Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Race Car Issues

LX User
    Vehicle
    1987 accord LX, 1986 accord lxi race car, 1987 prelude

Race Car Issues

I have been having problems with the race car lately. I will start off by saying that since i put the new engine in it the PGMFI light on the dash has been on. We took it to the track and did some hot laps, the car did great with no issues. On the way home we decided to stop and pressure wash the engine bay. Then when we got home and i was unloading it and it acted like it was instantly being turned of and back on again. I then noticed that every time it cut out, the PGMFI light would turn off, then back on again. Long story short every time the engine cuts out the light turns off. Does anyone have any idea what it could be?
    And is revving these engines to 6500-6800 rpm too much for them to handle in stock form?
    Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Beck5953; 04-28-2014 at 03:48 PM.

Vehicle
    87/honda lxi accord, 04 xterra, 87 f-150, 93 f-350, 75 camaro, 01 gsx-r

Re: Race Car Issues

sounds like you got water in the distributor.

LX User
    Vehicle

Quote Originally Posted by JohnBoy View Post
    sounds like you got water in the distributor.
    Ok, i will check tonight and see.
    Thanks

LX User
    Vehicle

Nope, the distributor is dry...

Vehicle

Quote Originally Posted by Beck5953 View Post
    Nope, the distributor is dry...

have you tried starting it again? if the only thing you did is presser wash it. it has to do with water in dis, coil, or fuel filter but that would be rare or the air filter could be wet.

LX User
    Vehicle

No, i dont have a battery for it atm, had to use it for my dd. I will try starting it again once i get a battery.

Vehicle
    86 hatchback, 1990 Lincoln Towncar

bisimoto makes stronger valve springs, there are a number of performance parts available now for these cars, what do the rules limit you too? check out cheddas auto, he now makes some awesome rear upper control arms and aluminum rear arms, that are much stronger then the factory steel lower control arms

LX User
    Vehicle

Quote Originally Posted by lostforawhile View Post
    bisimoto makes stronger valve springs, there are a number of performance parts available now for these cars, what do the rules limit you too? check out cheddas auto, he now makes some awesome rear upper control arms and aluminum rear arms, that are much stronger then the factory steel lower control arms
    It is a completely stock class.

Vehicle

so its a hornet/roadrun class racecar?

Vehicle

It is a completely stock class.

they would never be able to tell the valve springs, or you can use the prelude ones, it would be hard for someone familiar with the car to tell the difference, let alone the average person

LX User
    Vehicle

they would never be able to tell the valve springs, or you can use the prelude ones, it would be hard for someone familiar with the car to tell the difference, let alone the average person
    Very true, are the valve springs the only weakness of that high rpm?

Vehicle

the reason im ask if it is a hornet roadrunner to is some places will even allow adjustable cam gears as well since it not a performance enhancer really. a lot of the time you just drop the car adjust camber right side in left side out. pull all heater and a/c. remove power steering. cut or remover front right brake. tires sized to the track. and if you wanted you can even remover the alternator and run just off the battery you just have to have it on a charger between each race.

LX User
    Vehicle

Quote Originally Posted by JohnBoy View Post
    the reason im ask if it is a hornet roadrunner to is some places will even allow adjustable cam gears as well since it not a performance enhancer really. a lot of the time you just drop the car adjust camber right side in left side out. pull all heater and a/c. remove power steering. cut or remover front right brake. tires sized to the track. and if you wanted you can even remover the alternator and run just off the battery you just have to have it on a charger between each race.
    Sorry, i didnt see your response haha.
    Here are the rules i have to follow. http://i-76speedway.com/index.php?op...ules&Itemid=53

LX User
    Vehicle

Figured out the problem! It was the ecu, idles much smoother now, and throttle feels way more responsive. If i continue to run it 6500-6800 rpm is it going to hurt anything? Does anyone know where valve float is in a stock a20?

Vehicle

Figured out the problem! It was the ecu, idles much smoother now, and throttle feels way more responsive. If i continue to run it 6500-6800 rpm is it going to hurt anything? Does anyone know where valve float is in a stock a20?
    I would overhaul the head to be safe, you can get brand new valves from melling, they sell them on ebay all the time, plus most parts stores can order them, the part numbers are on their site, I would swap the lude springs in or the bisi springs to be safe, change the timing belt and tensioner, factory is gates, you can get the kit anywhere they sell gates, if the oil pump is old, melling makes a replacement, I would have no issue trusting one of their pumps. The pump is considered a stock replacement . it's not a high flow, so no rules issues. You can shim the pressure relief spring in the oil filter housing to increase oil pressure, not a bad idea at high rpms

LX User
    Vehicle

I would overhaul the head to be safe, you can get brand new valves from melling, they sell them on ebay all the time, plus most parts stores can order them, the part numbers are on their site, I would swap the lude springs in or the bisi springs to be safe, change the timing belt and tensioner, factory is gates, you can get the kit anywhere they sell gates, if the oil pump is old, melling makes a replacement, I would have no issue trusting one of their pumps. The pump is considered a stock replacement . it's not a high flow, so no rules issues. You can shim the pressure relief spring in the oil filter housing to increase oil pressure, not a bad idea at high rpms
    Thanks for all the great info! I wont be able to afford any upgrades for a lil while so hopefully it holds up til then.

Vehicle

Thanks for all the great info! I wont be able to afford any upgrades for a lil while so hopefully it holds up til then.

I've seen those melling pumps sell on ebay for under 50 dollars new if you dont know how old the timing belt and tensioner is replace them

Vehicle

I installed a coolant pressure sensor on my street car, good idea for a race car too, if you have a catastrophic failure such as a hose, the temp gauge wont go up, as it depends on the coolant to register, it may even go down because it's exposed to air instead of coolant. With one of those sensors, it will immediately trigger a warning lamp if pressure in the system goes away

Vehicle

LX User
    Vehicle

I will probably get an oil pressure gauge so I can watch the pressure before I replace the oil pump. When I save up the money to do it i will probably get bisi valve springs. As far as all the other stuff I probably wont wory about them unless it becomes an issue. It is a budget class so I am kinda limited to what i can spend. Thanks for all the great info!

Vehicle

I will probably get an oil pressure gauge so I can watch the pressure before I replace the oil pump. When I save up the money to do it i will probably get bisi valve springs. As far as all the other stuff I probably wont wory about them unless it becomes an issue. It is a budget class so I am kinda limited to what i can spend. Thanks for all the great info!
    there are supposed to be stock lude valve springs that can be swapped in, but I'm not sure which, but they are stronger. for handling, replace the worn out rubber radiius rod bushings with the moog ones, they upgraded the stock replacements to poly, much much better and cheap,also considered a stock replacement, moog also makes the problem solver tie rod ends with the grease fitting, much better then stock plus you can force grease through them after a race to flush out the grit, it says you can remove the dash, but can't gut the car? also it says you can't have flammable materials in the car, yet can't gut it? I would think you would have to remove the rear seats and the headliner, due to the foam. If you can take out the dash,the heat and AC box, blower etc, thats a lot of weight, do they allow you to remove the AC? I would think not being able to remove it would cause issues with releasing r12 in a crash
    Last edited by lostforawhile; 05-04-2014 at 07:21 AM.

Vehicle

LX User
    Vehicle

there are supposed to be stock lude valve springs that can be swapped in, but I'm not sure which, but they are stronger. for handling, replace the worn out rubber radiius rod bushings with the moog ones, they upgraded the stock replacements to poly, much much better and cheap,also considered a stock replacement, moog also makes the problem solver tie rod ends with the grease fitting, much better then stock plus you can force grease through them after a race to flush out the grit, it says you can remove the dash, but can't gut the car? also it says you can't have flammable materials in the car, yet can't gut it? I would think you would have to remove the rear seats and the headliner, due to the foam. If you can take out the dash,the heat and AC box, blower etc, thats a lot of weight, do they allow you to remove the AC? I would think not being able to remove it would cause issues with releasing r12 in a crash
    I would love to remove the dash and ac, but the cage is in the way now. I have no idea what i was thinking when i did that.

Vehicle

I would love to remove the dash and ac, but the cage is in the way now. I have no idea what i was thinking when i did that.

dash is plastic cut it apart in sections cut around the tubes just pull the sections from around the tubes , ac evaporator can be removed from under the dash as well as the blower, then you have clear areas to cut out sections

LX User
    Vehicle

dash is plastic cut it apart in sections cut around the tubes just pull the sections from around the tubes , ac evaporator can be removed from under the dash as well as the blower, then you have clear areas to cut out sections
    I will do that if I have problems with keeping up in a race. Still have never raced the car, only hot laps.