Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: info on budget turbo setups

Vehicle
    87 prelude

Re: info on budget turbo setups

Quote Originally Posted by MessyHonda View Post
    This is for a true LSD we had a member here send his A20 diff to quaife LSD and they said that it has the same measurements as the b16. I would not recommend phantom grip because then you would need to machine your spider gears and it only puts friction on the gears. It would work but might not be able to take a 300-500 hp. We have a member here who has mega squirt and has made a trigger wheel on the crank. Very cool stuff then you get rid of the distributor and have a coil pack.
    Hell yea nice, i will definately be looking into that when i get the money. Thats nice info, i searched a little before and i never came acrossed that, that makes me feel better because i know its only a matter of time before i break a tranny, so far its only been 2 axles. And yea my brother used one of those phantom grips in his vw and it was pretty much garbage. Yea megasquirt with no dizzy would be great, pretty much unlimited abilities, again my brother had megasquirt on his vw and it inspired me to some day go that route.

Vehicle
    1999 Penalty Box

Guys, knock it off and keep it civil. A new guy came and shared his experiences with us. He may have been a bit crass at times, but jeez guys, don't get all butthurt.

There are going to be quite a few more people doing turbo builds with these motors, now that I brought a bunch of cast T3 manifolds over from the Netherlands.

87turbolude, you've learned a fair bit about putting stuff together cheaply. Do you hang out over on HMT or GRM?

Megasquirt is trivial to add to an engine. Unless you need the extra features of MS3, just find an MS2 setup and run the MS2 Extra code.

3Geez Veteran
    Vehicle
    88coupe

Lol this is funny. Not trying to bicker or anything but my first turbo a 20th was done on a fresh outta high school budget so I know my fare share if penny pinching. So come correct when you try to info. We are glad u felt the need to update our outdated stickies but when you are new to us and you get defensive when we ask for proof you come off like an asshole. We are all about the sharing of experiences and knowledge. Time slip is coll but snap us some pictures of your set up. We are curious.

Also how much is a megasquirt set up? I'm curious to see how much It even cost, I couldn't find a good price when I looked.

Quote Originally Posted by CAH View Post
    pullin up turbo spoolin fast lookin fly like a 3g like a 3g like a 3g

Vehicle
    87 prelude

Quote Originally Posted by Vanilla Sky View Post
    Guys, knock it off and keep it civil. A new guy came and shared his experiences with us. He may have been a bit crass at times, but jeez guys, don't get all butthurt.

There are going to be quite a few more people doing turbo builds with these motors, now that I brought a bunch of cast T3 manifolds over from the Netherlands.

87turbolude, you've learned a fair bit about putting stuff together cheaply. Do you hang out over on HMT or GRM?

Megasquirt is trivial to add to an engine. Unless you need the extra features of MS3, just find an MS2 setup and run the MS2 Extra code.
    No ive only been on HMT like once, basicly ive just trialed and erorred stuff. Me and my brother pretty much breathe and live turbos everyday, he has turbo vws. Except for recently, the last 3 years i hardly did anything but messsed with my car and turbo setups with what money i had to do it, which isnt much.

Vehicle
    87 prelude

Quote Originally Posted by Tdurr View Post
    Lol this is funny. Not trying to bicker or anything but my first turbo a 20th was done on a fresh outta high school budget so I know my fare share if penny pinching. So come correct when you try to info. We are glad u felt the need to update our outdated stickies but when you are new to us and you get defensive when we ask for proof you come off like an asshole. We are all about the sharing of experiences and knowledge. Time slip is coll but snap us some pictures of your set up. We are curious.

Also how much is a megasquirt set up? I'm curious to see how much It even cost, I couldn't find a good price when I looked.
    Well i may seem new to u guys but ive been lingering around since i was 18, which has been over 5 years, but i guess i just got an account on here a couple years ago. Still yet, whatever u say, some of the info i put on here was not on here, specificly the distributor mod. As far as me coming off as an asshole, thats becuase it pisses me off when people tries to talk to me like im a dumbass. And i think my brother got his megasquirt setup for around $500 with harness and the ecu was already built, could of been maybe $600 i cant remember.

Vehicle
    1999 Penalty Box

For the MS setup, it really depends on what you need to do. An unassembled MS3 kit with assembled MS3 processor board goes for just under $400.

MegaSquirt-III Engine Management System w/PCB3 - UnAssembled Kit with black case DIYAutoTune.com

MS2 kits are about $100 cheaper.

MegaSquirt-II Programmable EFI System PCB3.0 - Kit w/ BLACK CASE DIYAutoTune.com

Other costs to take into consideration are fueling requirements, and changes to the ignition system, both of which can add a significant amount to the end build cost.

I have been in contact with DIYAutoTune about their PnP products, but there is a 10 order minimum, and we have 2 slightly different EFI systems on these Accords. It would cost about $4,000 to have the first 10 ECUs built.

If you take the path I'm taking with MS and waiting out for deals on used parts, you can get the whole shebang for under $200. You usually have to make board or component repairs down at that price point, though.

Vehicle
    86 LX JDM B20A

Quote Originally Posted by Tdurr View Post

I had the confusion about a year ago while shopping for Megajolt, it appeared it was discontinued and renamed with improvements but I know thats not the case lol

87turbolude , Tdurr lets call the mud spitting what it is..."we" or anybody by forum human nature , like to see feel touch the good stuff like track times....that troll proofs the entire conversation right? Troll defense is the likely source of butthurting, i think were good here now anyways,
    I remember, and its still here, all the insanity of your first set ups Tdurr, you put it all out there for us to rip on lol, it was bad ass all the samethough wern't it

87turbolude Im glad that name wasnt taken its a hellova lot easier to type than ieatvw****** lol
    Last edited by 2oodoor; 02-21-2014 at 04:01 AM.

Vehicle
    89/accord/lxi

Psst a html link to post photos. Nice number's. Messy Is right about the phantom grip LSD I would recommend using the OBX LSD and replacing the bolts that they come with arp blots my buddy's here are using that set up to run 9's in their civics. Plus the obx have a lifetime warranty.

Vehicle
    1999 Penalty Box

Quote Originally Posted by 2oodoor View Post
    87turbolude Im glad that name wasnt taken its a hellova lot easier to type than ieatvw****** lol
    Dude, my computer passwords are entire sentences.

Vehicle
    '87 Prelude DX, '00 Nissan Frontier, '87 Suzuki Samurai DIESEL!

Quote Originally Posted by Vanilla Sky View Post
    I have been in contact with DIYAutoTune about their PnP products, but there is a 10 order minimum, and we have 2 slightly different EFI systems on these Accords. It would cost about $4,000 to have the first 10 ECUs built.

For a PnP? Do they have the right connectors available to plug directly into the factory harness? I didn't think they were still available. That would be cool if they are.

C|

DX User

A year later and no pics??? Why is this site dead???

Vehicle
    1986 Honda Prelude 2.0Si-T

Quote Originally Posted by 203lxihatch View Post
    A year later and no pics??? Why is this site dead???
    Cause everyone is on the Facebook group page instead. Easier access. But if you really wanna see this guy's setup, I believe it's on PP.
    -Gio
    My E85 Turbo Build
    5280FEST