Thread: 91 Prelude engine

LX User
    Vehicle
    1987 accord lx

91 Prelude engine

I know this isn't the place to post this, but I figure you guys know a lot about Lude engines, and I have a quick question.

On my friend's 91 Lude SI the crank pulley (the outer part that the alternator belt rides on) came off the main part of the pully. Is this thing bolted on, pressed on? I took a quick look at it for him this afternoon but I couldn't jack it up to really see how it is put together.

Can someone tell me how it's put together so I can give him advice about fixing it. I'm not gonna do the work, and he's totally ignorant about cars so he's gonna take it to a shop. I just don't want them to sell him a new pulley if he just needs 3 bolts to keep it together.

thanks!

Vehicle
    1989 Accord SEI Coupe, 08 Ford E-250
    The prelude motor is a bit different than the accord motor and if im correct out main pulley is all one piece. I would ask the guy at www.ludespeed.com if no one else here knows.....

Vehicle
    85 Suburban, 86 Accord EX-i, 89 Accord SE-i, 90 Accord EX-R,
    I looked in my factory Prelude manual and looked it up online but it's one piece for sure.
    www.b20accord.com

LX User
    Vehicle
    '89 Prelude Si 4WS
    crank pulley on the b21a1 and b20a5 is one piece, and is bolted on...

btw, alternator belt on a 3g lude is on the inner part of the pulley, power steering belt is the outer, smaller one... i can take a pic of my engine to prove it to you if you'd like...
    http://www.merlindavis.com

LX User
    Vehicle
    1987 accord lx
    Cool -- thanks a lot guys!

Sure, I believe that I got the belts mixed up. The pulley came apart on his car, the belts came off, and I only looked at it quickly to tell him that the problem was the pulley -- I didn't get a chance to think about how the belts are routed.

It's weird that the thing just came apart. I've NEVER seen that happen on a car... Basically the outer run just broke off of the pulley -- WEIRD!

I broke the pulley on my girlfriend's 86 accord LXI when I wedged it as I was trying to loosen the bolt when doing her t-belt (I then went and got a junkyard pulley for $10 and an impact wrench to finish the job). But I've never seen a pulley just break on its own.