Thread: engine swaps for my 88 honda accord dx

DX User
    Vehicle
    1988 Honda Accord DX

engine swaps for my 88 honda accord dx

hello im pretty new here so i don't know anything yet. i was curious what kind of engine can i put into my 88 honda accord dx?

Vehicle
    1986 Honda Prelude 2.0Si-T

Re: engine swaps for my 88 honda accord dx

Welcome to the forum! You can find all your answers in the FAQ section. Also there is a great search engine on top

For a quick answer, you can put any motor into your car
    -Gio
    My E85 Turbo Build
    5280FEST

LX User
    Vehicle
    89 LX-i sedan

While you can put any engine in the car with enough time, money and work, California will not let you. You can check with a smog ref station to see what the state overlords will let you put in the car. If I remember correctly it must be from a newer Honda car. You will need to have the swap certified by the smog ref station.

Vehicle
    86 hatchback, 1990 Lincoln Towncar

what is wrong with what you have? these are great engines, and you can make power with them, they also have torque which most Honda engines dont have

Vehicle

Quote Originally Posted by HLW View Post
    While you can put any engine in the car with enough time, money and work, California will not let you. You can check with a smog ref station to see what the state overlords will let you put in the car. If I remember correctly it must be from a newer Honda car. You will need to have the swap certified by the smog ref station.
    Yes, and no. You CAN do it, and have it be BAR'ed, pass emissions, etc. Look it up, been done plenty of times. There's plenty of peeps in CA with swaps on here...
    -Gio
    My E85 Turbo Build
    5280FEST

Vehicle

Quote Originally Posted by lostforawhile View Post
    what is wrong with what you have? these are great engines, and you can make power with them, they also have torque which most Honda engines dont have
    Although I love the A20s, that's a hard to agree. All the newer honda engines probably make almost twice what these make, both tq and hp.
    -Gio
    My E85 Turbo Build
    5280FEST

Vehicle
    86 LX JDM B20A

Quote Originally Posted by gfrg88 View Post
    Although I love the A20s, that's a hard to agree. All the newer honda engines probably make almost twice what these make, both tq and hp.
    Clearly you've come prepared to offer fair comparative data to support that perspective. Let's have it, we're only a young 7 post thread yet.
    First i would question the definition of "newer" as it pertains to the topic of 88 model reasonable swap suggestions. Those would be including 15- 20 year old b and h series engines which is what struck me as humorous so I couldnt resist

Vehicle
    1989 Honda Accord LX-I

A16a1 88/91
    a18a 110/112
    a20a1-a20a2 98/109
    a20a3-a20a4 year 84-87 98/102
    a20a3-a20a4 year 88-89 120/122
    b16sir1 168/116
    b16sir2 158/112
    b16a1 150/111
    b16a2 160/111
    b16a3 160/111
    b16a5 174/111
    b16a6 158/111
    b17a1 160/117
    b18a 100/128
    b18a1 130/121
    b18b1 142/127
    b18c 197/133
    b18c1 180/128
    b18c2 170/128
    b18c3 177/112
    b18c4 169/128
    b18c5 197/130
    b18c6 192/131
    b18c7 187/127
    b20b-b204 126/133
    b20b-b20z2 147/133

just a little list to compare to b series. All are hp first tq second.
    LIFE IS SHORT, DRAG IT OUT!

LX User
    Vehicle
    89 LX-i sedan

Yes, and no. You CAN do it, and have it be BAR'ed, pass emissions, etc. Look it up, been done plenty of times. There's plenty of peeps in CA with swaps on here...
    I wasn't saying it can not be done, just that CA puts more limits on what you can swap in. I was thinking of doing a B20B.B20Z swap until I found out that CA does not allow a swapped engine to come form a different type of vehicle ( no engine from a truck or SUV can be legally swapped into a car in CA if the car is smog controlled) since the B20B/B20Z was only sold on the CRV and the CRV is not considered a car by CA, it will fail a BAR referee station inspection. That is why you need to check what engines CA will let you swap in before you start the swap.

CA used to just require that the engine be from the same manufacturer I.E. a Honda could take an engine form a different Honda or an Acura. Now it has to be from a newer or same year vehicle of the same class.

Vehicle

I wasn't saying it can not be done, just that CA puts more limits on what you can swap in. I was thinking of doing a B20B.B20Z swap until I found out that CA does not allow a swapped engine to come form a different type of vehicle ( no engine from a truck or SUV can be legally swapped into a car in CA if the car is smog controlled) since the B20B/B20Z was only sold on the CRV and the CRV is not considered a car by CA, it will fail a BAR referee station inspection. That is why you need to check what engines CA will let you swap in before you start the swap.

CA used to just require that the engine be from the same manufacturer I.E. a Honda could take an engine form a different Honda or an Acura. Now it has to be from a newer or same year vehicle of the same class.

That's an easy one, just get a b18 block, and stroke it! They don't check internals
    -Gio
    My E85 Turbo Build
    5280FEST

Vehicle
    86 hatchback, 1990 Lincoln Towncar

That's an easy one, just get a b18 block, and stroke it! They don't check internals
    I know the law is designed to make you get rid of your car, it has nothing to do with air quality. what difference does it make if it's a truck engine if all the emissions for that engine are in place? the engine doesnt know if it's in a truck or car.

LX User
    Vehicle
    89 LX-i sedan

Stroking a b18 to 2L is why the B20B/B20Z block is taller than the B18. When I found the B20B/B20Z isn't allowed I decided to go with a B18 when I am ready to do the swap.

Quote Originally Posted by lostforawhile View Post
    I know the law is designed to make you get rid of your car, it has nothing to do with air quality. what difference does it make if it's a truck engine if all the emissions for that engine are in place? the engine doesnt know if it's in a truck or car.
    I agree with you Lost, but someone up in Sacramento thought it was a good idea to keep people from putting car engines in trucks and truck engines in cars.

It wouldn't even be an issue if the governator hadn't signed a law that removed the 25 year smog requirement and replaced it with all cars '75 and newer need to be smogged. Cause the 89 is 25 this year.

Vehicle
    1989 Accord LX-i

Don't get me started on CARB. Somehow this state thinks the earth will die if my truck's catalytic converter doesn't have the correct sticker on it, but fracking goes completely unregulated. Heck, my state rep even sends me mail telling me about how wonderful it is and how he's doing everything he can to promote it. The radioactive debris pile from Fukushima hitting the California coast this month bears no mention and no action, but some poor sap's old beater that he uses to commute to his crappy, low-paying job is the single greatest threat to the ecosystem and must by all means be taken off the road. The farmers are free to plant all the deadly GMO crops they want, and spray them liberally with chemical poisons, just as long as the truck taking the produce to market has passed a smog test and paid its registration blood money to the state.

Lost is right. If they gave a crap about air quality, they'd be setting up more radiation detectors along the coast and publicizing the numbers, not squeezing poor people who have to drive old cars. It's time for a serious house-cleaning in the state capitol.
    Dr_Snooz

"I like to take hammers, and just break stuff, just break stuff." - Beavis

1989 Honda Accord LX-i Coupe, 240k miles, MT swap, rear disc swap

Shop manual downloads available here: CLICK TO VIEW

Vehicle

Stroking a b18 to 2L is why the B20B/B20Z block is taller than the B18. When I found the B20B/B20Z isn't allowed I decided to go with a B18 when I am ready to do the swap.
    Brian Crower 2.16L Stroker Kit LS B18A1 B18B1 95mm Stroke [BC0029 BC0029LW] - $1,910.40 : Real Street Performance Engine Parts, Pistons Rods Cams Valvetrain and More

Keep the b18 stamp on the block...
    -Gio
    My E85 Turbo Build
    5280FEST