Thread: CARB TO EFI / EFI TO CARB Distributor Conversion

Vehicle
    2006 Chevy Cobalt LS

Exclamation CARB TO EFI / EFI TO CARB Distributor Conversion

Here is what you will/might need to convert your EFI distributor to a carb distributor if you are using the a20a3/a20a4 head and plan on running carburetors
    or
    If you already have carbs and are swapping a Carb distributor to an EFI one because you preffer to run the EFI Distributor.

- A20A1/A20A2 (CARB) Distributor or A20A3/A20A4 (EFI) Distributor
    - A20A1/A20A2 Cam Bearring (CARB) shown installed in the pic below.
    I have the A20A3/A20A4 (EFI) Cam Bearring in my hand.
    - A20A1/A20A2 (Carb) Themostat housing or A20A3/A20A4 Thermostat housing (EFI)

You might want to use the A20A3/A20A4 (EFI) Thermostat housing when using the EFI Distributor on the carb motor, since some people have said that the Carb thermostat housing gets in the way... I never tired the EFI distributor with the Carb thermostat housing so I wouldn't know.

(extra: If you need to, swap over any of the Thermovalves from the DX/LX Thermostat housing to the LXI housing, especcially if you intend to bypass the intake manifold heater (Carb). )

I like the LXI thermostat housing cause the temp sending unit for the guage cluster is on it... also you have extra ports to hook up your own coolant temp guage.
    - llia

Vehicle
    97 Dodge Neon
    damn i wish i lived were its warm all the time, i would be messing with my car everyday! its getting colder here and its harder to work on the car

Vehicle
    86 LX JDM B20A

Re: CARB TO EFI / EFI TO CARB Distributor Conversion

Quote Originally Posted by A20A1
    Here is what you will/might need to convert your EFI distributor to a carb distributor if you are using the a20a3/a20a4 head and plan on running carburetors
    or
    If you already have carbs and are swapping a Carb distributor to an EFI one because you preffer to run the EFI Distributor.
    - A20A1/A20A2 (CARB) Distributor or A20A3/A20A4 (EFI) Distributor
    - A20A1/A20A2 Cam Bearring (CARB) shown installed in the pic below.
    I have the A20A3/A20A4 (EFI) Cam Bearring in my hand.
    - A20A1/A20A2 (Carb) Themostat housing or A20A3/A20A4 Thermostat housing (EFI)

You might want to use the A20A3/A20A4 (EFI) Thermostat housing when using the EFI Distributor on the carb motor, since some people have said that the Carb thermostat housing gets in the way... I never tired the EFI distributor with the Carb thermostat housing so I wouldn't know.
    (extra: If you need to, swap over any of the Thermovalves from the DX/LX Thermostat housing to the LXI housing, especcially if you intend to bypass the intake manifold heater (Carb). )
    I like the LXI thermostat housing cause the temp sending unit for the guage cluster is on it... also you have extra ports to hook up your own coolant temp guage.
    Hey Mike,what is it your saying here.I am searching for best most reliable and inexpenive to maintain distributor for my A20 modified carb. I also think I would like mech advance plus vaccuum. I went to JY today and saw all kinds, some metal vac adv, saw a civic with 12 valve and dist that looked like ford dist ,all poston top not on sides. saw a prelude with dual carbs. Mine is corroding some wherre the igniter mounts and I want to have all this stuff top notch when Im finished and Im almost finished unless I decide to do bottom end cyl rebuild. what distributor is a good one, and I guess change thermo housing can be done as well. thanks

Vehicle
    2006 Chevy Cobalt LS

Re: CARB TO EFI / EFI TO CARB Distributor Conversion

I'm sorry I started reading and my eyes got jiggly and stopped working

oh I fixed the link so the pic should show up now.
    - llia