the 3g. I would be the only one in town with this car done up. In the end ill be proud of what i built and love it more when i blow by them in the corners in a car that was built before most of them were even born lol
    I think it's wise that you are taking your time developing a build plan and getting advice from experts. When it was built, your car was the car that all other cars wanted to be. Those Civics...not so much. Take your time now, get to know your car and just how special it is. Develop a plan that plays to its strengths and you'll have a car that will make your buddies jealous, even if it is a POS. LOL
    Last edited by honda guy; 11-28-2013 at 09:58 PM.

Vehicle
    86 accord hatch

So im looking into suspention right now to see what my opsions are. Im going to slam my car. I know i can buld top hats and cut coils but i know k-sport and others make good setups to get you low. For my rx7 i was told powered by max would get me the lowest. My budy in alberta does have a set of budy clubs that are fully adjustable that were in a dx so i think the lower rears are the same possibly. And for the tops ill drill the holes to work and weld the old ones to clean it up. But i have read that their not the some from crx to 3g....but these are budys. Any ideas?

Vehicle
    86 accord hatch

Does anyone have a pic of what the rear shocks look like??? Im looking at different car shocks and found some that go really low but i need to be sure what the bottoms look like. My car is at my friends and i cant get to it to see.