Thread: ****please help**** Hello from Canada!!!!

DX User
    Vehicle
    1982 Accord

****please help**** Hello from Canada!!!!

Hey guys!

Hello from Canada. I am new to the board, and what brought me here is my newly recently acquired 1982 Honda Accord. It is a hatchack, original 80,000 km's and with almost no rust. An older lady owned the car for 27 years and literally only drove it to buy groceries. Interior is all red and in pristine condition. I hope to post some photos once the weather gets warmer here in Toronto.

Any who, i've been spending the last few weeks obtaining a ton of parts to just get her essentially brand new since it is a 31 year old car. Now the biggest problem I've been having is the timing belt and water pump. Apparently from 82-83 the Canadian version of the accord came with an EL 1.6 motor while all the USDM versions had a 1.8L motor. I purchased a timing belt and water pump from an ebay seller not knowing that it is for a 1.8 USDM motor. I've been searching high and low for a 1.6 EL timing belt and water pump but have come up with absolutely nothing.

Now my questions is does anyone know if the timing belt and water pump for a USDM second gen 1.8 motor is the same for a Canadian/Euro 1.6 EL motor?

Thanks you! Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Regards,
    Chris

3Geez Veteran

Re: ****please help**** Hello from Canada!!!!

One thread per issue, please.

DX User
    Vehicle
    1982 Accord

Quote Originally Posted by Charlie View Post
    One thread per issue, please.
    Apologies.

Vehicle
    86 LX JDM B20A

Welcome! I don't know the answer to your concerns and was hoping a 2nd lgen knowledgable member would get to you soon. You may can go to Rock Auto and look up part numbers and compare.

DX User
    Vehicle
    1982 Accord

Quote Originally Posted by 2oodoor View Post
    Welcome! I don't know the answer to your concerns and was hoping a 2nd lgen knowledgable member would get to you soon. You may can go to Rock Auto and look up part numbers and compare.
    Thanks a lot! I'll look into it.

Chris

Vehicle
    1989 Accord LX-i

I too don't know the answer, but welcome anyway!
    Dr_Snooz

"I like to take hammers, and just break stuff, just break stuff." - Beavis

1989 Honda Accord LX-i Coupe, 240k miles, MT swap, rear disc swap

Shop manual downloads available here: CLICK TO VIEW

LX User
    Vehicle
    1988 Honda Accord LX-i 2 Door Coupe 5 Speed

Quote Originally Posted by ChiGz View Post
    Hey guys!

Hello from Canada. I am new to the board, and what brought me here is my newly recently acquired 1982 Honda Accord. It is a hatchack, original 80,000 km's and with almost no rust. An older lady owned the car for 27 years and literally only drove it to buy groceries. Interior is all red and in pristine condition. I hope to post some photos once the weather gets warmer here in Toronto.

Any who, i've been spending the last few weeks obtaining a ton of parts to just get her essentially brand new since it is a 31 year old car. Now the biggest problem I've been having is the timing belt and water pump. Apparently from 82-83 the Canadian version of the accord came with an EL 1.6 motor while all the USDM versions had a 1.8L motor. I purchased a timing belt and water pump from an ebay seller not knowing that it is for a 1.8 USDM motor. I've been searching high and low for a 1.6 EL timing belt and water pump but have come up with absolutely nothing.

Now my questions is does anyone know if the timing belt and water pump for a USDM second gen 1.8 motor is the same for a Canadian/Euro 1.6 EL motor?

Thanks you! Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Regards,
    Chris
    RockAuto lists the 1.8L as being for the Canadian market, are you sure that this one has a 1.6L? RockAuto also lists a timing belt and water pump for the 1.6 but they are different than the 1.8L. Otherwise, I have no ideas as I have a third gen but just thought I would let you know what I found.

3Geez Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by zenapup View Post
    RockAuto lists the 1.8L as being for the Canadian market, are you sure that this one has a 1.6L? RockAuto also lists a timing belt and water pump for the 1.6 but they are different than the 1.8L. Otherwise, I have no ideas as I have a third gen but just thought I would let you know what I found.
    Wikipedia lists the 1.6L EL1 for the Canadian and European markets. Canada kept the 1.6 but Europe and Asia went to the 1.8L EY with the facelift. The US had the 1.8L EK1, then the 1.8L ES2 and fuel-injected SE-i ES3.

Vehicle
    87 Accord LX, 88 Accord Ex-i, 88 accord LX, 02 Hyundi Accent, 1996 Dodge Ram, 1993 Dodge Stealth and a 1990 Jeep cherokee

Hello From Kelowna BC :-)

Birthdays are good for you!! Statistics show that the people who have the most live the longest.

Vehicle
    86 Honda Prelude

Quote Originally Posted by zenapup View Post
    82-83 has the 1602cc EL1 or 1800 EK1 depending on the market while the 84-85 have the 1800 ES/ET whatever the fuck they have and they're basically 2 different cars with totally different engines

I swear most parts are interchangable between the EL1 and the EK1 but then I could be wrong

1986 Honda Prelude build thread
    1981 Honda Accord (sold)

DX User
    Vehicle
    1982 Accord

Thanks so much guys!

I actually ordered a 1.6 timing belt and water pump from rock auto so I have both sets since it wasn't terribly expensive.

I'm loving my 2G. Runs like a champ even during those -30 Degrees Celcius Canadian days. I plan to rig up a set of coilovers for the car and if I do I would love to share it with the forum since I know there really aren't any options for lowering with the exception of spring cutting.

Photos to follow soon .

Appreciate the help!

Chris

DX User
    Vehicle
    1982 Accord

Quote Originally Posted by Hazwan View Post
    82-83 has the 1602cc EL1 or 1800 EK1 depending on the market while the 84-85 have the 1800 ES/ET whatever the fuck they have and they're basically 2 different cars with totally different engines

I swear most parts are interchangable between the EL1 and the EK1 but then I could be wrong
    Loving your 81! Looks awesome from your sig.

DX User
    Vehicle
    1982 Accord

So I ordered a timing belt for a 1.8 as well as a 1.6 second gen accord. By the looks of it they appear to be identical. The only difference I found is that the nipple on the water pump where it bolts onto a pulley has some differences, but won't know if it will actually makes a difference until I do the change in a few weeks.

Will keep you guys posted, but just thought someone else might find this information useful.

Chris

Vehicle
    1986 Honda Accord LXi(Rebuilt)

Talking Re: ****please help**** Hello from Canada!!!!

Welcome from Talucah, Alabama! Hope you find everything you're looking for.
    Shaggy
    FF II/ETC I

"What's my age again? What's my age again?"