Thread: Seat heater wire question

Vehicle
    SE-i Sedan 5 spd

Seat heater wire question

Hi guys. I still have the SE-i, but also got a '98 Outback. The Outback forum is pretty good, and there aren't too many seat heaters in 3G's, but question is a general one, and you guys are great at this kind of stuff. Here' s my post :

-------------
    My driver's seat heaters are not working, verified at the connector. I note from the wiring diagram that they are connected in series (bottom and backrest), so after I remove the seat I can tell which (or both) elements have failed. My money is on the bottom element, because as the car has aged and the seat bottom sagged, it has put pressure on the element, breaking it.

But it also could be thermal fatigue, as in a toaster. I can get a working one from a wreck, as they are $130 from the dealer. But it's a pita to get into the leather cushion(s) to make the change, so that would argue for a new heating element (or two). Two elements otoh, are almost $300 worth of parts.

Anyone have experience with the usual failure mode of these elements? I might be willing to take a shot with one from a wreck + shoring up the seat cushion if I thought the chances were it was a straight mechanical break. A reasonable possibility of thermal fatigue would dictate a new replacement element.

Thanks

Hal

LX User
    Vehicle
    89 Dx, 89 LXi

Re: Seat heater wire question

Generally it is best to not futz about with used heater elements. Nothing more agitating than spending a couple hours dissecting a seat only to have the fucking thing fail 6 months down the road. The OEM option is generally the best route, usually quite easy to get into the upholstery to replace them, just get yourself a set of hog ring pliers and some new rings for reassembly. The reason I say OEM is for loading and connector purposes. There are a lot of decent aftermarket kits out there (I have had really good success with the Rostra kits) as well that are priced quite attractively.

Vehicle
    SE-i Sedan 5 spd

Thanks for the info.

Vehicle
    1989 Accord LX-i

An ohmmeter should tell you what's what. High resistance would indicate thermal fatigue. Infinite resistance would indicate a break.
    Dr_Snooz

"I like to take hammers, and just break stuff, just break stuff." - Beavis

1989 Honda Accord LX-i Coupe, 240k miles, MT swap, rear disc swap

Shop manual downloads available here: CLICK TO VIEW

Vehicle
    88 LXi

Interested cuz wifes wants heated seats in her '14. Let us know how it works out.
    1988 Lxi owner since August 1995
    336k miles running strong!
    Now running E85.

Oldblueaccord <<< MY YOUTUBE PAGE!

Vehicle
    SE-i Sedan 5 spd

I got another seat from the JY. After figuring out how they are wired, and isolating the seatbacks (both seatbacks are not functioning), I discovered that my original seat bottom still has the high working, and the JY seat has high and low. I'm going to go to an upholstery place and see what it would cost to install a new heating pad in the seat back.

Vehicle
    SE-i Sedan 5 spd

A skilled, reputable auto upholstery place in Fairfield CT said they would do both the backrest and seat bottom for $225, I bring the pads. OEM Subaru are $85 each, so total job is $400. Aftermarket heating pads are cheaper.