Vehicle
    1989 honda accord sei

accord sei amp

is there a direct fit replacement amplifier for my 1989 Accord SE-i

LX User
    Vehicle
    89 Dx, 89 LXi

Re: accord sei amp

For the Bose (Buy Other Sound Equipment) system? Sadly no. Generally the Bose stuff is designed on a per vehicle basis, so the system that is in an Accord will be different from that of a Bose system in an Acura TL.

Best bet is find another amp from the wrecker. Or get crafty and turf out the OEM amp and wire in an aftermarket multi channel amp in its place and hope that the 25 year old speakers hold up. Or option #3, replace speakers, replace head unit, do a wired bypass of the amp and call it good. Option #3 is probably the most cost effective and easiest, drop in new 6" all the way around, deck, and a little wiring and done.

Vehicle
    1999 Penalty Box

About the only thing you can do is replace it with a working one or have it repaired. I've wanted to get my hands on one of these to see if I can find the faults in them, but I haven't found one, and no one seems willing to donate one to science.

Vehicle
    1988 Honda Accord DX, 250,000 Miles, Daily Driver

Quote Originally Posted by Vanilla Sky View Post
    About the only thing you can do is replace it with a working one or have it repaired. I've wanted to get my hands on one of these to see if I can find the faults in them, but I haven't found one, and no one seems willing to donate one to science.
    I have one i found in the junk yard. Not sure if it works or not but am willing to donate.

1988 Honda Accord LSDX-I

Vehicle
    86 hatchback, 1990 Lincoln Towncar

you have the option of keeping your steering wheel controls working with an aftermarket stereo, you use an SWi-X unit, it reads the resistance of the buttons in the wheel, and you program it using the remote control from the aftermarket stereo, you can assign the buttons to control whatever function you want. it copies the infrared signals from the remote and mimics then when you push the steering wheel buttons

Vehicle
    1989 Lx-i Hatchback

he wasn't asking about replacing the head unit. As mentioned by dieselgus , you have a few options here. I would suggest just splicing in an aftermarket amplifier and adding new speaker to replace the 20+ y/o ones/ IIRC its a white/green and a yellow /red wire to the amplifier and the speaker wires, shouldn't be hard to splice

1989 Accord Lx-i hatchback (current DD project)
    1986 Olds Cutlass 442 clone (never ending project)
    3Geez resident body man
    Owner of Wreck-less auto body

Vehicle
    1999 Penalty Box

I believe the Bose amp is a wee bit different. Once I have one in my hands, I can confirm my suspicions.

Vehicle
    89/accord/lxi

I have two for sale. Pm me.

Vehicle
    1999 Penalty Box

Sure is interesting to see the big differences in the amps. The one on the right has a TON of shielding cans, while the one on the left only has that one. Completely different internal construction. This is why I need both of the Bose amps for testing and prototyping.

Vehicle
    89/accord/lxi

Yeah I was thinking the same thing

Vehicle
    1999 Penalty Box

Well, I'll have one on the way soon. That just means I need to find someone that can donate the other to science.

Vehicle
    1989 Honda Accord SE-i Coupe

Quote Originally Posted by Vanilla Sky View Post
    Well, I'll have one on the way soon. That just means I need to find someone that can donate the other to science.
    i have no idea which one i have, but i'd be willing to donate to science, if you are willing to pay shipping

You still working on coupe tails?
    '89 SE-i Coupe
    Awaiting Garage
    Quote Originally Posted by AccordEpicenter View Post
    its better to be retarded than advanced

Vehicle
    1981 Accord Hatchback, 1984 Accord Sedan

The outputs on the SEi Bose deck are just regular line outs. I've hooked the outputs into the line in on my laptop before. There's no reason you couldn't cut the wires to the original amp and hook them to an aftermarket amp.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oRQ8vuWKlbI

Vehicle
    1999 Penalty Box

Except that I believe the Bose amp to only be 3 channels, with the rear speakers being one channel with time delay with a fairly low crossover point, used only for rear fill.

That would explain why the front speakers are extended range drivers in ported enclosures and the rears are just plain paper 6x9s in the rear deck.

Vehicle
    1989 Accord LX-i

That sounds like classic Bose. Do some gimmicky thing with a bunch of crap. Then charge a fortune for it.
    Dr_Snooz

"I like to take hammers, and just break stuff, just break stuff." - Beavis

1989 Honda Accord LX-i Coupe, 240k miles, MT swap, rear disc swap

Shop manual downloads available here: CLICK TO VIEW

Vehicle
    1999 Penalty Box

That's not really a gimmick. It's a way to simulate a "voiceless" channel for rear fill. Changing the inputs around could also leave one with a center channel, then both stereo channels combined and crossed over for your subwoofer. That's how the classic Dolby Pro Logic worked, which was an extension of quadraphonic stereo.

My stereo build is going to be set up in a similar fashion, so I'm *really* interested in the Bose stuff. Mine will use a digital sound processor to handle the heavy lifting, though.

Vehicle
    1999 Penalty Box

Additionally, I think most of you guys would enjoy the sound of the Bose setup if it is indeed set up that way. The front drivers might be similar to what they used in their big home speakers, which extended fairly high. They did need a lot of EQ for bass, even the big ones. With a car, they can simply offload the bass duty to the pair of sensitive paper 6x9 speakers and provide proper rear fill.

If you've ever seen one of the Bose Acoustomass systems, you'd be somewhat familiar with this arrangement, since they use 2 pairs of cubes with 3" drivers for each channel, but let the bandpass subwoofer handle everything from about 150Mhz down, which makes locating the Acoustomass sub in a Bose system at home critical.