Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Quarter Wave Resonator to Kill Exhaust Drone

3Geez Veteran
    Vehicle
    88coupe

Re: Quarter Wave Resonator to Kill Exhaust Drone

that looks pretty freaking cool. im interested to see how it works out.

Quote Originally Posted by CAH View Post
    pullin up turbo spoolin fast lookin fly like a 3g like a 3g like a 3g

Vehicle
    1989 Lx-i Hatchback

Niles , it doesn't surprise me that the tone changes with environmental conditions. a good place to understand this is Ideal gas laws and environmental effects on such systems. I have a resonator just like the louvered one you showed. However in my case I think the muffler is the cause for the drone, it did sound nice prior to welding the 60 series flow-master on

1989 Accord Lx-i hatchback (current DD project)
    1986 Olds Cutlass 442 clone (never ending project)
    3Geez resident body man
    Owner of Wreck-less auto body

Vehicle
    87 LXi Hatch

Quote Originally Posted by Tdurr View Post
    that looks pretty freaking cool. im interested to see how it works out.
    I will definately post a video so everyone can see how the system evolves by changing the components. That was the most difficult part for me. Everyone says, "I have this setup," or "add this part," but rarely does anyone explain how it affected their system.

Quote Originally Posted by gp02a0083 View Post
    Niles , it doesn't surprise me that the tone changes with environmental conditions. a good place to understand this is Ideal gas laws and environmental effects on such systems. I have a resonator just like the louvered one you showed. However in my case I think the muffler is the cause for the drone, it did sound nice prior to welding the 60 series flow-master on
    I could have done more research on the physics of the system, but I guess I wasn't motivated enough. After getting a rough idea of how long the 1/4 Wave resoantor had to be and the dimensions of the space I had to work with, I just went with it. Plus I don't have materials for prototyping.

The turbulence I will intorduce into the pipe with the Powerstick should be enough to break up the buzz and probably smooth out the bass note a little.

Vehicle
    86 hatchback, 1990 Lincoln Towncar

Niles , there is plenty of room under the whole car, plenty to even tuck a 2.5" system nice up until the rear section
    not really it took me a long time to get my 2 inch system tucked up under the car, I have the full length S&S header, so that made it even worse, I have a build thread up on that entire system

Vehicle
    1989 Lx-i Hatchback

Quote Originally Posted by lostforawhile View Post
    not really it took me a long time to get my 2 inch system tucked up under the car, I have the full length S&S header, so that made it even worse, I have a build thread up on that entire system
    I didn't have a problem when i mocked up both my DC headers and the stock down pipe. If you used the stock mounting locations it would have been fine..... don't believe me then here's some proof of my 2.25" SS system , I have more than enough clearance around to get my hands in there with heavy welding gloves on so more than 1/2" easily. Even with the stock support locations it fits as if it was factory and I have all my heat shields
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN8371_zps24e4f6f3.jpg 
Views:	856 
Size:	87.4 KB 
ID:	6185
    Last edited by gp02a0083; 05-02-2014 at 08:57 AM.

3Geez resident body man

Vehicle

I didn't have a problem when i mocked up both my DC headers and the stock down pipe. If you used the stock mounting locations it would have been fine..... don't believe me then here's some proof of my 2.25" SS system , I have more than enough clearance around to get my hands in there with heavy welding gloves on so more than 1/2" easily. Even with the stock support locations it fits as if it was factory and I have all my heat shields
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN8371_zps24e4f6f3.jpg 
Views:	856 
Size:	87.4 KB 
ID:	6185
    this isnt a stock down pipe, it's a full tube header,so four tubes coming under the car, and it ends up at some odd angle so I had to make a piece that bends and goes up to line it up. plus I have that side exhaust

Vehicle

Vehicle
    87/honda lxi accord, 04 xterra, 87 f-150, 93 f-350, 75 camaro, 01 gsx-r

hear is one the I had on a pickup that worked great.
    MBRP Resonators - Free Shipping on All Orders @ JEGS

Vehicle
    87 LXi Hatch

Quote Originally Posted by JohnBoy View Post
    hear is one the I had on a pickup that worked great.
    MBRP Resonators - Free Shipping on All Orders @ JEGS
    What was the internal construction like on the MBRP? Was it hollow or was there something inside?

Vehicle

I would like to build one like that to add to my system, but I dont think I have space for it. The point in my exhaust was to build everything, even the muffler, only things not built are the header and the vintage dynomax tips,even those have work in them modifying things

Vehicle
    87 LXi Hatch

You have done great work Lost. I used your exhaust build thread to help me decide what I wanted to do to my car. I am a garage mechanic with limited tools (I even had to borrow a welder lol), I wish I had your facilities.

Very psyched to get my powerstick in the mail though, and glad I can support a small US company. TBH, I think the powerstick will do everything that my 1/4 wave resonator does. Most everyone who incorporated a 1/4 wave is putting them on high-performance and big block classics.

Vehicle

if I have a lot of drone, I may have room for one of these, right where the stock muffler would have been, there is a 90, I could add a flange and cap it off for now. It's called a hemholtz resonator, there is a formula for tuning these, but you really need the frequency of the drone. There are a lot of good guitar tuning apps for smart phones that will show a particular frequency, or you can record it and play it back through one of them, then you use the formula to calculate the length of the pipe for the resonator

Vehicle

you know that the little pipe sticking out of the factory intake pipe does the same thing right? but to eliminate intake drone instead of exhaust drone,

Vehicle

Quote Originally Posted by 2oodoor View Post
    Wow, congrats on the objective accomplished !
    2door you ought to add hemholtz resonator to the title, as thats the technical name for this, when I get mine running, I will have to measure the drone frequency so I can calculate the length, I can run one straight back from the bend where the exhaust exists the car on the side , to where the muffler used to be.

Vehicle
    1989 Lx-i Hatchback

Quote Originally Posted by lostforawhile View Post
    this isnt a stock down pipe, it's a full tube header,so four tubes coming under the car, and it ends up at some odd angle so I had to make a piece that bends and goes up to line it up. plus I have that side exhaust
    i said i tried it with my DC down pipe as well , didn't have problems at all and the "stock" down pipe is not so "stock" anymore on my setup :P . Even with the header you have , other clearance issues are noted, but would not affect the exhaust fitment if was properly designed and fabricated. you even said yourself that there "is plenty of room to work under the hatchbacks" the 2" should not have been difficult at all. measure the resonance range at speed under load, otherwise your wasting your time. I have other comments about the workmanship on it, but ill keep things civil.

Niles, good work with thinking ahead and even adding some corrosion prevention.
    Last edited by gp02a0083; 05-02-2014 at 10:06 PM.

3Geez resident body man

Vehicle

i said i tried it with my DC down pipe as well , didn't have problems at all and the "stock" down pipe is not so "stock" anymore on my setup :P . Even with the header you have , other clearance issues are noted, but would not affect the exhaust fitment if was properly designed and fabricated. you even said yourself that there "is plenty of room to work under the hatchbacks" the 2" should not have been difficult at all. measure the resonance range at speed under load, otherwise your wasting your time. I have other comments about the workmanship on it, but ill keep things civil.

Niles, good work with thinking ahead and even adding some corrosion prevention.
    I was planning on measuring the resonance under load, I know the formula for determining the proper length once i have that information

Vehicle
    87/honda lxi accord, 04 xterra, 87 f-150, 93 f-350, 75 camaro, 01 gsx-r

Quote Originally Posted by niles View Post
    What was the internal construction like on the MBRP? Was it hollow or was there something inside?
    if I remember it was hollow no louvers just a bunch of holes nice and smooth

Vehicle

Quote Originally Posted by JohnBoy View Post
    if I remember it was hollow no louvers just a bunch of holes nice and smooth
    similar to this one?

Vehicle
    87 LXi Hatch

That is like what I was shopping for lost & johnboy. But they were all more than I was willing to spend or glasspack. I should've tried to convince you to build me one too lol. Love the stainless packing you added!

I'm still waiting on my powerstick from classicchambered. They had to get in more inserts before they could build mine...

Vehicle

this is what I used they sell this in rolls for packing mufflers too, you dont need to buy an entire kit, he created the size I used and put it on the website so I wouldnt have to order a bunch of extra Muffler Packing

Vehicle
    87 LXi Hatch

I installed the powerstick (26" long) this week and I am very happy with the results. Put it directly after my cat. There is no packing inside of it so there is no worry of anything burning out over time. Its just a louvered core with chambers to break up the sound.

Sent from beneath a 3Gee with a wrench in the other hand

Vehicle
    87 LXi Hatch

Here is a before and after video I made. Both are filmed on a cold engine because I am too impatient to wait for the car to warm up. It is way quiet inside the car, so I can get back to enjoying music and conversation. At 70mph and above the car is whisper quiet. I didn't exceed 40mph in the video.

Sent from beneath a 3Gee with a wrench in the other hand
    Last edited by niles; 05-23-2014 at 04:55 PM. Reason: Embedding video