Thread: Exhaust question

Vehicle
    88 Accord LX-i 5 spd.

Exhaust question

I was just wondering if you have too much oil can that damage or ruin your catalytic converter? I don't know what the hell happened but within the last couple of days my exhaust has gotten really loud around the catalytic converter, pisses me off. I noticed that I have maybe a half a quart or so more oil than I should and that is the only reason I can think of that it got screwed up. Suggestions please
    -Aaron-
    "I play russian roulette everyday, a man's sport, with a bullet called life"

LX User
    Vehicle
    1987 Accord Lx - automatic-carb
    Too much oil can definitely damage a catalytic converter, but not if you've simply overfilled the sump as you have.

Cats are damaged when the valve stem seals, valve stem guides or piston rings are so badly damaged that the engine is ingesting oil and passing it through the cat.

Too much oil in an engine can create excessively high oil pressure and that in turn can cause leakage at various seals. Most 3G engines hold 3.7 qts. Next time you change oil/filter, refill with this amount. I personally do not believe that you've overfilled the systen enough to cause any problems. You could simply pull the oil pan drain plug and allow a guesstimated amount to drain; then resinstall the drain plug.
    Lester

LX User
    Vehicle
    88 LX-i
    you didnt ruin the cat by haveing to much oil. to get an increace in oil pressure you will have all a hole hell of a lot of extra oil (the accord take 4qt+1/4 if you change your filter). check your flex pipe, you most likely wont see a split but with the car running you can feel it. if your doesnt come out out of open loop ever, you could of clogged your cat. check for splits, easiest way is to do it while the car is running. let us know how it goes. gluck
    I値l kill you with experience

Vehicle
    1986 Honda Accord DX Hatchback
    Maybe you have an exhaust leak? Just a thought
    86 accord dx wrecked

Vehicle
    88 Accord LX-i 5 spd.
    yeah that's gotta be it.....it is coming from around the cat but I think it is actually the "flex pipe" LMAO. Still sucks cuz I don't have the money to repair it right now so I have to ride around in a fartmobile
    -Aaron-

LX User
    Vehicle
    88 LX-i
    when my flex pipe broke, i repleaced my entire exhaust. pacesetter header, 2.25 pipes, mandral bends, no cat, and a flowmaster muffler. i wish i would of used a straight threw muffler or 2.5 exhaust. there is more power to be had. i did replace my flex pipe with a solid pipe and have had no problems everything cost around $300-400 dollars. gluck

the 3gee doesn't take 4 quarts even if you take out the filter. Do you have a deep sump pan or something?
    I notice my car gets heavy power loss if the exhaust leaks, it's so friggin annoying
    Eric
    3geez member since October 12, 2000
    "All this worldly wisdom was once the unamiable heresy of some wise man." - Henry David Thoreau

LX User
    Vehicle
    88 LX-i
    yep, 4.25 quarts with changing the filter. owner manaul even states the use of 4.2US qt. are you measuring the oil level by the upper or lower mark ->the upper mark is the proper mark<-? check pages 76 to 78 and 115 of the owner manual, page 77 states that 3.7qt is the proper amount WITHOUT CHANGING THE FILTER. check page 115 right colum 2/3 down you will see the TOTAL amount of engine oil needed is 4.2US qt.
    Last edited by rallyeNate; 05-18-2002 at 08:32 PM.

DX User
    sorry but at the 114 pages its written
    "Excluding the oil remaining in the engine, but including that
    remaining in the oil filter 3.7usqt"

When including the oil in the engine you have 4usqt
    however when i change my oil i put always 4qt

Vehicle
    88 Accord LX-i 5 spd.
    Originally posted by rallyeNate
    when my flex pipe broke, i repleaced my entire exhaust. pacesetter header, 2.25 pipes, mandral bends, no cat, and a flowmaster muffler. i wish i would of used a straight threw muffler or 2.5 exhaust. there is more power to be had. i did replace my flex pipe with a solid pipe and have had no problems everything cost around $300-400 dollars. gluck
    That's exactly what I am gonna do bro....I figure why replace the flex pipe when I planned on getting performance exhaust down the road anyway. I went ot this place for an estimate and they quoted me 300$ for custom 2.25 mandrel and a magnaflow straight through race series muffler.
    -Aaron-

LX User
    Vehicle
    88 LX-i
    do you have access to a welder? if so you can do your own exhaust realy cheap, you can do it yourself like me! $300 installed with header (cat-yes or no?) thats not bad, ditch the cat if you can, it will make all the differance in the world. it will be cheaper to do all of your exhaust at one time but, $3oo is expensive. sounds like a good exhaust setup, 2.25in dia exhaust pipe very nice, remember if you go to big you will lose power.

Vehicle
    88 Accord LX-i 5 spd.
    that would be 300$ for custom piping, that it also without the header. I have access to a welder but that is something that I want to leave to a professional. There are some things I will do myself but with the exhaust I am not even gonna try. I thought about removing the cat but I doubt I would be able to pass emissions.
    -Aaron-

LX User
    Vehicle
    88 LX-i
    welding is no big deal, kind of fun. if you do some of the welding yourself i would leave the section that goes over the rear control arm to someone else, its a real pain in the ass. dont you have some loop hole that you can get by with, like here all i have to do is pay $200 to a shop and i m good for 2yrs. if you deside to hold of on anything, hold off on the header. its realy easy, it only takes about 2hrs. gluck!