Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Calabek : 1987 Accord Aerodeck LXR-S

Vehicle
    1987 Aerodeck

Re: Calabek : 1987 Accord Aerodeck LXR-S

Quote Originally Posted by Dr_Snooz View Post
    It's not completely hopeless. If he was running them on an Aerodeck he owns and loves, then it'd be hopeless. Right now it's difficult. The parts are something taking storage space that he keeps tripping over and the wife keeps hassling him about. I don't know the guy, but I'd expect some combination of "hey I can use those, they're just taking up space in your place, there aren't a lot of Aerodecks left, if you hold on to them long enough, there won't be any left and the parts will be worthless, how do I change your mind?" will work.
    I like the way you think I will get my friend to have another chat to him, but at the moment we don't want to disclose what car they're for. He doesn't know how keen I am to buy them so we're hoping we can get him to let them go and at a cheap price.

Vehicle
    1987 Aerodeck

I have been working hard at uni lately and have had less and less time for the Aerodeck. But I temporarily fixed the idle problem. It was the cold start mechanism sticking shut, so I disabled it for now so I can register the vehicle and it seems to sit steady at about 600 - 700rpm

I also bought this parts book. Every single part number I could ever want + break downs of every component. It has already been worth the $50 I spent on it

I took the Aerodeck out for our first drive today too. Only around the block to test the brakes and to make sure it runs correctly. It is amazing, I am utterly and hopelessly in love with this car. It's smooth, the engine runs well, it's got a unique Japanese feel to it! It's just PERFECT! I cannot wait until I get it registered and use it as a daily!

I took advantage of it being out and took some photos !

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3344.jpg 
Views:	287 
Size:	130.6 KB 
ID:	8165

Name:	IMG_3337.jpg 
Views:	333 
Size:	99.1 KB 
ID:	8166
    Last edited by Calabek; 04-15-2017 at 11:40 PM.

Vehicle
    1987 Aerodeck

Name:	IMG_3304.jpg 
Views:	348 
Size:	109.3 KB 
ID:	8167

Name:	IMG_3307.jpg 
Views:	300 
Size:	99.0 KB 
ID:	8168

Name:	IMG_3311.jpg 
Views:	334 
Size:	126.8 KB 
ID:	8169

Name:	IMG_3319.jpg 
Views:	282 
Size:	96.2 KB 
ID:	8170

Name:	IMG_3332.jpg 
Views:	306 
Size:	112.3 KB 
ID:	8171

Name:	IMG_3324.jpg 
Views:	319 
Size:	64.4 KB 
ID:	8172

Name:	IMG_3326.jpg 
Views:	281 
Size:	85.6 KB 
ID:	8173

Name:	IMG_3328.jpg 
Views:	282 
Size:	64.5 KB 
ID:	8174
    Last edited by Calabek; 04-16-2017 at 12:01 AM.

Vehicle
    1987 Aerodeck

I also took a short video of how the JDM digital climate control works. I couldn't find any videos of it online and found very few pictures of it so I thought I would post one. It's very cool!

I suppose that's all there is to update at the moment.
    Last edited by Calabek; 04-16-2017 at 12:01 AM.

Vehicle
    1989 Accord LX-i

What a beautiful tree lined street! Around here, people cut down any tree that dares grow over 10' tall. We have summer temps above 110F but if a tree drops a leaf on someone's driveway, it comes down. :duh:

Car is looking good too!
    Last edited by Dr_Snooz; 04-12-2014 at 07:31 AM.
    Dr_Snooz

"I like to take hammers, and just break stuff, just break stuff." - Beavis

1989 Honda Accord LX-i Coupe, 240k miles, MT swap, rear disc swap

Shop manual downloads available here: CLICK TO VIEW

Vehicle
    1987 Honda Accord 2.0Si

At least its got a few good options on it (Y)

Vehicle
    1987 Aerodeck

What a beautiful tree lined street! Around here, people cut down any tree that dares grow over 10' tall. We have summer temps above 110F but if a tree drops a leaf on someone's driveway, it comes down. :duh:

Car is looking good too!
    Haha thanks. The trees are actually a pain in the ass. They drop berries that have nuts in them throughout winter and they get stuck in our tires... They are very hard to remove.

Oh yeah we have a lot of places like this here. You'll generally find either the people here are too lazy to get annoying trees removed, or our government is too lazy to do it :P

Quote Originally Posted by AccordB20A View Post
    At least its got a few good options on it (Y)
    Mhm I'm most happy with the digital climate. I would be happy with the power folding mirrors too, but I think the mechanisms are shot. Neither fold in, however I can hear the passenger side TRY to pull in. It's a real shame Oh well... I will try to source some replacement power folding mirrors in the future.

Vehicle
    1987 Honda Accord 2.0Si

pull the mirrors apart and lube them up you may be able to revive them.

i have a spare set if you are interested.

Vehicle
    1987 Aerodeck

Quote Originally Posted by AccordB20A View Post
    pull the mirrors apart and lube them up you may be able to revive them.

i have a spare set if you are interested.
    Okay, I'll try and set aside some time tomorrow to lube them. If it fails and they still don't work, I'll send you a message and see what we can organise. Thanks for your help, man!

Vehicle
    1987 Aerodeck

After a lot of time on the phone today I found out that I cannot get insurance for this vehicle as it doesn't have a compliance 'exempt' sticker (something all imported vehicles needed to have). The reason it doesn't have one is because technically the Aero doesn't need one because it was made before 1989 which means it doesn't have to comply with the ADR (Australian Design Rules). BUT, South Australia overrides the rule with their own laws stating that cars made before 1985 don't need to comply. So I have to follow the SA law. Which means even though I don't need a sticker, apparently in SA I do... So insurance wont give me insurance for the car, but I can't drive the car without insurance. So after more time on the phone, I got an application for driving an unregistered vehicle which allows me to say "I'll be driving the vehicle from A, using roads 1, 2, 3 and 4 to get to B". It doesn't give me insurance for my car, or cover emergency crew levies in the case something happens... it just covers the other person's car.. which... was enough to get me to the chassis repair shop. So today I drove the Aero down to the chassis shop and the helpful owner said it should be done late next week or early the following the week. I must say, the drive was amazing. Very comfortable, I felt safe, I thoroughly enjoyed it. The shop owner's assistant also gave me a compliment and drooled for a little bit So win-win-win!

So after I get this done, I need to get a new muffler, and then it's off to our inspection agency for an ID check and a FULL roadworthy test (I am unhappy about this) to ensure my vehicle is up to standard with the ADRs so I can get that exempt sticker... This is going to be a long and painful process...

Vehicle
    1989 Accord LX-i

Quote Originally Posted by Calabek View Post
    Very comfortable, I felt safe, I thoroughly enjoyed it.
    These cars have a way of winning you over when you drive them, don't they? You might be burned out and bummed out about the build, but a short little drive completely renews your commitment. LOL
    Dr_Snooz

"I like to take hammers, and just break stuff, just break stuff." - Beavis

1989 Honda Accord LX-i Coupe, 240k miles, MT swap, rear disc swap

Shop manual downloads available here: CLICK TO VIEW

Vehicle
    86 LX-i Hatch

Holy sweet fucking 3gee amazingness! I'm in love with this car. All the options you got is crazy. 5 speed swap and it's perfect! If you get the digital gauges you will have the god of 3geez

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk
    Low loud lovin it!
    bosozoku inspired 86 LX-I hatchie
    ~~~~~~~IG @the_boso_3g~~~~~~~

Vehicle
    87/honda lxi accord, 04 xterra, 87 f-150, 93 f-350, 75 camaro, 01 gsx-r

are aero decks legal to import into the us. just wondering

Vehicle
    1987 Aerodeck

These cars have a way of winning you over when you drive them, don't they? You might be burned out and bummed out about the build, but a short little drive completely renews your commitment. LOL
    Mhm I completely agree I can't imagine how pleased and overwhelmed I'll feel once I have the car pass inspection and registered

Quote Originally Posted by Honda Man View Post
    Holy sweet fucking 3gee amazingness! I'm in love with this car. All the options you got is crazy. 5 speed swap and it's perfect! If you get the digital gauges you will have the god of 3geez
    Hehe, thanks
    Well if you know anyone with the digital cluster, hit me up. :3 It's top of my list on items I want to own at the moment. I'm still kicking myself about missing out on the complete set AccordB20A sold earlier this year / late last year. I had only just gotten my Aerodeck and wasn't sure how often they would come up / whether it was a good price. Absolutely kicking myself now though

Vehicle
    86 LX-i Hatch

No worries man at least next time it comes up you can snag! If I see/year anything about it I will let you know. I know for Damn sure i can't afford it

Low loud lovin it!

Vehicle
    1987 Aerodeck

No worries man at least next time it comes up you can snag! If I see/year anything about it I will let you know. I know for Damn sure i can't afford it

Hehe thanks !
    I don't make a lot of money, but the money I do make pretty much goes into modifying and repairing cars #nowife

Vehicle
    1987 Aerodeck

Picked up a badge for the steering wheel from AccordB20A - thanks a bunch, man
    It'll sit where the 'H' badge is in this picture

Name:	IMG_3108.jpg 
Views:	271 
Size:	47.6 KB 
ID:	8175

So this is the new badge, the first picture is when it arrived and the second picture is of a quick clean up i did with some plastic polish and regular polish (but only by hand). Unfortunately it's quite tarnished and doesn't have a nice glossy film... it's more like leather. Any ideas on how to bring it back ?

Last edited by Calabek; 04-16-2017 at 12:05 AM.

Vehicle
    86 LX-i Hatch

Oh wow I love it I've never seen a center piece like that. Sweet

Low loud lovin it!

Vehicle
    1989 Honda Accord Aerodeck 2.0 EXi

Hi Anthony,

Did you get the high revs problem sorted in the end? If so, what was it?

Glenn
    1989 Honda Accord Aerodeck EXi (33k miles)
    CLICK ON THE BADGE FOR DEXTER'S FACEBOOK FANPAGE

Vehicle
    1987 Aerodeck

Oh wow I love it I've never seen a center piece like that. Sweet
    Haha, neither have I. When I saw it I HAD to buy it It's awesome!

Quote Originally Posted by Monzta View Post
    Hi Anthony,

Did you get the high revs problem sorted in the end? If so, what was it?

Glenn
    Hey Glenn, I did find the culprit - that being a small plunger unit that was controlling the cold start RPM. It was getting stuck and holding the cold start far too high, thus making the RPM spike. Unfortunately I haven't been able to fix it, however I have disabled it for now which means I have to be the manual cold start. :P Which I have no problem with as it will allow me to take the car from Point A to Point B. I will fix it in the future though.

Vehicle

Quote Originally Posted by Calabek View Post
    Hey Glenn, I did find the culprit - that being a small plunger unit that was controlling the cold start RPM. It was getting stuck and holding the cold start far too high, thus making the RPM spike. Unfortunately I haven't been able to fix it, however I have disabled it for now which means I have to be the manual cold start. :P Which I have no problem with as it will allow me to take the car from Point A to Point B. I will fix it in the future though.
    Well done, glad it was something fairly simple in the end that you can work around.

Is the car road legal and being used now?

Vehicle
    1987 Aerodeck

Well done, glad it was something fairly simple in the end that you can work around.

Is the car road legal and being used now?
    Unfortunately not. I did some research last week and there are tons and tons or new hurdles I have to jump through. Apparently it conforms to national law, but state law is different and I now need to try and make it conform to state law So instead of spending $50 - $60, I now need to spend $1,000 - $2,000

Vehicle

That's crap mate. Bloody bureaucrats need shooting. I thought our laws were fairly stringent but yours are unnecessarily draconian.

Name:	Bureaucracy.jpg 
Views:	809 
Size:	49.1 KB 
ID:	6178

Vehicle
    79 Accord hatch, 89 CR-X SiR, '74 Z360 h/top, '81 prelude, '65 S600

Major headache. Would things have been much different had the car been currently registered interstate when bought?
    Surely SA can't have too many unique rules compared to the rest of the country. My '89 CRX & friends Civic Ferio SiR only required proof of door side intrusion bars, Australian spec. Unleaded fuel filler cap/neck, rear child restraint anchor/mountings & I think local seatbelts (Japan sometimes only required lap belts in the rear) for Victoria.. Though we didn't do the compliancing.
    I found my '87 CR-X must have been rather dubiously complianced as someone has (afterward?) cut off the factory filler neck leaving nothing to retain a cap, & somehow it was compliance as a 4-seater.. still with the Japanese lap belts in the tiny rear 'seat'.
    Nearly all required parts should be available from local hatchbacks, though of course PROOF it meets requirements is more difficult/expensive than actually making sure it meets them.
    Perhaps a few coats of clear over the badge, which could then be polished smooth? Great piece of history.
    Last edited by 79cord; 04-24-2014 at 04:09 AM.

Vehicle
    1987 Aerodeck

That's crap mate. Bloody bureaucrats need shooting. I thought our laws were fairly stringent but yours are unnecessarily draconian.

Name:	Bureaucracy.jpg 
Views:	809 
Size:	49.1 KB 
ID:	6178
    Haha yeah it is pretty horrible over here. I can't talk for other states, but I have heard that my state is the worst in the country :/ Our roads are shit, our rules are shit and our police are strict... well... they don't follow the rules. It's more down to luck... whether you've caught them on a good day or not :P

Awesome picture :P

Quote Originally Posted by 79cord View Post
    Major headache. Would things have been much different had the car been currently registered interstate when bought?
    Surely SA can't have too many unique rules compared to the rest of the country. My '89 CRX & friends Civic Ferio SiR only required proof of door side intrusion bars, Australian spec. Unleaded fuel filler cap/neck, rear child restraint anchor/mountings & I think local seatbelts (Japan sometimes only required lap belts in the rear) for Victoria.. Though we didn't do the compliancing.
    I found my '87 CR-X must have been rather dubiously complianced as someone has (afterward?) cut off the factory filler neck leaving nothing to retain a cap, & somehow it was compliance as a 4-seater.. still with the Japanese lap belts in the tiny rear 'seat'.
    Nearly all required parts should be available from local hatchbacks, though of course PROOF it meets requirements is more difficult/expensive than actually making sure it meets them.
    Perhaps a few coats of clear over the badge, which could then be polished smooth? Great piece of history.
    Well, it's not necessarily the car itself that's the problem. (It's much easier explaining this to an Australian who knows the rules :P ) it's missing an exempt sticker which it never actually needed in QLD. Long story short, SA requires imports post 1985 to have one, but because no other state in Australia has this rule (as the default set by the Import Infrastructure of Australia states imports made before 1989 don't need a sticker nor do they need to comply to ADR) it never got a little sticker ... so now it needs to go for both an ID check and also full rwc which means i have to fix up all the little shit that's wrong with it as our inspection agencies are tough as balls it's extremely unheard of someone passing inspection on their first go. our state is pretty greedy (first inspection is about $180, second is $110 or $100) so most people are always back for a second inspection.

however, things like seat belts were changed when it initially hit Aus back in 02, i have both the mod plate and mod cert for proof. which is a plus.

as for the badge, a few of my friends have told me 2000 grit may be the best way to go, however it's not 100%, it could just scratch it up... :/ I would prefer not to mess it up. I wonder if I can find someone in SA who deals with things like this... ?