Could you be more specific?
    Dr_Snooz

"I like to take hammers, and just break stuff, just break stuff." - Beavis

1989 Honda Accord LX-i Coupe, 240k miles, MT swap, rear disc swap

Shop manual downloads available here: CLICK TO VIEW

Vehicle
    86 hatchback, 1990 Lincoln Towncar

Re: ignition

why do you want to upgrade? what are your future modifications? the stock system with good wires is pretty good, run NGK V powers which are factory specs. I'm running an MSD 6T with the soft touch rev limiter, I'm running it because I want a rev limiter, and I'm going to be running pretty high compression, along with other mods, so an upgraded ignition is important in that case. For a mostly stock setup, the stock ignition is good. Good wires will help, you dont need those super expensive Nolog..I mean bullshit wires, good NGK wires, or any good spiral wound wire will help, I'm running morosso mag cores, which are good quality without being overly expensive

Vehicle
    1988 ca3 si exclusive

good quality plugs, leads, anew cap and rotor and a good coil will be fine.
    as long as the coil is one that is safe for electronic ignition you will be fine.
    the reason i say safe for electronic ignition, is that not all coils re created equal.
    the primary resistance varies quite a bit between points and electronic systems.
    to low in the resistance and the ignition module will overheat from high current draw and pack up, where a points system will take it

Vehicle
    1999 Penalty Box

Yeah, you really don't need to upgrade the ignition in these cars above a good tune up with quality parts. The next step would be to either go with an OBD1 setup or a Megasquirt or FreeEMS setup, in order of amount of work required. Do a search to get a feel for what's needed.

Vehicle

if you do do any kind of upgrade, one of the new MSD digital ignitions are always nice, I'm running a GM blaster coil, thats the coil I've seen many others who have done serious upgrades, run. It has a well known good track record on Hondas. running a box also unloads the ignition module, it carries a lot of current normally, as it fires the coil directly, but if you run a box, it only acts as a trigger, and carries only milliamps

Vehicle
    87 honda accord

Quote Originally Posted by lostforawhile View Post
    why do you want to upgrade? what are your future modifications? the stock system with good wires is pretty good, run NGK V powers which are factory specs. I'm running an MSD 6T with the soft touch rev limiter, I'm running it because I want a rev limiter, and I'm going to be running pretty high compression, along with other mods, so an upgraded ignition is important in that case. For a mostly stock setup, the stock ignition is good. Good wires will help, you dont need those super expensive Nolog..I mean bullshit wires, good NGK wires, or any good spiral wound wire will help, I'm running morosso mag cores, which are good quality without being overly expensive
    Im am havein a block punched n rebuilt and a stage 2 cam with duble valve springs and a intake port n polish. my head is already ported I have a 32/36 webber with a set of obx long tube headders with a 2in exhaust to A obx muffler

and thanks for the help everyone. and with the upgraded coil do I need a control module
    Last edited by dray423; 04-12-2014 at 07:28 AM.

Vehicle

Quote Originally Posted by dray423 View Post
    Im am havein a block punched n rebuilt and a stage 2 cam with duble valve springs and a intake port n polish. my head is already ported I have a 32/36 webber with a set of obx long tube headders with a 2in exhaust to A obx muffler

and thanks for the help everyone. and with the upgraded coil do I need a control module
    I've seen the GM blaster coil run on a lot of built Hondas without needing to change the ignition module, one of the new digital MSD boxes would just give you options such as a rev limiter. Summit racing also sells their own brand, which is more then likely made by MSD, and has the same options. If you get the MSD GM blaster style coil you will need to get a plug off one of the original cars that came with that style coil, they should be common at the yards

Vehicle

this is the one I'm talking about, should be good for your needs, MSD Ignition 8226 Blaster Ignition Coil | eBay you don't want to run the old style round coils, they tend to suffer from hysteresis loss towards 6000 rpm or so, they were fine for old american cars with lower revving V8s, but not so good for high revving engines, the stock coil on these cars is a U core like the MSD. what happens with the hysteresis loss, is your spark is created when power is interrupted to the coil, and the magnetic field collapses. with a round coil, the coil tends to retain some of it's magnetism, and as the rpm's go up, the coil becomes saturated and your spark voltage drops off dramatically, U shaped coils don't suffer nearly as bad from this
    Last edited by lostforawhile; 04-12-2014 at 09:10 AM.