Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 1989 Sei

3Geez Veteran

Re: 1989 Sei

It would be 10/10 if it didn't have an aftermarket sunroof...

Vehicle
    1988 Accord LX-i Sedan; 1998 BMW 540i/6

Someone took the PO for a ride, I could do a better job repairing those items blindfolded. Glad you've gotten it back up to immaculate condition, though. It looks excellent and good luck on the sale.

Vehicle
    1989 SE-i

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	photo (3).JPG 
Views:	292 
Size:	724.9 KB 
ID:	6046

Not true. The sunroof is dealer installed option in 1989!
    Last edited by kairo; 03-21-2014 at 06:25 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by kairo View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	photo (3).JPG 
Views:	292 
Size:	724.9 KB 
ID:	6046

Not true. The sunroof is dealer installed option in 1989!
    True, it is a dealer installed option, but its not a honda stock part. They paid someone else to install an aftermarket sunroof. Kinda like buying a new car with a tape player in it and you opted for the dealer installed cd option. Well, you now have a nice pioneer cd player. Not really stock now is it. I am not here to bash or anything. You do have a nice ride and good luck with the sale. ..

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk 2
    un-motivated!
    someone make me an offer i just could not say no to.

3GR

LX User
    Vehicle
    1989 Accord LX - Carbeurated 2.0L Auto

Vehicle
    1989 SE-i

Kinda like the COPO Camaro. The original invoice includes the Sunroof. In 1989 not many auto makers factory installed sunroofs. Remember? The sunroof/ moon roof with FACTORY switch.

3Geez Veteran

Picture of the switch! I want to see one in a coupe. Also, just about every Mercedes-Benz had a factory sunroof in the 80's, and the LX-i and SE-i sedans came standard with them.

Quote Originally Posted by gyates93 View Post
    Wow, only about 14k miles...price sounds very true to the condition of the car

Vehicle
    1989 SE-i

03.21.2014 Sunroof Switch.pdfPicture of the sunroof switch next to the mirror adjustmentClick image for larger version. 

Name:	photo (5).JPG 
Views:	260 
Size:	1.19 MB 
ID:	6049
    Last edited by kairo; 03-23-2014 at 11:29 AM.

Vehicle
    1989 SE-i

03.21.2014 Sunroof Switch.pdf Sunroof switch next to the mirror adjustment switch

Vehicle
    1989 SE-i

All original, no accidents dents, no body work, original panels, engine, transmission, rear end all matching numbers.

3Geez Veteran

Pretty rare to see a coupe with the factory switch. Most all coupes and hatches delivered to the Pacific Northwest had the same crappy aftermarket sunroof from the same company, which of course is no longer in business so you cannot purchase seals or other parts.

Vehicle
    1989 SE-i

The installer of the sunroof remains in business in Sacramento. Same location. They replaced the actuator motor. The guy that installed the sunroof was working as well! The interior company, Award Interiors installed my interior in my 1956 Chevy while I was in high school! Same guy installed and hand sewed the new hides. Who knew that a 1989 Honda SE-i has an ALL leather interior!? My instruction was replace all hides he thought necessary...little did I know that instruction cost 5,050! Worth every penny though! Can you pick out where he placed stitched on the interior where no stitch was originally? Hint: It's double French stitch.

Best,
    Ronald

LX User
    Vehicle
    1989 Accord LX - Carbeurated 2.0L Auto

Can you pick out where he placed stitched on the interior where no stitch was originally? Hint: It's double French stitch.

Best,
    Ronald
    I'm going to guess right down the middle of the rear seat!

Over 5000 dollars!?! I could buy a fleet of 3Gs up here for that.. Beautiful interior though.

Vehicle
    1989 SE-i

I'm going to guess right down the middle of the rear seat!

Over 5000 dollars!?! I could buy a fleet of 3Gs up here for that.. Beautiful interior though.

Nope: Close look at the upper left door card shows a double stitch by the door handle running front to back. 5,050 for a complete hand sewn leather interior, carpets and headliner, back window speaker covers, I only know the best!

Vehicle
    1989 Accord LX-i

Quote Originally Posted by Charlie View Post
    It would be 10/10 if it didn't have an aftermarket sunroof...
    Remember that in 1989, many Accords and other Japanese cars with "factory installed" options like A/C were shipped into the US with all the components for those options sitting in the trunk. To get around punitive import duties, the dealers installed the options stateside. Thus, the import duties were assessed against a base model and a few hours of dealer labor turned it into a more desirable one. If the installation was done with OE parts, then it wouldn't really matter who installed the sunroof.

Prices for leather interiors vary considerably depending on the quality of the leather used and the extent to which it is used. For instance, most mid-level sedans (like the Accord) with "leather" interiors get a very thin layer of it. And that leather only gets used for a token leather insert in each door, on the tops of the seat bottoms and the fronts of the seat backs. So basically, there is leather where you are most likely to rub everyday, but nowhere else. My '93 Accord SE was done this way from the factory. It all looked like leather, but careful inspection revealed that most of it was vinyl with a few token leather flourishes.

By contrast, the leather used in a proper luxury car will be very thick and used extensively. My BMW seats were all leather and the leather was very thick. That adds exponentially to its cost. The price to re-do the Accord interior was $1,500. The cost to re-do one seat in my BMW was $900. Depending on how kairo had the interior done, $5,000 could be a bargain and have made the car much nicer than it would have come from the factory. While I'd prefer to see the color of kairo's leather match the OE color more closely, I would have no reservations about the materials and workmanship based on what he's telling us.

Who knew that a 1989 Honda SE-i has an ALL leather interior!?
    This is exactly how I will be having my interior done. Again, this sounds like a first rate job to me and has only increased the value of the car.
    Dr_Snooz

"I like to take hammers, and just break stuff, just break stuff." - Beavis

1989 Honda Accord LX-i Coupe, 240k miles, MT swap, rear disc swap

Shop manual downloads available here: CLICK TO VIEW

Vehicle
    1989 SE-i

Dr_Snooz:

The left side upper door card recovered with leather, as per original, due to the first owner closing the door with seatbelt buckle in the door jam damaging the edge of the upper door card. Instead of just a patch, the small section of the door card is sewn. Right side door card is original as are the two read side panels. Front seats, arm rest and rear seats are new leather. Again the upper side panel due to the rear window sun burn both upper panels are recovered. The color match to OEM original is successful as you mention, you believed the leather color match is not OEM.

Best,

Ronald

DX User
    Vehicle
    1989 Accord SEi

Hey Guys,
    I am now the very proud owner of this immaculate Honda SEi. I found it last year on ebay in California and could not afford it, plus the cost to ship it back here to Vermont. A few months back, I saw the same car back on ebay from the same seller. But this time it was in Vermont! What? This can't be. So I contacted the owner, 3Geez member kairo, and spoke at length with him about the car. Turns out he brought the car to Vermont and was storing here, as he owned a property here, about 70 miles from my home. I asked him what he wanted for the car, and to my surprise it was quite a bit less that I expected. But by the time we finished talking, he made it clear to me that the way I felt about his car, I should be the one to buy it. He then lowered his price further to the point where I could not say no. Money was not the issue for kairo. He clearly loved this car and was really wanting the new owner to love it as much. So I went to see the car and 30 seconds after laying my eyes upon it, we shook hands and had a deal. I simply could not believe how nice this car was or what an honest guy he was. Everything he told me about the car was true. And so I left him a cash deposit which he was not even going to take as he trusted me, but I insisted. I came back the next day with my wife and drove it home. This car is so impressive. I promised him I would stay in touch and send him occasional emails just to let him know she is well cared for. My plan is to keep this car for a very long time and enjoy it. I've taken her to a couple of local Cars and Coffee shows and the response she gets is surprising to say the least. These cars just don't exist here anymore, and to see one that is so strikingly beautiful, really blows locals away. I simply could not be happier. A big thank you to kairo for making me an offer I could not refuse!

Vehicle
    1989 Accord LX-i

That car was meant for you. It's your density. ...I mean destiny.
    Dr_Snooz

"I like to take hammers, and just break stuff, just break stuff." - Beavis

1989 Honda Accord LX-i Coupe, 240k miles, MT swap, rear disc swap

Shop manual downloads available here: CLICK TO VIEW

Vehicle
    1989 Lx-i Hatchback

do i also spy a 1970's MG there?

1989 Accord Lx-i hatchback (current DD project)
    1986 Olds Cutlass 442 clone (never ending project)
    3Geez resident body man
    Owner of Wreck-less auto body

DX User
    Vehicle
    All vintage Hondas!

Any chance you might still own this beautiful SE-i?
    I have been looking for one like this for some time, would be very interested in purchasing the car if/when you might be interested in selling.

Thanks!

Vehicle
    88 LXi

Bump to the top! What the heck.
    1988 Lxi owner since August 1995
    336k miles running strong!
    Now running E85.

Oldblueaccord <<< MY YOUTUBE PAGE!