Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wireless ignition system

Accord of the Year - 2007

Vehicle
    1988 Honda Accord, CRV B20 swap.

Wireless ignition system

Well the next project in line is a simple, but secure keyless ignition system. What I have come up with was an RFid system. I purchased this 12V setup, once the FOB gets within 3 inches of the antenna it will send out a 12V signal. I need some help with what kind of relay to use. Something that will trigger the II position on the ignition switch once it receives a 12V signal. So does anybody have any ideas on what relay to use?

Complete repair manual <---- (click here)

DX User
    Vehicle
    1988 accord lx 1968 ford mustang 2001 chevy 1500 4x4

Re: Wireless ignition system

Wouldnt any of the relays that are out there with pig-tails would work. Cant be any harder then doing your dash should be way easier

Vehicle

My biggest concern is the amount of voltage going through the relay. Also I don't know what style relay will connect all 6 needed wires when it receives a 12v signal. The wiring is simple, just not familiar with relays!

Vehicle
    86 hatchback, 1990 Lincoln Towncar

I will try and redraw my schematics I came up with, you need some sort of off delay module and to set up the relays to latch, then you can turn the ignition off but only on with the module, I used switches in the car for ignition and for start, but they are useless without the rfid fob, I set it up to swipe the fob, then you have a delay in which you can turn on the switches, which self latch, once you turn them off, you need the key fob to turn them back on . it's also easy to use the switch in the drivers seat belt as an anti carjacking feature, if you unbuckle the seatbelt with the switches on power is cut to the ignition and the module is required to turn it back on

Vehicle

I've seen a system for sale also, it's for motorcycles, it's hands free, you get on the bike, ignition can be turned on, without you there, the ignition wont work , it's a more powerful reader

Vehicle
    1981 Accord Hatchback, 1984 Accord Sedan

I dunno what kind of power the ignition switch carries though it, but the relay I used for my ignition system is rated to handle 40 amps, it's just one of those standard little square relays with the 87/88/30 numbers written on the terminals. I can't imagine more than that flowing through the ignition switch (I could be wrong though). Also, you could always split the 12v signal and send it to multiple relays to split up the load if you're worried about it.
    Last edited by 2ndGenGuy; 05-02-2013 at 09:57 PM.

Vehicle
    86 Honda Prelude

Do 3g have ignition relay stock? If so you shouldn't have much problems running any kind of relay else it *might* be an issue if you have a 30A relay when everything switched is going through the single relay. I'm not sure on 3g specifically but most cars have 2 wires for the IGN circuit and you should be able to put 2 separate relays for it. Split the 12V switched output from the module into 2 relays.

My remote start system have 2 IGN relays and it was split into those 2 wires at the switch and everything works perfectly but then its a 1g.

How exactly is the wireless module works? Are you going to replace the ignition key switch altogether or?

1986 Honda Prelude build thread
    1981 Honda Accord (sold)

Vehicle
    86 Honda Prelude

Quote Originally Posted by lostforawhile View Post
    I will try and redraw my schematics I came up with, you need some sort of off delay module and to set up the relays to latch, then you can turn the ignition off but only on with the module, I used switches in the car for ignition and for start, but they are useless without the rfid fob, I set it up to swipe the fob, then you have a delay in which you can turn on the switches, which self latch, once you turn them off, you need the key fob to turn them back on . it's also easy to use the switch in the drivers seat belt as an anti carjacking feature, if you unbuckle the seatbelt with the switches on power is cut to the ignition and the module is required to turn it back on
    Why would you want it to latch in this case? Its just a matter of getting the fob near the car to turn/enable the system and move away from the car to turn it off? How would you turn it off if you have it latched?

1981 Honda Accord (sold)

Vehicle

Quote Originally Posted by Hazwan View Post
    Why would you want it to latch in this case? Its just a matter of getting the fob near the car to turn/enable the system and move away from the car to turn it off? How would you turn it off if you have it latched?
    those rfid units only work a few inches away, unless you get one of the expensive systems which can detect the fob a few feet away, the idea is to hide the sensor somewhere in the car, swipe the key fob, then you can power up the car, once you move the key fob away, it switches off again, so you need a relay to latch

Vehicle

you need more then one relay, there's ignition 1,ignition 2, start and accessory, the heater blower alone draws enough current to require a relay for itself

Vehicle

I'm not going to reveal all the details of my system, or post pictures, I simply dont want that info out there, you never know who's reading this post , but I can help to get one going, i would suggest using this thread as a general discussion on how to set one of these up, and for no one to reveal system specifics, you could have someone who knows you see this and then know how to disable your security, I'm not saying anyone here on this board, but other people see these posts
    Last edited by lostforawhile; 05-03-2013 at 12:10 AM.

LX User
    Vehicle
    89 Dx, 89 LXi

You could simply use an entry level Viper remote starter unit. There is a white/blue input wire that will trigger the start process. 1 to 3 negative pulses.

Wonder if something along the lines of a Raspberry Pi would make for a decent logic controller to provide latching for ignition and accessory.

Sent from my rooted Samsung

LX User
    Vehicle
    89 Dx, 89 LXi

When the rfid unit sees a valid signal, pulses remote starter, car starts. Press a switch, buckle belt or the like to fire a logic controller to latch the ignition and accessory relays in the remote start unit (crack it open, do a little soldering) to enable driving the car. To shut down, pulse switch again to shut down. In theory not that bad of a process and not too terribly complex to implement. You could get real tricky and do all your wiring inside the fusebox, and remove/unplug your entire key harness. Doing so will leave you with no backup in case the rfid gets wiped out or shits the bed.

Sent from my rooted Samsung

Vehicle

Honestly, the iginition system on this car is very easy to bypass. I don't think my car is in danger of bring stolen. I really just like the idea of getting on the car, and pushing a button to start the car. I'm going to either bypass the steering lock, or maybe rig some kind of actuator.

Vehicle
    86 Honda Accord sedan B-series

They have kit for this saw it in person that's my project as well

200+ ALL MOTOR LS VTEC

Vehicle

The kits are way to expensive, I got three of these rfid devices for $17.00 lol.

Vehicle
    1989 Accord LX-i

Another cool project!
    Dr_Snooz

"I like to take hammers, and just break stuff, just break stuff." - Beavis

1989 Honda Accord LX-i Coupe, 240k miles, MT swap, rear disc swap

Shop manual downloads available here: CLICK TO VIEW

Vehicle
    86 Honda Prelude

If I understand correctly, you're going to use the module to directly switch the IGN to on once the fob is within the range right?

That would be a bad idea if the fob went out of range when you're driving or something LOL unless you went with lost's idea with latching the relay on but then it would be a pita to turn it off. Better idea would be have the module to enable another switch to turn the IGN on/off and obviously enables the start button to work too.

I've seen push button ignition/start button without the actual keyless module on ebay. Shouldn't be too hard to get the button to work as ignition/accessories on and functioning as a start button as well (Y)

edit: I'm too tired but please ignore whatever I said up there if it doesn't make any sense LOL

1981 Honda Accord (sold)

Vehicle

Makes since, I figured I will use my center console. With the lid closed the keys can't move out of range. I thought about setting up the push button to activate position I for 5 minutes when pressed once. What I'm worried about is that means position I will be active for 5 minutes while position II is also active once I start the car.

Vehicle
    86 Honda Prelude

Man this thread makes me wanna do this to my car too haah!

Made a quick google and found this and looks like this might work in your case

Switch, right next to the fuse enables the RFID reader, which when the fob is already within range, it would activate the latch relay, turning the pole 1, 2 and 3 relays (ACC, IGN I, IGN II)?

You gonna need another button for start obviously.

I'm half awake atm so excuse me if this doesn't make any sense at all

Mind sharing where you got the RFID module?

1981 Honda Accord (sold)

Vehicle

Quote Originally Posted by Hazwan View Post
    Man this thread makes me wanna do this to my car too haah!

Made a quick google and found this and looks like this might work in your case

Switch, right next to the fuse enables the RFID reader, which when the fob is already within range, it would activate the latch relay, turning the pole 1, 2 and 3 relays (ACC, IGN I, IGN II)?

You gonna need another button for start obviously.

I'm half awake atm so excuse me if this doesn't make any sense at all

Mind sharing where you got the RFID module?
    Interesting, gonna have to figure out what relay was used.

Here is the units I got.

Transponder Proximity Detector RFID Key Fob 3 Units | eBay

Vehicle

Wonder if something like this could be used to accomplish what I am trying to so.

TECO SG2-10HR-A

DX User
    Vehicle
    1988 accord lx 1968 ford mustang 2001 chevy 1500 4x4

legend that wiring diagram would be the easy way to do it, just build a relay box or steal one out of a junkyard car

Vehicle

Actually just started looking around ebay, they have exactly what I need for a nice price.

http://item.mobileweb.ebay.com/viewi...id=30981745131

Vehicle
    86 Honda Prelude

Quote Originally Posted by Legend_master View Post
    Actually just started looking around ebay, they have exactly what I need for a nice price.

http://item.mobileweb.ebay.com/viewi...id=30981745131
    How does that work? I don't see a fob or anything to 'arm/disarm' the system? Are you going to hook your RFID module to that?

Wheres the purple and yellow wire connect to? I assume to the arm/disarm output from another module/alarm or something? If thats the case then (Y)

Item description made me lol for some reason

1981 Honda Accord (sold)