Page 18 of 19 FirstFirst ... 8141516171819 LastLast

Thread: 2nd & 3rd GEN ACCORD WEBER 32/36 & 38 HELP

Vehicle
    89 Accord LXI

Re: 2nd & 3rd GEN ACCORD WEBER 32/36 & 38 HELP

Phone double posted, sorry.
    Last edited by CzEcHy; 08-03-2011 at 02:03 PM.

Vehicle
    86 LX JDM B20A

Quote Originally Posted by thered56 View Post
    I'm in the process of my Weber conversion, and know little about carbs, so excuse the stupid question. Is this (middle of pic) a vacuum line for EGR?

Thanks.
    You can leave the egr with nothing on it.
    Why is that stud on the right so far up? How in the world did you even get a nut on it!
    When I see these uneven lengths on the studs it reminds me that you can easily warp the whole works by tightening the nut as the stud is turning at the same time. This pushes the carb away from the adapter.

LX User
    Vehicle
    '88 Accord LX 4AT

It appears he didn't get that stud, possibly the others as well, completely screwed in first. I would def. revisit that part of the install to be sure. Maybe needs to use a tap to clean out the threads-?

Did you use a stud tool, or the dbl. nut method?

DX User
    Vehicle
    '89 Accord LX

Thanks for the responses guys. I did the double nut, and used loc-tite. It seemed to me as though they went in deep enough. The studs actually aren't at different heights, the top of the one is just hidden from view.

So if I don't use the EGR, just cap both off? Would you guys suggest not using EGR?

LX User
    Vehicle
    '88 Accord LX 4AT

They sure don't look to be at the same height in the pic-
    Last edited by TotaledTL; 08-16-2011 at 10:26 AM.

Vehicle
    86 LX JDM B20A

Quote Originally Posted by TotaledTL View Post
    They sure doesn't look to be at the same height in the pic-
    Me too, I dunno I guess it's the angle of the dangle is making me also see that side of the base lifted up as well.

Vehicle
    1983 Honda Accord automatic EK1

So i just took an hour to read through the entire thread, and am still left with some questions unanswered....But for the helpful and knowledgable indivduals I own a 83 Accord Sedan Stock EK1, Auto Trans, 73,000 miles.
    I pulled a Weber 32/36 DGEV off a 89 Accord Automatic
    -Carb
    -Filter
    -Adapter Plates (2)
    -Custom TV Linkage Bracket (See picture)
    -Hardware

Questions?
    1.)Do I need to purchase a new TV cable in order to set up with my Weber Throttle bracket?

2.) Do i Need to modify the Throttle cable in any way shape or form, i.e cutting, lengthening ect.

3.) If i just yanked this off another accord (Although an 89 not 83) will i need to adjust the idle screws ect.

4.) How can I clean this thing down, because it was sitting in a junkyard for who knows how long? But iverall on the outside it looks in good shape. (See Pics)

Vehicle

Vehicle
    1981 Accord Hatchback, 1984 Accord Sedan

Quote Originally Posted by charliefowle03 View Post
    So i just took an hour to read through the entire thread, and am still left with some questions unanswered....But for the helpful and knowledgable indivduals I own a 83 Accord Sedan Stock EK1, Auto Trans, 73,000 miles.
    -Carb
    -Filter
    -Adapter Plates (2)
    -Hardware

Questions?
    1.)Do I need to purchase a new TV cable in order to set up with my Weber Throttle bracket?
    No, I am pretty sure your TV cable goes directly off the gas pedal. (Maybe I'm thinking of my 81) If so, leave it as is.

2.) Do i Need to modify the Throttle cable in any way shape or form, i.e cutting, lengthening ect.
    If you take the throttle bracket off of your carb, and fit it onto the Weber, there should be no need to modify the cable.

3.) If i just yanked this off another accord (Although an 89 not 83) will i need to adjust the idle screws ect.
    It will probably be pretty close, but you will absolutely have to adjust the idle mixture. You might want to downsize the idle and main jets as well. But you should be able to at least get it running and driving with only adjustments to the idle screw.

4.) How can I clean this thing down, because it was sitting in a junkyard for who knows how long? But iverall on the outside it looks in good shape. (See Pics)
    If you want to really clean it and get it right, buy a rebuild kit and a CAN of carb cleaner. Not the aerosol can, but the paint-can style of can. Take as many parts off as you can and let them soak in the can for a while, then pull them out and they should look as good as new. It will take the brass finish off of some of the parts though and they will look silver. And by replacing all the gaskets and parts while it's apart, you reduce the chance that you'll have problems. Junkyard carbs can be kind of a bitch if there is something wrong with it. Your adapter plate also will not work, but you could probably sell it to a member here for a few bucks.
    Last edited by 2ndGenGuy; 04-03-2012 at 01:22 PM.

Vehicle

Why wouldn't the adapter plate work? Its the same intake manifold bolt pattern right? I believe ithas three hex screws that go into the Intake manifold and has the plate that goes on top of that with thef our studs I think?? I'm not next o itnow but I thought the carb and adapter plates were the same for both generations? Some clarification please.
    Also which vaccum is the advance on the distributor? I think I only see one that comes out the solenoid on the distributor. There will only be one vaccum going to the Weber then and that's the advance? Thanks abunch for all the help!!
    Last edited by charliefowle03; 04-03-2012 at 06:22 PM.

Vehicle

EDIT!!! This is a DGAV 32/36, NOT DGEV 32/36..... there is a difference right? Mine has an Electronic chock it looks like it. with the red wire coming out the front.

Also... will o need and kind of return spring ?
    Last edited by charliefowle03; 04-03-2012 at 06:46 PM.

Vehicle
    2006 Chevy Cobalt LS

Quote Originally Posted by roodoo2 View Post
    Why is that stud on the right so far up? How in the world did you even get a nut on it! When I see these uneven lengths on the studs it reminds me that you can easily warp the whole works by tightening the nut as the stud is turning at the same time. This pushes the carb away from the adapter.
    Done that before

I switched to bolts with a hex key instead of studs and used lock washers, next time I may just use Torx head. Check the clearance of bolt w/ washer with gaskets off the plates then you'll be safe using that length.
    Last edited by A20A1; 04-28-2012 at 11:27 AM.
    - llia

Vehicle
    86 LX JDM B20A

Quote Originally Posted by charliefowle03 View Post
    -Carb
    -Filter
    -Adapter Plates (2)
    -Hardware

Questions?

If your TV cable is indeed connected at the gas pedel inside and not outside by the carb linkage then you have to do nothing but adjust it at the transmisson after you're done installing the new carb. This can be tricky so feel free to ask and post what the details of what you're doing that isn't working.
    Cleaning the carb inside is the most important thing here since there are relatively no moving parts in these other than the throttle,float and accell pump. Fuel flow throughout the carb is most important.
    Provided your shafts are in good shape, you don't really need a carb kit to refresh these carbs, maybe a top gasket if you tear the old one up taking the top hat off. These are designed to take off a number of times using the same gasket. The power valve may need replacing and the accel pump diaphragm since those are organic composed materials that could rot.
    Get some good throttle body cleaner and use the tube that comes with it to clean out every hole you can find. Take out all the jets and E tubes if you can, clean under them. Mark down where everything goes and what your jet and e tube sizes are, this will be important later on when you're wanting to fine tune the carb to the car.

Vehicle
    86 LX JDM B20A

THIS Spiral bore adapter is interesting...
    for a Toyota but the concept applies. 5 hp gain?

Here is a NICE Wiki Tech about Weber and Holley 5200 carbs.
    Very useful information!
    Last edited by 2oodoor; 06-08-2012 at 04:19 AM.

Vehicle
    2006 Chevy Cobalt LS

Nice. I was checking out the DCNF from the wiki site. I remember some one here had one or even possibly installed one.
    - llia

Vehicle
    1985 Accord HB LX

I am rebuilding my 85 1.8L and had planned to put a reman Keihin OEM carb but it has become obvious to me that this will be too difficult and involve emissions parts that I probably wont be able to find ... ie thermovalves... Does anyone have a good list of instructions for converting to the Weber 32/36.
    Also have an unused reman OEM Keihin if anyone needs it.
    JKP Powder Springs GA
    1985 Accord Hatchback LX (stock) 340K
    2010 Odyssey EXL
    1970 Jeepster Commando

Vehicle
    86 hatchback, 1990 Lincoln Towncar

if you want a complete kit, you can go to the website for Pierce manifolds and they sell the complete kit, including the carb, throttle linkages, adapter plate etc, they also have them for second generation and possibly first generation

Vehicle
    86 hatchback, 1990 Lincoln Towncar

Vehicle
    1985 Accord HB LX

That's money ! Thanks for the great tip on Pierce !
    JKP Powder Springs GA
    1985 Accord Hatchback LX (stock) 340K
    2010 Odyssey EXL
    1970 Jeepster Commando

DX User
    Vehicle
    87 Accord LX

K728 kit: It looks like the throttle cable is routed to the firewall side, is that correct? That would require tight bends in the cable, it seems pulling from the front like OEM would be much better.

I've spent hours searching for pictures of a Weber on a 3 gen Accord and have found nothing.

Vehicle
    1989 Accord LX Sedan / 2000 Accord EX v6

thread necro! lol

They make carbs that go either way, throttle on the left or right. The 32/36 I had was a left one so when installed, the throttle cable was on the drivers side.

As you can see, cable routes to drivers side, fuel line route to pass side.
    Originally posted by ShiRen:
    Nice car or not, nobody likes losing a race to an old 4 door Honda.

Vehicle
    1981 Accord Hatchback, 1984 Accord Sedan

You could just flip the carb the other way... I always run mine the other way so the linkage is on the driver's side. Then it'll be pulling from the front of the car.

DX User
    Vehicle
    87 Accord LX

Quote Originally Posted by InAccordance View Post
    thread necro! lol

They make carbs that go either way, throttle on the left or right. The 32/36 I had was a left one so when installed, the throttle cable was on the drivers side.

As you can see, cable routes to drivers side, fuel line route to pass side.
    Excellent, I couldn't tell from the limited photos and drawings available whether it could be rotated or not. I think the fuel nipple can also be reversed.

Thanks for posting the photo, there were a a lot of good photos in this thread I remember looking at, it's too bad they're gone.

DX User
    Vehicle
    87 Accord LX

3rd GEN ACCORD WEBER 32/36 Conversion

I finished my Weber conversion, pretty cool! An easy job overall with a few snags. I machined a throttle cable mount and a swivel connector to avoid modifying the OEM cable and not use the included cable clamp. I switched the fuel inlet and had to fab a mounting for the safety return spring. I installed all new fuel hose and noticed the steel tube from at the firewall was 5/16" so I bought a fuel filter with 5/16" on both ends and avoided a step down hose coupler. After all that, a few cranks and it was purring like a kitten.

Removing the old smog crap was cathartic and there is still more crap to remove but I need to know more about the fuel pump and electric choke systems, there is some kind of logic involved there that I don't want so screw up. See obligatory crap removed photo :-)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC09844.jpg 
Views:	140 
Size:	78.0 KB 
ID:	9063   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC09842.jpg 
Views:	128 
Size:	61.9 KB 
ID:	9064   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC09840.jpg 
Views:	139 
Size:	74.5 KB 
ID:	9065   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC09839.jpg 
Views:	132 
Size:	70.1 KB 
ID:	9066   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC09838.jpg 
Views:	125 
Size:	79.4 KB 
ID:	9067  

Vehicle
    1989 Accord LX Sedan / 2000 Accord EX v6

Groovy!
    Originally posted by ShiRen:
    Nice car or not, nobody likes losing a race to an old 4 door Honda.