Thread: 88 dx break swap to 89 lxi

Vehicle
    1988 honda accord dx 30,000 mile 1.8 replacement

88 dx break swap to 89 lxi

So I owned two 3gs at once. My dx with new motor and a 89 lxi. I tried to put my 13s on the lxi and the nicer 14s on my dx but ran into a problem on the lxi with the bigger breaks in front they will not take the 13s. So knowing that and I had given the lxi to my brother in law I want to know what is required to swap my dx to the larger lxi breaks. Can I just order rotors and pads? Do I need a new heat shield. Am I required to swap the calipers. I cant find this in the forums. And I know I know I got a carburetor and gave the 2.2efi away. I love my dx it has done more for me than any vehicle I have ever had.

Vehicle

Re: 88 dx break swap to 89 lxi

Any on out there swap lxi breaks to your dx. I don't want the stock smaller dx front breaks. The stock equipment is warn and most likely factory. So I will be replacing them. The car is not at all fast and up here in Mendocino country we have some roads that have some good grades and bigger front breaks cant hurt. So I am only looking for someone who has done this and can help with a parts list so I'm not out in the rain scratching my head. And to know what I got to spend

LX User
    Vehicle
    89 LX-i sedan

The info you are looking for is in the SEI rear brake upgrade threads. You need to get the steering knuckle form an 88 or 89 FI (LXI or SEI) accord and the caliper, caliper bracket, pads and rotor. I recommend getting new pads and rotors. If you don't trust the calipers from the jy you can get reman calipers. It is also a good time to change the fexable brake lines.

Vehicle
    1999 Penalty Box

And it's spelled brakes. Breaks imply that it's malfunctioning. Brakes stop your car.

Vehicle
    89 LX-i(5speed)

You will also need the larger master cylinder from the lxi. If you really want some bing brakes you should look into the legend master big rotor set up. I have it on my car and it has been great

1989 Honda Accord LX-i
    B18c1 swap since 7/2011
    175whp and 132tq
    Redzone tuned

Vehicle

Ok sounds good. And thanks for the grammar lesson. Auto correct is hell. Would the larger master make the stock better or is a full swap necessary

Vehicle

Quote Originally Posted by MessyHonda View Post
    You will also need the larger master cylinder from the lxi. If you really want some bing brakes you should look into the legend master big rotor set up. I have it on my car and it has been great
    Like this more. I recently took a trip to the zoo with my daughter threw San Francisco, Ca and all the hills and stop and go traffic was not easy. So a little more info on the legend swap did you do only front or rear also and whats the minimum rim size I'd need to be successful. I still have access to the lxi and can use the trusted lxi stock cause I took the rims (14") aluminum and left the lxi with steal in the rear and 2 out of 3 of my 16" borbets I gave him with the car because the 13" will not fit the front due to larger front rotors. So thats why I ask the minimum rim size on the legend swap because I cant have larger than 14" without work. The car is great how it is but I just want to stop. I dont have too much power with the stock carb 1.8 but still gotta stop.
    Last edited by seancmadison; 02-28-2014 at 11:45 PM.

Vehicle
    88 LXi

Quote Originally Posted by seancmadison View Post
    Like this more. I recently took a trip to the zoo with my daughter threw San Francisco, Ca and all the hills and stop and go traffic was not easy. So a little more info on the legend swap did you do only front or rear also and whats the minimum rim size I'd need to be successful. I still have access to the lxi and can use the trusted lxi stock cause I took the rims (14") aluminum and left the lxi with steal in the rear and 2 out of 3 of my 16" borbets I gave him with the car because the 13" will not fit the front due to larger front rotors. So thats why I ask the minimum rim size on the legend swap because I cant have larger than 14" without work. The car is great how it is but I just want to stop. I dont have too much power with the stock carb 1.8 but still gotta stop.

LXi rotors you need 14" rims.

The typer/legend rotors you need 15" rims.

For the quickest fix i would go with very good pads up front and readjust your rear brakes. I'm sure as I type this there out of adjustment unless you adjust them yourself 2 times a year.
    1988 Lxi owner since August 1995
    336k miles running strong!
    Now running E85.

Oldblueaccord <<< MY YOUTUBE PAGE!

Vehicle
    89 LX-i(5speed)

If you are by San Francisco you can swing by my place and I can show you or even help you do the swap. I live in San Mateo and I'm always willing to help a member. That's why I believe that's what this community is about. My mom had a dx and it was my first car and I would take it to San Francisco all the time and it never had problems.

1989 Honda Accord LX-i
    B18c1 swap since 7/2011
    175whp and 132tq
    Redzone tuned

Vehicle

Thanks for the offer. Im a able mechanic and as you can see from my grammar not a English teacher. I was looking for more of a parts list (complete hopefully) from someone like you who has done it. This is my daily driver and a necessity. As far as the adjustment for the rear I just recently did the rear drums/shoes and am confident in the adjustment. I stole the 14" rims off the lix I gave to my brother in law so thats do able but I like the 4wheel disc breaks once you have them you always crave that performance. The lxi currently sits on 2 of three borbets type c I would have on my car if one was not stolen (contact if interested) and two of my stock pizza cutter 13" in the rear (larger breaks in front on lxi). The reason for my first post was to see if I was required to change the proposition valves and such. Am I required to change any hard lines.