Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ciolant temp sensors

DX User
    Vehicle
    86 Accord LXi

Coolant temp sensors

I have an 86 LXi with mtm. My pgm light is on, code six. Yes, have downloaded the manual, but have difficulty reading it on my phone or net pad.

I know this code is for the temp sensor. I have repaired the wiring to the two sensors in the thermostat housing. My question is, which sensor does what? Are they identical sensors, or is it possible to have the connectors on the wrong sensor? Both connectors appear the same except for color and wiring color. (Two blade)

Thanks in advance!
    Last edited by PNWsail; 03-10-2014 at 01:53 PM.

DX User
    Vehicle
    86 Accord LXi

Re: Coolant temp sensors

Update: I did swap the two connectors, just out of curiosity (sp?). Now my PGM-FI light has gone off, but sometimes returns after I have been driving awhile. Temp gauge reads the same. I will try to find more info. I made the swap because when I was looking at other cars, they had the dark colored connector to the passenger side, and the white connector to the driver's side. However, mine was the reverse of that. I still haven't found confirmation of what is "right", so any input would be appreciated!

LX User
    Vehicle
    1988 Honda Accord LX-i 2 Door Coupe 5 Speed

Quote Originally Posted by PNWsail View Post
    Update: I did swap the two connectors, just out of curiosity (sp?). Now my PGM-FI light has gone off, but sometimes returns after I have been driving awhile. Temp gauge reads the same. I will try to find more info. I made the swap because when I was looking at other cars, they had the dark colored connector to the passenger side, and the white connector to the driver's side. However, mine was the reverse of that. I still haven't found confirmation of what is "right", so any input would be appreciated!
    How many blinks on the ECU LED? That will tell you what is going on or at least narrow it down.

DX User
    Vehicle
    86 Accord LXi

Quote Originally Posted by zenapup View Post
    How many blinks on the ECU LED? That will tell you what is going on or at least narrow it down.
    Umm, six. As I mentioned in first post, I have a code six, which indicates coolant temp sensor. That is what got me to looking at the sensor and asking the question.

LX User
    Vehicle

Re: Ciolant temp sensors

Did you clear the ECU after swapping the connections? If not, the code will still be stored. And I guess my computer scrolled on me again as I did not apparently see your original post indicating that you had code six. Sorry!

LX User
    Vehicle

Also, on my 88 lxi which is set up correctly, the white connector is the one closer to the cylinder head while the green one is further away, so your sensors were indeed hooked up backwards.

DX User
    Vehicle
    86 Accord LXi

Yes, disconnected the battery, no codes. Drive for awhile and it comes back on. Incidentally, I did view the service manual on a computer today, and still could find no reference to the second sensor. NOT the third sensor which is single wire and goes to the temp gauge. I need to find a full wiring diagram, that would help I bet.

LX User
    Vehicle

The other sensor controls the condenser fan when coolant temp is above 108 degress C (226F). The TW sensor (part of PGM-FI system) is the one closest to the cylinder head (white connector). The one controlling the condenser fan and such is the green connector. Pages 105 and 910-914 in the online version of the manual

DX User
    Vehicle
    86 Accord LXi

Thank you sir!!! Hmm, my version of the manual has 835 pages plus a supplement. I will download the version on here, having the actual page numberhelps too! This has bbeen baffling me.

LX User
    Vehicle

Well, let me know if you need more help, I have practically memorized the whole manual.

LX User
    Vehicle

It is the 1989 usdm manual I am referring to by the way, just in case there are multiple ones listed

DX User
    Vehicle
    86 Accord LXi

Now that you mention it, that is why I hadn't downloaded it yet, since I have an 86. Still, you can't have too much info. Thanks for your help. I need to test the sensor, it could be lazy or marginal, but at least I'm on the right track.

Vehicle
    1988 ca3 si exclusive

one is the fan switch, one is the ecu sensor and the third is the gauge.
    the only one to bring a cel is the ecu sensor.

DX User
    Vehicle
    86 Accord LXi

So there are two fan switches then? One in the thermostat housing, and one in the radiator?

Zenapup, my manual is the 86 from pauldesign site.

Vehicle
    1989 Accord LX-i

Actually, the second sensor controls the fan after the engine is turned off. If the coolant temp rises above 226F with the car off, it will run the cooling fans for a maximum of 15 minutes. There is a second switch in the radiator that runs the fans when the engine is on.

Paul is in Russia and his manual is for his Russian Accord. Your '86 will differ from the '89 USDM somewhat, but at least the USDM manual will cover things like smog controls. The Russian manual is notably lacking in that area.
    Dr_Snooz

"I like to take hammers, and just break stuff, just break stuff." - Beavis

1989 Honda Accord LX-i Coupe, 240k miles, MT swap, rear disc swap

Shop manual downloads available here: CLICK TO VIEW

DX User
    Vehicle
    86 Accord LXi

Ah, the second sensor makes sense now. I will search again for the 89 manual. So far all I have discovered links to Paul's site. I intend to obtain paper version soon. I was under the impression it was a domestic manual. Sooooo much to learn. I'm a long time car guy, but more accustomed to v8s or diesel.

Vehicle
    1989 Accord LX-i
    Dr_Snooz

DX User
    Vehicle
    86 Accord LXi

Thank you ! Got them both just in case. Miss my laptop, so much easier to view PDF files than w phone or net pad. Still, nice to view anytime w phone.

Vehicle
    SE-i Sedan 5 spd

Quote Originally Posted by PNWsail View Post
    Thank you sir!!! Hmm, my version of the manual has 835 pages plus a supplement. I will download the version on here, having the actual page numberhelps too! This has bbeen baffling me.
    I don't come on this site much so can't give you a link to the page, but a few years ago I arranged to have scanned and saved here a complete book of the 89's electrical diagrams and electrical troubleshooting procedures. Much more comprehensive than the shop manual.

Vehicle
    86 hatchback, 1990 Lincoln Towncar

the electrical manual is on the wiki thats the one you need to look at for the diagrams for the temp sensors

Vehicle
    1989 Accord LX-i

Quote Originally Posted by w261w261 View Post
    I don't come on this site much so can't give you a link to the page, but a few years ago I arranged to have scanned and saved here a complete book of the 89's electrical diagrams and electrical troubleshooting procedures.
    Second to last on the first link I posted above.
    Dr_Snooz

Vehicle
    SE-i Sedan 5 spd

While I was looking into my non-functioning temp gauge, I noticed that one of the wires into the connector (by the thermostat) that controls the fans is broken. I think it might have been busted for awhile. While I get a new connector, I assume it's ok to drive the car? At worst, it will take a while longer to cool off after stopping with no fans. If someone could confirm this I'd appreciate it. Thx.

Vehicle
    SE-i Sedan 5 spd

My connector to the gauge sensor is good, now that I've soldered it together,but the gauge itself is still out. Do the odds favor the sensor or the gauge itself being bad?

Vehicle
    87 LXi Hatch

Quote Originally Posted by w261w261 View Post
    My connector to the gauge sensor is good, now that I've soldered it together,but the gauge itself is still out. Do the odds favor the sensor or the gauge itself being bad?
    The troubleshooting section for the sensor in the shop manual will provide instructions on how to test the wiring for the sensor as well as the sensor itself.

Edit: Sorry, thought you were the OP. Perhaps you should start a new thread for your issue.
    Last edited by niles; 12-15-2014 at 12:43 PM. Reason: Oops

Vehicle
    1989 Accord LX-i

Hal, the circuit is a simple one. The power runs through the gauge, down the wire to the temp sender in the thermostat neck and grounds out there. It should be relatively easy to test with a multimeter. Just see if you have power to the sender with the key on. If you don't, then the gauge is bad. If you do, the sender is bad.
    Dr_Snooz