Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: AOM Feedback & Ideas

Vehicle
    87 Accord (RIP), 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee

AOM Feedback & Ideas

Since we've been running dry on nominations these past few months, I'm looking at ways we can encourage more participation.

One rule I'm considering getting rid of is the ban on self nominations. Any other ideas are welcome in this thread.

Here are the existing rules:

I want to post this so that everyone can see how the AOM system is run. There may be slight changes from time to time, which would only serve to streamline operations. After the first months, we may have learned a few things and want to update the rules.

1) Accord of the Month Requirements
    In order to be AOM (Accord of the Month), there are a few requirements. These requirements must ALL be satisfied in order for the nomination process to continue for a vehicle.
    - The current vehicle owner must be a member of 3geez. Only the current vehicle owner may be eligible.
    - The current vehicle owner must be in one of the following usergroups: Registered (DX User, LX User, LXi User, SEi User, 2.0Si User, 3geez Veteran), Foundation Member, Moderator, Administrator, Director.
    - The AOM must be a 1st, 2nd, or 3rd Generation Honda Accord.
    - There must be no considerable damage or missing body parts on the vehicle at the time of nomination, unless said alterations are meant to aesthetically enhance the vehicle's appearance, increase performance, or is the result of organized racing competition.
    - Vehicles that have been awarded AOM after June 2007 are ineligible for AOM consideration for a period of two years after they were last awarded AOM.

2) The Nominating Process
    - A thread is to be created in the Accord of the Month forum by 3geez Administration for nominations at the beginning of every month.
    - A list is to be created in the Nomination Thread listing the past AOM winners that are ineligible for AOM consideration.
    - Self nominations are not allowed.
    - Members must have at least 50 posts in order to nominate a vehicle for AOM.
    - When nominating a vehicle, please do so in the thread dedicated to nominations ONLY. Any posts in other threads will be deleted.
    - When nominating a vehicle, a picture of the vehicle MUST be included, as well as either a mod list or detailed paragraph explaining why that car is being nominated. If no picture, or an insufficient explanation, is provided before the voting stage begins, that nomination will be removed from consideration. Please see https://www.3geez.com/forum/announcement.php?f=12&a=28 for instructions on how to post pictures.
    - The member nominating the vehicle may consult with the vehicle owner in compiling the write-up and pictures.
    - No discussion is allowed in the nomination or voting poll. In the nomination thread, all posts that are not valid nominations will be deleted. Seconded or duplicate nominations will be deleted.
    - No campaigning is allowed anywhere on the board during the nomination stage.
    - The nomination thread is to be left open until the 20th of the month. After the 20th, the thread is to be locked.

3) The Selection Process
    - 3geez Administration will select all valid nominations for use in the AOM voting thread and disregard invalid nominations based upon the requirements set forth above.

4) The Voting Process
    - A poll is to be created by 3geez Administration in the Accord of the Month forum where all members can vote for the AOM.
    - The voting thread is to be left open until the end of the month.
    - The poll is to include pictures and descriptions for each vehicle being voted on.
    - In the voting poll, ALL posts not made by 3geez Administration will be deleted. The point is to make voting and nomination as objective as possible. If you don't agree with a particular nomination, then don't vote for it.
    - No campaigning is allowed anywhere on the board during the voting stage.
    - The winner of the voting poll at the end of the month is to be the Accord of the Month for the following month.

5) The Award Process
    - Upon the closing of the AOM voting thread, 3geez Administration is to create a thread congratulating the current owner of the winning vehicle. This thread will be open for all members to comment.
    - The Winner Thread is to contain a picture of the winning vehicle and the write-up submitted in the nomination thread.
    - The current owner of the winning vehicle will receive a custom user title signifying his/her award of AOM.
    - If there is only one valid nomination, then there will not be a voting stage. The sole nomination will be named AOM.
    - If no vehicles are nominated for AOM, the second place contestant from the most recent voting poll will be awarded AOM. In following months, if nominations continue to be absent, or if the second place contestant from the most recent voting poll has already been awarded AOM in the past 24 months, the selection will move on to the next eligible second place contestant in subsequently prior voting polls.
    - Joe

Vehicle
    1989 Honda Accord SE-i Coupe

Re: AOM Feedback & Ideas

I think the ban on self-nomination should be kept. I for one, would never nominate myself, and i think we should keep self-promotion out of it.

One thing i would suggest though, is that we can nominate people without a list of pics, mods, etc. The nominator could just pick someone, and its up to the nominatee to post a mod list and pictures. I think that way, the person could pick their best pictures to display, and it wouldnt be such a hassle to nominate someone.

For example, nomination process can go as such:

Quote Originally Posted by 2DrSE-i
    I would like no nominate Your_Mother for accord of the month
    Quote Originally Posted by your_mother
    Thanks 2drse-i! heres a bunch of pictures and my mods list! I Desperately need some weight reduction though...
    Maybe the nominator could send a PM to the nominee to let them know theyve been nominated.
    Last edited by 2drSE-i; 09-08-2009 at 11:51 AM.
    '89 SE-i Coupe
    Awaiting Garage
    Quote Originally Posted by AccordEpicenter View Post
    its better to be retarded than advanced

Vehicle
    88 lx sedan (R.I.P.) / 89 LX sedan(sold) / 89 lxi parts car(towed away) / 87 lxi hatch

idk to me honestly accord tuner allows self nomination and you get a wider verity of cars not necessarily more

we can get the limit to 10 cars and youcan only nominate your self once every say 3 months if you did not win i think it would liven things up a bit to be honest

also maybe a month subscription to the founders like a prize its a lil more tangible then a badge and a thread actually gives you something else to do would help the possible sales of foundation

Vehicle
    '89 Accord 2.0i-16 | '89 Accord 1.6 STD | '84 Opel Ascona

ROFL at the subtle your momma joke

And yeah, I think self nomination should be kept out. The 'you have to post mods and pics' thing is probably one that keeps people from nominating.

I agree with all that 2drSE-i said.

Vehicle
    86 LX JDM B20A

I nominated several members last year and most of them won, but yes it is an effort to find the best pics and get them pasted.
    And btw, Your_Mother should clean the junk from the trunk in those pics first buahhh

Vehicle
    1988 Honda Vigor

yeah +1 with 2drSE-i's post

3Geez Veteran Civic Accord Honda's Avatar
    Vehicle
    1995 Civic/ 1988 CRX

what godzilla said

1988 Honda Accord LX-i Coupe 123k miles.

3Geez Veteran
    Vehicle
    89 LXi Sedan (sold) - Car free now, with hella bikes

Quote Originally Posted by ghettogeddy View Post
    we can get the limit to 10 cars and youcan only nominate your self once every say 3 months if you did not win i think it would liven things up a bit to be honest
    not a bad idea..

i wanted to nominate Tommy (in thailand)'s car but i couldnt get a mod list from him so i never nominated

i havent been paying attention much to AOM lately since my car doesnt qualify with all its dings :'(

Accord of the Year - 2006

self nominations would definately get the nominations up, which I really wouldnt mind. One thing that might happen with that is the quality of cars nominated would drop.

Vehicle
    88 lx sedan (R.I.P.) / 89 LX sedan(sold) / 89 lxi parts car(towed away) / 87 lxi hatch

Quote Originally Posted by guaynabo89 View Post
    self nominations would definately get the nominations up, which I really wouldnt mind. One thing that might happen with that is the quality of cars nominated would drop.
    well with the quality of cars dropping the real competition starts lol

poeple will see side by side what there up against and hopefully try to make it better lol

Vehicle

I agree it can be time consuming and prohibitive to dig up pics and a mod list (or at least a detailed paragraph, as the current rules state) to nominate someone. However, if none of those are provided, then how can voters make an informed decision? And if none of those are available, then what is the basis for the nomination in the first place? Voting, for that member at least, would be largely based on popularity and simple randomness.

I can see possibly removing the requirements to write something in conjunction with the nomination, but at the very least I think we need pics. Plus, we'd need some sort of verification that the work done on a car actually happened, and not just someone BS'ing.

For the self nominations, remember that we do have requirements for who can make it to the voting stage. So concerns about quality of AOM winners may not be taking that into account. However, I do agree that we may see a wider variation in quality of cars being nominated obviously. Whereas a member is going to make sure the car he's nominating is eligible before going through all that work, a member who is self-nominating will probably care less about the exact requirements in the face of self promotion. This will put a greater burden on staff to make sure that the car is eligible. It's not a big deal to me - I tend to be more inclusive in my interpretation of the rules - but it's a judgment call that I and the rest of the staff would need to make more often. And voters in past polls have done a very good job in making sure that high quality cars get the award.

On a side note, one requirement I would like to remove is that the current vehicle owner must be a 3geez member. This would allow members who have sold their cars to still be eligible for nomination with that car. A nice car is a nice car, and we tend to associate members with their Accords, even if that Accord is long gone and the member has moved on to something else. In any case, it's a tough rule to enforce because quite frankly I can't possibly know who actually owns what in every situation.

So I'm at three ideas now:

Allow self-nominations
    Allow pics-only nominations (no writeup needed)
    Remove requirement that current vehicle owner must be a 3geez member
    - Joe

Vehicle

Quote Originally Posted by 87accordlxi View Post
    I agree it can be time consuming and prohibitive to dig up pics and a mod list (or at least a detailed paragraph, as the current rules state) to nominate someone. However, if none of those are provided, then how can voters make an informed decision? And if none of those are available, then what is the basis for the nomination in the first place? Voting, for that member at least, would be largely based on popularity and simple randomness.

I can see possibly removing the requirements to write something in conjunction with the nomination, but at the very least I think we need pics. Plus, we'd need some sort of verification that the work done on a car actually happened, and not just someone BS'ing.

For the self nominations, remember that we do have requirements for who can make it to the voting stage. So concerns about quality of AOM winners may not be taking that into account. However, I do agree that we may see a wider variation in quality of cars being nominated obviously. Whereas a member is going to make sure the car he's nominating is eligible before going through all that work, a member who is self-nominating will probably care less about the exact requirements in the face of self promotion. This will put a greater burden on staff to make sure that the car is eligible. It's not a big deal to me - I tend to be more inclusive in my interpretation of the rules - but it's a judgment call that I and the rest of the staff would need to make more often. And voters in past polls have done a very good job in making sure that high quality cars get the award.

On a side note, one requirement I would like to remove is that the current vehicle owner must be a 3geez member. This would allow members who have sold their cars to still be eligible for nomination with that car. A nice car is a nice car, and we tend to associate members with their Accords, even if that Accord is long gone and the member has moved on to something else. In any case, it's a tough rule to enforce because quite frankly I can't possibly know who actually owns what in every situation.

So I'm at three ideas now:

Allow self-nominations
    Allow pics-only nominations (no writeup needed)
    Remove requirement that current vehicle owner must be a 3geez member
    well i think that if the self nomination is added there is no need to remove the mods
    same with the current car owner thing i personally wont be voting for some one who dosent even own the car same with any old members that have well stoped posting all together yes a car is a car but it think the main function of aom is to create a modding or restoration atmosphere that is up to date

Vehicle
    1987 Honda Accord 2.0Si

i thought about if you could change it for members that have multiple cars can have both of their cars nominated within the year or two not just one car per 2 years how it is now. if you understand what i mean

Vehicle

Quote Originally Posted by AccordB20A View Post
    i thought about if you could change it for members that have multiple cars can have both of their cars nominated within the year or two not just one car per 2 years how it is now. if you understand what i mean
    There's always been some confusion over whether the car is being nominated or the user. The rules were rewritten some time ago to clarify that it's the car. So theoretically, a user can be nominated twice in the two year period if he has two cars eligible for nomination.
    - Joe

Vehicle
    1988 Honda Accord DX, 250,000 Miles, Daily Driver

I think we should do the other things listed above and wait on the self nomination. I think it would be best if we wait and see if the other things work for a few months, then if they didnt work we could add self nominations later.

1988 Honda Accord LSDX-I

Vehicle
    86 LX JDM B20A

Ditto Conozo and AccordB20A, those are both great points

Vehicle
    Honda Accord's EXi #1 [A20a4] R.I.P & #2 [B20a2]

I say, that every AOM must post at least 2 pics of engine, interior and exterior. short or full mood list to be legit for voting..
    Because everyone can say they have a H22 under there, but no picks right? so thereby at least 2 of the engine..

Its prttey fnuny how you can raed tihs eintre snetnece with all tehse ellters out of palce...

My Build Thread

Vehicle

i dont see the big fuss in self nomination any of you nay sayers care to explain why your against it

Accord of the Year - 2006

Quote Originally Posted by ghettogeddy View Post
    i dont see the big fuss in self nomination any of you nay sayers care to explain why your against it

Would also like to know

Vehicle
    89 Accord LX/B20A | 87 Accord Hatch "S" Stock | 94 Civic Hatch CX

I think it was to prevent Mike from nominating himself j/k (some people will know who I'm talking about)

http://pages.videotron.com/omus
    3geez member since July 12 2000

I need these parts!
    https://www.3geez.com/forum/showthread.php?t=67742

Vehicle
    86 LX JDM B20A

Quote Originally Posted by guaynabo89 View Post
    Would also like to know
    I think if you provide a decent set of pics and information on your car in your thread or garage you are automatically putting yourself up for nomination eligability. After that it depends on being in the favor of at least one person to nominate you for AOM.
    I guess adding one more person, yourself, to that pool is not so bad. If you look at the past two years, it really doesnt take an extensively modded or customized car to win anyway. Sometimes it even seemed a bit of a popularity contest.
    I could see maybe an added load of moderating in the nomination thread though if individuals could nom themselves in.

Vehicle
    89 LX-i(5speed)

Quote Originally Posted by 87accordlxi View Post
    There's always been some confusion over whether the car is being nominated or the user. The rules were rewritten some time ago to clarify that it's the car. So theoretically, a user can be nominated twice in the two year period if he has two cars eligible for nomination.
    thank you...i own 2 cars and i didnt know if my 2nd car could be nominated

1989 Honda Accord LX-i
    B18c1 swap since 7/2011
    175whp and 132tq
    Redzone tuned

3Geez Veteran
    Vehicle
    89 LXi Sedan (sold) - Car free now, with hella bikes

Quote Originally Posted by Tomisimo View Post
    I say, that every AOM must post at least 2 pics of engine, interior and exterior. short or full mood list to be legit for voting..
    Because everyone can say they have a H22 under there, but no picks right? so thereby at least 2 of the engine..
    i agree.. at least 1 engine and 1 interior shot should be required especially for self nominations

Vehicle
    1988 Hatch LXI

I agree with the popularity contest Roodoo.... I know everyone has the right to vote for who they want to vote for, but to vote for someone's car just because "they are my friend" is a bit unfair. I've always looked at the amount of work and dedication that was put into the car when I vote. I would also agree with self nominations as well in the future. I think that a lot of nice cars get overlooked and unnominated sometimes....I always try to nominate those cars but I am not on like I used to be lol

Quote Originally Posted by bullard123 View Post
    I agree with the popularity contest Roodoo.... I know everyone has the right to vote for who they want to vote for, but to vote for someone's car just because "they are my friend" is a bit unfair. I've always looked at the amount of work and dedication that was put into the car when I vote. I would also agree with self nominations as well in the future. I think that a lot of nice cars get overlooked and nominated sometimes....I always try to nominate those cars but I am not on like I used to be lol
    I agree with bullard on this one.

For me i feel that someone nominating you shows the respect other's have for the hard work and accomplishments that have been made on you're ride. If I nominated my self i would not get that feeling of recognition.

I think just being nominated is an honer! Someone taking the time out to say hey this car is bad ass, clean, mint or whatever. If you win it's the icing on the cake.
    un-motivated!
    someone make me an offer i just could not say no to.

3GR