Thread: My LED light conversion.

Vehicle
    1986 Honda Accord LXi(Rebuilt)

Cool My LED light conversion.

I've been fascinated with LEDs forever now. I've slowly but surely been converting standard incandescent bulbs to LED over the past year. I'm fairly peculiar on some as to wattage/viewing angle etc, and others i just need to light. Thought i'd compile a Thread of everything i've done so far lighting-wise, of course including pictures. I used to have 13.7V when all lighting was turned on. Now i maintain 14.2V with every possible light going. Saving power for use elsewhere.

These are my Door lights. They are 3528 (24 total, 6x4 row) cool white panels.

I also adapted some Cool white 4x3 5050 SMD panels (4 total, 2 per reverse light) for some ultra bright reverse lighting. I hated those dingy stock filament bulbs that were fairly useless.

I used T5 Blue LEDs for the Push button back lighting on the dash as well as the dash gauges themselves, which use T10 Pink LEDs(Which turned out Bright Blue.

Last edited by firefighterwhite89; 04-24-2014 at 01:13 AM.
    Shaggy
    FF II/ETC I

"What's my age again? What's my age again?"

Vehicle

Re: My LED light conversion.

For some reason the Rear Defroster light doesn't want to work with my LEDs, but works perfectly with a standard filament bulb. :/

I had to go with CREE 5W LED front turn signals with a clear lense for the front bumper. I really like this look plus the light it throws out is pretty ridiculous.

These are what i used for the rear turn signal LEDs. I have to find my other pics of the completed front turns.
    Shaggy
    FF II/ETC I

Vehicle

My sidemarker/Parking lights I've changed up abit. Both the lenses disappeared one hot day on my way to or from work. Not sure, but i came out the next day and they were gone, so i went to the labratory with some plexiglas and an oven and came up with this:

Which later after a warning about the brightness(Apparently I blinded a cop with the side white strips driving beside him) led to this:

Which later down the road looked somewhat tacky being all white housing. So, I painted the inner housing black(To blend better with the bumper/trim. I now rock that look. Looks pretty slick:

Which, as you can see, CLEAR silicon isn't so CLEAR but more of a OPAQUE. I got to redo the seals in black sometime sooner or later.
    Eventually replaced the amber P156 bulb with an Amber T10 5050 SMD tower:
    Shaggy
    FF II/ETC I

Vehicle

Blue digi voltage gauge(Installed where the cigarette lighter originally went(When i bought the car, the lighter was torn out and those holes were already there. No idea why, all i know is the car used to belong to a NASA engineer))

Also have a SUPER BRIGHT blue keylight. It's a T10 bulb with a T5 adapter. Works wonderfully:

Pink T10 Floor lighting. Perfect for when you drop your cigarette or phone at 75MPH in the darkness. BTW, I'm aware there is no glve box. When i bought the car, half of the Dash itself was cracked and/or breaking. The glovebox completely shattered off the hinges shortly after purchasing this car.

Shaggy
    FF II/ETC I

Vehicle

My Taillights, I used RED 1156 lights. They weren't SMDs but more like 12 5mm RED LEDs combined aiming outwards. I used sand paper on the epoxy clear part to help throw the light out in a more 180* way than just 90*.

And of course, can't forget the accessory lightbar:

Overall, I need to take some more pictures, and better pics at that. I have several other lights I've changed over to LED but i need to snap pics of them.
    Shaggy
    FF II/ETC I

Vehicle
    79 Accord hatch, 89 CR-X SiR, '74 Z360 h/top, '81 prelude, '65 S600

Some interesting experiments there.
    I Just ordered some amber orange LED strips, high intensity LED's & electronic flasher relay with the intention of upgrading my 1g integra corner lights with indicators that will hopefully allow me to delete those in the bumper. Intending to retain original (lightly smoked) outer lenses for subtlety though, & probably redo the backing instead.

Vehicle

Quote Originally Posted by 79cord View Post
    Some interesting experiments there.
    I Just ordered some amber orange LED strips, high intensity LED's & electronic flasher relay with the intention of upgrading my 1g integra corner lights with indicators that will hopefully allow me to delete those in the bumper. Intending to retain original (lightly smoked) outer lenses for subtlety though, & probably redo the backing instead.
    You could use your old bumper housings for fog/driving lights. I have thought about installing 2 1156 7W CREEs on either side of the turn signal bulb itself for driving lights. Think it would look cool, and help light the way. But that's just a thought I've tossed around a bit.
    Shaggy
    FF II/ETC I

Vehicle
    79 Accord hatch, 89 CR-X SiR, '74 Z360 h/top, '81 prelude, '65 S600

Spotting the indicators with another bright light directly alongside may not be easy, there used to be a minimum distance from headlamp to indicators as a result. Some cars (Audi?) flash their Running lights with indicators to be more obvious as a result, though not sure how that could be wired electronically.
    Was considering Fog lamp idea.

Vehicle
    1989 Accord LX-i

Cool stuff. Does the panda sit on the trunk lid all the time or only for pics?
    Dr_Snooz

"I like to take hammers, and just break stuff, just break stuff." - Beavis

1989 Honda Accord LX-i Coupe, 240k miles, MT swap, rear disc swap

Shop manual downloads available here: CLICK TO VIEW

Vehicle

Quote Originally Posted by Dr_Snooz View Post
    Cool stuff. Does the panda sit on the trunk lid all the time or only for pics?
    Negative ghost rider. Molly thought it was cute to put it on there and everytime i take it off, when she drives it, it makes its way back on there. :/
    That antenna is for a CB radio though. Previous owner screwed and antenna flange in through the trunk lid and instead of removing it and worrying with any leaking, I've left it like it is until i can find a donor car for a trunk lid. These JYs around here have mostly american made anything. Few and far between to find an import in a yard. And usually, when one makes it to a JY, within a week, it's been gutted. I used to have a panda hanging from a tow clip i had hanging from the rear tow hook. He was very short lived.

Quote Originally Posted by 79cord View Post
    Spotting the indicators with another bright light directly alongside may not be easy, there used to be a minimum distance from headlamp to indicators as a result. Some cars (Audi?) flash their Running lights with indicators to be more obvious as a result, though not sure how that could be wired electronically.
    Was considering Fog lamp idea.
    This is a true conclusion and a very valid point.
    Shaggy
    FF II/ETC I