Page 1 of 12 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Calabek : 1987 Accord Aerodeck LXR-S

Vehicle
    1987 Aerodeck

Calabek : 1987 Accord Aerodeck LXR-S

Heyo everyone! My name is Calabek (pronounced TS-UH-LUH-BEK), I'm 21 and currently living in South Australia, Australia. I'm a full time student, but at the time of making this thread I have about 2 and a half months left for holidays.

Last week (01-12-13) I came across an Aerodeck for sale in Queensland (about 2,100kms from my current residence) so I called the guy and told him I'd take it, regardless of problems. The 86-89 Aerodeck has been my number 1 favourite car ever since I saw Marvin a few years back. Crazy_C completely inspired me with his Aerodeck and from that moment I knew I had to have one!

The Aerodeck is my 3rd Accord. My first Accord was a CB. See here. I crashed it (see here)... it's so sad as it was my first car.

My second Accord I still currently own and love to bits. See here, here and here.

So, onto the Aerodeck. The Aerodeck is an 87 model, as of posting this thread I haven't actually seen it in person, but I have plenty of photos to share. It's been imported from Japan, B18A with 160,xxxkms, it has OEM rain guards, OEM mats and the power folding mirrors. Apparently there's a bit of rust in the hatch, and some on the front passenger side pillar. I've been told the pop-up lights don't pop-up, the interior is pretty mint and it comes with old registration papers (which is a huge thing for me because it's extremely hard to register imports here). I've done some research and I believe it's the only one in the whole of Australia (yay!) I bought the car for $800AUD and have organised for it to be shipped down which cost me $469AUD. My plan is to restore it, keep it looking extremely 80s, not stanced, moreso sleeper and to use it as a daily instead of my CD5. Onto the pictures!

These are pictures I was sent by the seller and my uncle who lives in Queensland. When it arrives (ETA: 30/12/13) I will take some better ones.

^front

^rear

^bit of rust on the front pillar (I think it's rust?)

^side/ass

^pic of the hatch, not too sure what's going on here. looks levered up.

^sunroof still works!

^build plate

It's definitely going to take some time, but I'm willing to put in the time for this car. It's my number 1 favourite, so why not?

When it arrives I'll be giving it a major service (because even though it runs, you never know). As for modifications and other plans;

Modifications / Repairs to come :
    ~ winky - sleepy eye mod
    ~ paint (b523p / b89p) - rust
    ~ wheels - 15"or16"
    ~ smoked corners
    ~ general restoration
    ~ fender indicators
    ~ 35% tint
    ~ change ALL lights to white (cluster, interior, climate, headlights)
    ~ Audio (speakers, amp, stereo, slimline sub)
    ~ Aerodeck symbol on the back hatch
    ~ paint / replace cluster needles to red / led green red
    ~ polish / remove scratches on tail lights (polishing kit) Headlight Restoration - Wetsanding and Polishing HD - YouTube
    ~ e32 front lip + cd5 94-95 lip?
    ~ wire tuck engine bay
    ~ 2 rear fogs
    ~ alarm
    ~ sticker on top of windshield "TEAM ホンダアコード" http://tinyurl.com/l3gzlar http://tinyurl.com/m48n4up

I wanna give it the cool features of a modern car (awesome audio, a safe alarm and further up-to-date technologies, but hide them so it looks completely stock)

Money spent so far :
    Cost of car = $800AUD
    Shipping = $469AUD
    Service parts = $462AUD
    Modifications =
    Repairs =

So yeah, I hope to be on 3Geez for a while, updating this thread as much as possible.
    Any questions, comments of feedback, don't hesitate.
    Last edited by Calabek; 12-15-2013 at 09:08 PM.

Vehicle
    89 Accord LX/B20A | 87 Accord Hatch "S" Stock | 94 Civic Hatch CX

Re: Calabek : 1987 Accord Aerodeck LXR-S

B18A and window visors.

That's a nice car you got there.

http://pages.videotron.com/omus
    3geez member since July 12 2000

I need these parts!
    https://www.3geez.com/forum/showthread.php?t=67742

Vehicle
    1989 Accord LX-i

Looks like fun. Welcome!
    Dr_Snooz

"I like to take hammers, and just break stuff, just break stuff." - Beavis

1989 Honda Accord LX-i Coupe, 240k miles, MT swap, rear disc swap

Shop manual downloads available here: CLICK TO VIEW

Vehicle
    1987 Aerodeck

Quote Originally Posted by carotman View Post
    B18A and window visors.

That's a nice car you got there.
    Haha thank you. From what I can tell the B18A is the rarer of the two, correct?
    I've seen quite a few window visors on people's 3geez in this forum.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr_Snooz View Post
    Looks like fun. Welcome!
    Thanks.

Vehicle
    1987 Aerodeck

Bought a bunch of service parts last Sunday.

• Battery Century,
    • Oil Penrite 10w-50 (might take it back and change over for 15w-40),
    • Coolant Tectaloy 90+,
    • Camshaft, Alt., PS and A/C belts,
    • Radiator Cap,
    • Oil and Fuel filters (Repco and Ryco respectively), and
    • Spark Plugs NGK.

I also put a bunch of parts on order which will arrive tomorrow (16/12/13).

• Air filter Ryco,
    • Top Radiator Hose, and
    • Lead Set TopGun,

It's a bit of a weird list. I work for an automotive spare parts place in Australia, so I got this stuff relatively cheap. Unfortunately no specific listings for the Aerodeck B18A, so I found listings for the Integra B18A. I hope they're the same. I will find out soon, I guess. Hahaha!

I'm hoping this will cover the basics, but I might order some more stuff next time I'm in work. My main goal now is to get it registered so I can legally drive it.

Stay tuned.

Vehicle
    1987 Aerodeck

More parts:

Top Gun Heavy Duty lead set,
    Top radiator hose,
    Air Filter Ryco.

Vehicle
    1987 Aerodeck

Got a call from the shipping company earlier today and the car should be delivered tomorrow between 8am - midday.

I'm very excited I'll update with some shots tomorrow.

Vehicle
    1987 Aerodeck

It's here ! It's arrived !

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3060.jpg 
Views:	1206 
Size:	101.4 KB 
ID:	8135

Name:	IMG_3061.jpg 
Views:	2035 
Size:	109.0 KB 
ID:	8136

Name:	IMG_3070.jpg 
Views:	466 
Size:	116.1 KB 
ID:	8137

Name:	IMG_3066.jpg 
Views:	1152 
Size:	89.3 KB 
ID:	8138

Name:	IMG_3065.jpg 
Views:	358 
Size:	56.0 KB 
ID:	8139

Name:	IMG_3067.jpg 
Views:	306 
Size:	72.9 KB 
ID:	8140

Name:	IMG_3068.jpg 
Views:	310 
Size:	53.3 KB 
ID:	8141

There are a few small rust spots, nothing major. Digital climate control works beautifully, door and boot seals are in good condition, engine runs well, ONE light pops up. It needs some work until it's up to a presentable spec, but I think it's a great base to start from.
    Last edited by Calabek; 04-15-2017 at 11:04 PM.

Vehicle
    1987 Aerodeck

Here are some closer up photos of some details I missed in the excitement.

Name:	988789_708571319161149_844804758_n.jpg 
Views:	280 
Size:	75.3 KB 
ID:	8142
    ^I think this is an old rego sticker from Japan. Not 100% though.

Name:	995577_708570969161184_333370601_n.jpg 
Views:	361 
Size:	82.6 KB 
ID:	8143
    The interior is fairly mint! A few trim pieces sticking out, or missing, but easily fixed.

Name:	1486733_708570945827853_1628104959_n.jpg 
Views:	299 
Size:	92.8 KB 
ID:	8144
    ^An underhood insulation piece. I'd like to assume these are rare (as are for the CD5s)

Name:	1476514_708486682502946_1267948440_n.jpg 
Views:	296 
Size:	102.5 KB 
ID:	8148

Name:	1499629_708570999161181_1824064009_n.jpg 
Views:	282 
Size:	129.1 KB 
ID:	8145
    ^This was on the pocket of the visor. I wonder what it could say...

Name:	1507659_708571229161158_293932820_n.jpg 
Views:	302 
Size:	101.4 KB 
ID:	8146

Name:	1470200_715145471837067_171357541_n.jpg 
Views:	297 
Size:	90.4 KB 
ID:	8149
    ^Some stickers, getting old...

Name:	1524813_708571039161177_1014159912_n.jpg 
Views:	274 
Size:	47.6 KB 
ID:	8147
    ^Map/Reading light. I assume this is a rare piece too. I don't see any on eBay, and it's in the JDM brochure as an optional extra.
    Last edited by Calabek; 04-15-2017 at 11:12 PM.

Vehicle
    1989 Accord LX-i

zOMG!! Factory window visors. Digital climate control. Folding mirrors. Map lights. Even hood insulation. About the only thing you're missing is the digital dash. The car is an unbelievable haul of JDM goodness. I had no idea when I first saw the pics. Keep this car and love it tenderly. It's a rare specimen.
    Dr_Snooz

Vehicle
    1987 Aerodeck

zOMG!! Factory window visors. Digital climate control. Folding mirrors. Map lights. Even hood insulation. About the only thing you're missing is the digital dash. The car is an unbelievable haul of JDM goodness. I had no idea when I first saw the pics. Keep this car and love it tenderly. It's a rare specimen.
    Haha, thanks. I'm surprised at the goodies too!
    Unhappy that I missed out on the Digi-Dash that AccordB20A sold recently :/ But oh well. MAYBE I'll get lucky and another one will appear.

As for today's update;

BOTH POP-UP LIGHTS NOW WORK! Turns out the connector that controls them was just unplugged, so I plugged it back in and we're good to go!

I also cleaned up 95% of the leaves, dirt and cobwebs in the engine and it looks rather good. Both pop-up lights now work (which saves me money on buying a new light motor), there are a few... suspicious things I need to look into with the motor, but the main thing is that it runs. I also vacuumed the interior and it looks mint as fuck ! the carpet came out beautiful, all the seats came out amazing and I'm really happy with it. Tomorrow after work I'll get into dusting and lubricating the dash.

Vehicle
    1987 Aerodeck

Here's some more stuff I picked up today;

Globes, some glue for some broken trim pieces (temporary until I source some parts - which will be near impossible ), radiator flush, oil flush, some cleaning products for the interior, some rust converter and some authentic Japanese Pocky from one of my regular customers. :3

Vehicle
    1989 Accord LX-i

WTH is Pocky?
    Dr_Snooz

Vehicle
    1987 Aerodeck

WTH is Pocky?
    "Pocky is a Japanese snack food produced by Ezaki Glico. Pocky was first sold in 1966, and consists of chocolate-coated biscuit sticks."
    These are authentic ones. They taste amazing, and the company doesn't skimp on the chocolate. We have an Australia, knock-off brand here and they taste horrible

Vehicle
    1987 Aerodeck

So a small update. I've been spending a lot of time cleaning the interior and it has come up really mint! I have a few problems, but I think I'll be able to handle them.

I have a few pics here if you want to see:
    http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f1...ps6942e6b3.jpg
    http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f1...ps7ab5ec51.jpg
    http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f1...ps95bb7627.jpg
    http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f1...psd74439eb.jpg
    http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f1...ps94485682.jpg
    http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f1...ps8ff81837.jpg
    http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f1...ps0a983547.jpg
    http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f1...psee4c1c0f.jpg

Nothing special yet. Only done the vacuuming, and cleaned the dash, doors and center console. I still have to apply the lube :P

Here's some pictures of rust. Nothing major I guess. A bit worrying that they're both on parts that are very hard to replace (the door and hatch). But I'll drop them off to a body repairer as my body repair knowledge is... none.
    The 1st and 2nd picture are of the same rust spot.

Apart from that, I replaced a couple globes and I've started thinking about paint colours. I wanted to stick with OEM colours, and I was thinking something light / bright so scratches won't show up as easily. I don't see the point of getting a brand new paint job of black if I'm only going to see scratches after the first trip. :/ Not to mention keeping it clean.

Here's a compiled list of the OEM colours: OEM colors - The 3geez Wiki
    I was thinking maybe Sonic Blue Metallic Clearcoat, B-33MZ? Here's what it looks like on a hatch:

What do you guys think? My dad thinks I should repaint it the same colour as it is now as the interior of the doors, engine bay and other visible painted areas are already black. :/ But yeah. What do you guys think?

Vehicle
    1989 Accord LX-i

Quote Originally Posted by Calabek View Post
    I've been spending a lot of time cleaning the interior and it has come up really mint!
    I don't know, I could totally see a dust mote in that third pic. LOL. The car looks amazing.

You have a dash warning light that we don't have here. The upper left-most light looks to be a catalytic converter warning light. Do you know what it's for?

As for paint color, I don't think dark blue is enough different to justify the bother. I'm not sure what you're planning for the car, but given the condition, options and rarity of the car, I would be shooting for a numbers matching full restoration. That one is probably going to be worth a lot of money some day as-is. It will be worth even more if you find a way to preserve the original paint.
    Dr_Snooz

Vehicle
    1987 Aerodeck

I don't know, I could totally see a dust mote in that third pic. LOL. The car looks amazing.

You have a dash warning light that we don't have here. The upper left-most light looks to be a catalytic converter warning light. Do you know what it's for?

As for paint color, I don't think dark blue is enough different to justify the bother. I'm not sure what you're planning for the car, but given the condition, options and rarity of the car, I would be shooting for a numbers matching full restoration. That one is probably going to be worth a lot of money some day as-is. It will be worth even more if you find a way to preserve the original paint.
    Haha, yeah well, you should of seen the vents prior to my work on them. :P Filthy as ever, with leaves and small twigs inside
    thank you.

Uhm, I don't remember exactly what it's for, but I believe it's connected to a heat sensor that's attached to the heat shield for the extractors? I could be wrong, but I think that's what it's for... I will do some more research and get back to you

Yeah, you raise a good point.
    I don't intend on selling the car down the track, but you do raise an interesting point. Maybe I should just keep it black and try my magic on bringing up the existing paint as best I can. Multiple areas will need to be sanded down (where I can see rust has just been painted over) to remove it, leaving a smooth body line. I figured I might end up having to respray anyway. I was I just don't want to deal with a dirty car all the time as well as having scratches show up quite easily. :/

Vehicle
    1987 Aerodeck

Been busy lately. Too many excuses to be honest. I did however finish cleaning the interior. Just need to clean the glass, give it another vacuum, polish the plastics and give it a once over with some shine and it'll be looking extremely mint. I also managed to recover some random trim pieces and find homes for them, which is awesome as it saves me having to find them second hand :P

So today I kicked things into gear. I put it up on jack stands, drained the old fuel out (as requested by my dad), changed the oil, the oil filter, the leads, the plugs, the battery, all the fuses in the engine bay, general cleaning as I went through, and the fuse index sticker ontop of the fuse cover was peeling, so I cleaned both surfaces and glued it back on.

out of all this, the only picture I managed to take was one of the old spark plugs.
    LOL. Sorry. I didn't think the other stuff was too important to take a photo.
    I'll also provide a picture of before and after of the jdm fuse box index sticker. I managed to find a picture of the engine bay and zoom in, then take one of the work I did and put them next to each other. Very happy I could salvage it, cause I doubt I'd get my hands on another one. :P

Vehicle
    1987 Aerodeck

I raided a local wreckyard a couple days ago. There was only an old CA5 hatch there. I grabbed multiple screws, the oil cap, the remaining switches (demister, headlights and dimmer) as well as a dash mat (to suit blue interior - I'll dye it or something to suit mine), fuse box lid (no sticker), heater hose and the exhaust manifold cover (which turned out not to fit). I also got some parkers. One of them was in bad condition (as in faded) and I thought it would be alright but when I got home they looked terrible. I'll just save them as spares and buy some JDM ones after I pass inspection.

Here's a picture of the stuff I bought :

I also put the car up on 4 jack stands so I could get a better look at everything. It all looks okay, brakes will need replacing, calipers need a respray. There is however some damage to the chassis where it looks like someone has tried to jack it up from there. Here's a picture. My dad seems to think we can drop it off to someone and it'll be as simple as welding an L piece there. Unfortunately, this is a MUST fix before inspection, otherwise it will not pass.

And the brakes :
    front - http://tinyurl.com/pbwh52o
    rear - http://tinyurl.com/otb53by

Apart from that I've dropped the coolant, found a few replacement bolts for rusted ones, I've managed to take off the bumper, pull apart the thermostat housing. So yeah, moving a long slowly. Still a bit of work to do.

Vehicle
    1988 Honda Accord LX-i

Looks sweet bro! Very unique. Keep letting us know what's up!
    I work too hard to not have this much fun...

Vehicle
    1987 Aerodeck

Quote Originally Posted by MrSalty View Post
    Looks sweet bro! Very unique. Keep letting us know what's up!
    Thank you.
    And yes, will do. Can't wait to get it registered so I can begin spending money on rare parts and modifications.

3Geez Veteran Civic Accord Honda's Avatar
    Vehicle
    1995 Civic/ 1988 CRX

love the car! aerodecks are my favourite 3gee and i hope to import one here to the states one day! your doing good work on her and shes coming out mint

1988 Honda Accord LX-i Coupe 123k miles.

Vehicle
    1987 Aerodeck

Quote Originally Posted by Civic Accord Honda View Post
    love the car! aerodecks are my favourite 3gee and i hope to import one here to the states one day! your doing good work on her and shes coming out mint
    Yeah, it sucks these cars did not come out in more places.
    Haha, thank you. If you do import one to the states, make sure you get a second one. This car is the most orphan car in that parts are extremely hard to track down! I'm just glad most of mine is there. :P

Vehicle
    1988 Accord LXi Coupe

Just now read this thread. Love the car and it's uniqueness. I am enjoying your progress; keep it up.

Snooz is right about the color , but if you have to take care of rust anyway...might as well make it just what you want. At least the bay and all sills could stay black if you drastically change the color. I just painted and it would have been worlds easier not to have to disassemble the car so much. Guess I am just lazy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    1989 LXi Hatchback - Napster
    1989 LXi Sedan - sold 😒
    1988 LXi Coupe - Old Skool
    1984 Nissan 300ZX A.E. - 50AEZX
    2019 Subaru Forester Touring - snow mobile
    2023 Chevy Bolt EUV - DD

Vehicle
    1987 Aerodeck

Quote Originally Posted by bscanlan View Post
    Just now read this thread. Love the car and it's uniqueness. I am enjoying your progress; keep it up.

Snooz is right about the color , but if you have to take care of rust anyway...might as well make it just what you want. At least the bay and all sills could stay black if you drastically change the color. I just painted and it would have been worlds easier not to have to disassemble the car so much. Guess I am just lazy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Haha thanks, the uniqueness is what drew me to the car also. There is really no other car like it, even the 3geez. It differs from them quite a lot.
    And especially in Australia, there is no vehicle on our roads that looks like this car.

Yeah, I kind of like the black-gold combo. It's grown on me lately. Besides, this is just sexy

Unfortunately we've been hitting 45C everyday for the last week or so, and today was our first day below 40C. It's hard to work on the car in such extreme heat.
    I'm hoping this week I can gather quotes on how much it will be to repair the chassis. Tomorrow I'll be returning some incorrect parts to work and hopefully picking up some new ones

My impatience is growing though. I'd really just like to start modifying !!!