Thread: Ways to adjust clutch???

DX User
    Vehicle
    2003 Nissan Sentra SE-R Spec V

Ways to adjust clutch???

In my friend's accord, his clutch engages right at the top, like the last 5mm before it is fully released. The previous owner said it has a new clutch but this one slips all the time.

Im thinking that since it engages so far up, its not actually grabbing all the way. Does this make sense?

Is there any way to adjust the clutch(or clutch pedal)?
    Chris Jones
    Hotshot CAI, Hotshot Header, Thermal R&D Exhaust, AC Autotechnic Reverse Indiglo Gauges, SW Autoworks Pulley, ES MM
    14.9 @ 93mph

Vehicle
    a pile of lawn ornaments
    is it a 3G accord? If not, is it a cable, or hydro clutch?
    -Mark D.

Vehicle
    if it is a 3gee (cable) then the knob to adjust the free play is behind the battery. you can measure it from under the car on the end of the arm the cable attaches to.
    -Grant. I'm just a pirate chasing booty.

LX User
    Vehicle
    1987 accord lx
    When you put your foot on the clutch lightly, you should feel very little resistance for about an inch, and then you should feel resistance from the cable. You can also test for free play by wiggling the cable at the arm for the throwout bearing on the transaxle.

The adjustment is at the end of the cable where it attaches to the transaxle. There is a little wheel to turn with your fingers. It takes like 30 seconds to do.

Always make sure you can feel an inch of slack when you begin to press the pedal.

*** You can also mess with the pedal stop adjustment above the pedal, but you probably don't need to unless someone really messed with it or you are adjusting it to the extreme to try to compensate for an almost-worn clutch or something like that.

Vehicle
    87 Accord EX , 5spd , Manual
    theis should be about 0.6 cm play in the release arm where it is connected to the cable ! right beside the battery !

MIKE
    3geez member since October 4th 2001

Vehicle
    87 Fox & ninja
    I have the same problem with my clutch. It engages at the top and when you push the petal about 2 inch its totally disengaged, sometimes it slips and some times it catches and other times it causes the gears to grind. I dont know?? I think I am in need of help too.
    Wheelies!!!!!

SEi User
    Vehicle
    88 lxi coupe
    Midnight, just adjust the clutch like the guys said. But sounds to me your clutch is dying.

DX User
    Vehicle
    There is absolutely no freeplay in the car. I drove it today and the clutch doesnt even engage until it is all the way out. The petal resistance is harsh all the way down. Any time you get on the gas it slips! What to do?
    Chris Jones
    Hotshot CAI, Hotshot Header, Thermal R&D Exhaust, AC Autotechnic Reverse Indiglo Gauges, SW Autoworks Pulley, ES MM
    14.9 @ 93mph

Vehicle
    1987 Hatchback phreak project
    adjust then get a new clutch

Travis
    www.cardomain.com/id/dxhatchback

LX User
    Vehicle
    88 LX-i HB
    how do i measure the freeplay?...what is freeplay?

Vehicle
    Previous: '89 Accord LXi hatch, '89 Accord LXi hatch, '86 Prelude Si
    Free play is how far you have move the lever on the transmission that the clutch cable connects to before the clutch cable is pulled tight.

The amount isn't too important. What really matters is that the clutch cable isn't under tension all the time (some free play). With the cable under constant tension the pressure plate will not reach full pressure on the clutch disk.
    Last edited by AZmike; 05-20-2003 at 01:06 AM.
    Mike

Vehicle
    1988 Accord LXi
    Alright, I'm having the same problem, but I can't tell how much free play I have. On my moms Saab, the clutch is extremely loose, and you can tell there is about 1 inch of free play becuase the pedal sits very loosly in that inch and you need no presure to move it. But on my car, there is presure to push the whole way, with no difference from start to end. But there is just alittle in the first inch or so. But not much. You can feel that once you get past a cerain point you need a little more.

I just can't tell if that's free play or not. Is there a definate difference in the amount of pressure needed to push the clutch in, and how loose the pedal is, or is it just a small difference? Sorry, I don't know how to make that clear, but if you got any of it, please help.
    Aaron
    My spelling was never a streingth...

Vehicle
    you don't measure it at the pedal you measure it at the end of the clutch cable behind and under the battery.
    -Grant. I'm just a pirate chasing booty.

DX User
    Vehicle
    89 Lxi Coupe(white) 89 Lxi Coupe (champagne) 1994 Acura Legend LS

Angry Need Clutch Help

Unfortunatly I was the victim of Theft this past weekend and the PO PO found my 3 gee fuckked up!!, bashed in passenger side(right under the damn push out window so I can't even go get a quarter panel cuz it's all one piece!!) Anyhow my clutch when pressed just drops to the floor(no resistance), Car starts in any gear(Still have to press it down to start) but car continues to run with clutch released(even in gear!!) It's not stuck in any gear but neutral...won't engage drive gears....