Thread: Heaven Is Real: A Doctor’s Experience With the Afterlife

Heaven Is Real: A Doctor’s Experience With the Afterlife

http://www.thedailybeast.com/newswee...afterlife.html

very interesting read.
    I grew up Catholic and I think most of the writings and teachings are crap, I don't believe in heaven and hell, and I don't believe in a king in the sky with royal perogatives manipulating our lives for some destiny or plan or to answer our prayers. I don't believe in angels, demons, possessions, virgin births. There a few good messages in the stories, such as the golden rule, but I don't buy into it as a history or fact.

I do believe that we are all interconnected and our actions and reactions affect everything as a whole, that there are no definite boundaries between things.

don't know where I am going with this, but I found it sincere and it got me thinking about a lot of things. Hope you enjoy it, I did.

The message had three parts, and if I had to translate them into earthly language, I’d say they ran something like this:

“You are loved and cherished, dearly, forever.”
    “You have nothing to fear.”
    “There is nothing you can do wrong.”
    Eric
    3geez member since October 12, 2000
    "All this worldly wisdom was once the unamiable heresy of some wise man." - Henry David Thoreau

Vehicle
    1989 Accord LX-i

Re: Heaven Is Real: A Doctor’s Experience With the Afterlife

Interesting essay. It sounds very New Agey, but he ended up returning to church, so it's hard to know what to make of that. As a Christian, I've heard quite a few similar stories. I've also heard my share of stories that take people to "that other place." Those aren't nearly so positive; quite horrific, in fact.

I'll confess that I believe in everything now: heaven, hell, miracles, aliens, ufo's. This world is infinitely more bizarre than any mortal will ever comprehend. Science is this vain (and very boooooring) effort to stamp all the mystery out of the universe. The real world keeps weirding me out.

Thanks for sharing.
    Dr_Snooz

"I like to take hammers, and just break stuff, just break stuff." - Beavis

1989 Honda Accord LX-i Coupe, 240k miles, MT swap, rear disc swap

Shop manual downloads available here: CLICK TO VIEW

Vehicle
    2005 ES2 Civic, 2018 Toyota 4Runner SR5 Premium 4x4

I'm never a fan of internet religious discussions.
    dead white and blue

Vehicle
    1989 Accord LX-i

Come on stat1k, it couldn't be worse than a political discussion. LOL
    Dr_Snooz

Vehicle
    1999 Penalty Box

I'll allow this discussion. No reason to keep mum on a subject. If it gets out of hand, we'll deal with it. If you don't think you can handle being offended by someone's view, then these threads will NOT be the place for you. I mean, there's nothing keeping you guys from starting these threads and having these discussions.

I'm not going to weigh in on the subject right now, as this doesn't really seem like a big deal, yet.

If you like discussions like this check out the Waking Life movie or Alan Watts' Out of Your Mind lectures
    Eric
    3geez member since October 12, 2000
    "All this worldly wisdom was once the unamiable heresy of some wise man." - Henry David Thoreau

Vehicle
    2005 ES2 Civic, 2018 Toyota 4Runner SR5 Premium 4x4

oh it's perfectly fine i just find that people love to troll on stuff like this. I'm past doing that at this point in my life. I forget how different 3geez is than other sites. While i appreciate the story and understand that our knowledge of our bodies and science is limited and an ever growing quest, i don't see how this means heaven is real lol...
    dead white and blue

Vehicle
    86 LX JDM B20A

The article was long formed like fiction. The recollection reminded me of dreams I have when taking opiated painkillers, very vivid and wtf like.
    All due respect to the writer, I think we see things everyday that are nothing short of miraculous and unexplainable, we just don't notice it. The dreams or sub concious recollections do call attention to them.
    I can think of a lot of times somebody said something either to me or said it in my presence,that I didn 't hear it till later that night or in the middle of sleep... Just an example.

Vehicle
    1989 Accord LX-i

Dr_Snooz

Vehicle
    87 LXi Hatch

Old topic. I happened across it looking for door handle solutions and it piqued my interest lol.

I've been there... with the help of DMT. I didn't care for the insertion of all the religious overtones in the article. Historically, great scientists have resorted to spiritualism when it comes to the limits of existing theory, until the envelope is pushed further. One day we may understand, or perhaps the mind is not powerful enough to understand what exists beyond its own sensory input.

Analogy: a computer is unable to understand where the electrons come from that flow through its circuits, or how it is built, or what will happen to it when it no longer functions. The mind has the same problem; we know stuff is going on inside, but we do not know why, or how it creates a consciousness.

When the mind is severely impaired, your awareness goes somewhere, and it’s beyond the conscious imagination. It is too complex to describe, and it’s one of those "you'd have to be there to know" kind of experiences.

Was just gonna leave a comment, but got all deep instead. oops.