Thread: Manual power steering rack

Vehicle
    89/accord/lxi

Manual power steering rack

The title says it all. I'd like a manual rack from a Canadian car or anywhere that got them for that matter. Let me know what you got.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

Vehicle
    87 Accord DX

Re: Manual power steering rack

Is this for clearance issues or do you just want a non powered rack?
    Imo our power racks have a really good steering ratio, they work good depowered. Haven't gotten to run mine without the piston though.

Vehicle
    89/accord/lxi

Quote Originally Posted by ShiRen View Post
    Is this for clearance issues or do you just want a non powered rack?
    Just one to have one. There is plenty of room for activities in my engine bay. Nothing with the a2b hit or rubs the halfshaft mount was made to clean the alternator and physically can not lean back that far to hit there sub frame.
    The manual rack is just so I can clean up the engine bay more so a better and cleaner looking area noting more noting less

Vehicle
    87 Accord DX

That's a tall order lol. I would suggest just depowering a power rack, the pumbing will be gone and you can't see the rack in the engine bay, plus you will get a better steering ratio.

Vehicle
    89/accord/lxi

That's a tall order lol. I would suggest just depowering a power rack, the pumbing will be gone and you can't see the rack in the engine bay, plus you will get a better steering ratio.
    Yeah but everything I do is a tall order. Of I can have a 5 speed awd trans shipped for Ontario and a second one shipped for the east coast to me in California I'm sure a manual rack isn't gonna be hard. The hardest part is finding someone well to work with me to get it done. I'm not worried about streeting radius or any of that it's really just for looks it's cleaner without the hoses and sensors on it even when you D power or manual rack there still stuff hanging off of it where they won't be on a manual rack

Vehicle
    88 LXi

Where they just in Canadian cars? DX models?
    1988 Lxi owner since August 1995
    336k miles running strong!
    Now running E85.

Oldblueaccord <<< MY YOUTUBE PAGE!

Vehicle
    87 Accord DX

There is nothing hanging off my rack, I'm pretty sure you can block off the valve body too if you don't have fluid or a piston. Hell you could probably weld the holes shut, cut the mounting flange off and paint or polish the thing and nobody would ever know it was a power rack. The rack is nestled in the subframe anyway. Last time I checked they were unobtainium and we don't really have forum users from the great white north. If you do find a supplier be sure to let us all know... Im sure some of us would just want a rack that doesn't hemorrhage oil from the driver side boot

Vehicle
    1988 Honda Accord LXi Hatchback

Was the manual car's power steering rack rare? I just recently paid about $1800 for a shop to replace mine, was about double the car's value but at least the rack is working fine still.

Vehicle
    89/accord/lxi

Quote Originally Posted by Oldblueaccord View Post
    Where they just in Canadian cars? DX models?
    I doubt it. I'm sure other places in the world got them but Canada is closer so shipping would be cheaper lol

Vehicle
    89/accord/lxi

There is nothing hanging off my rack, I'm pretty sure you can block off the valve body too if you don't have fluid or a piston. Hell you could probably weld the holes shut, cut the mounting flange off and paint or polish the thing and nobody would ever know it was a power rack. The rack is nestled in the subframe anyway. Last time I checked they were unobtainium and we don't really have forum users from the great white north. If you do find a supplier be sure to let us all know... Im sure some of us would just want a rack that doesn't hemorrhage oil from the driver side boot
    Yeah I have a spare powered rack so swapping it out isn't a big deal but like I said I would just like a manual rack

Vehicle
    89/accord/lxi

Quote Originally Posted by Jinnai View Post
    Was the manual car's power steering rack rare? I just recently paid about $1800 for a shop to replace mine, was about double the car's value but at least the rack is working fine still.
    I wouldn't say rare as it was a base model it's more so they rust out up there and we don't have many members there that are willing to pull parts. But that shop got over on you 1800 is at least $1000 to much. It's about $200-$300 in part's. The cost really is a problem for me I just would like to have one that's all

Vehicle
    87 Accord DX

I would assume mexi-co got them as well.

Vehicle
    1989 Accord LX-i

Pretty sure you're looking for unicorn teeth. There was discussion about manual rack options here on the board some years ago. Some members insisted they exist, but no one was able to provide proof that a manual rack of any kind was ever specced on these cars. Maybe the Lichtenstein Domestic Market got some uber-rare half-Civic Frankenstein setup with a 1.3L engine and a manual rack, but I doubt it. I would browse Rock Auto's site for a manual rack for an Integra or something and make it work. Some additional fab work will undoubtedly be involved, especially in getting the spline shaft to mate with the steering column. IMHO, it seems like a lot of additional work to eliminate a very well-engineered PS setup.
    Dr_Snooz

"I like to take hammers, and just break stuff, just break stuff." - Beavis

1989 Honda Accord LX-i Coupe, 240k miles, MT swap, rear disc swap

Shop manual downloads available here: CLICK TO VIEW

Vehicle
    89/accord/lxi

Quote Originally Posted by Dr_Snooz View Post
    Pretty sure you're looking for unicorn teeth. There was discussion about manual rack options here on the board some years ago. Some members insisted they exist, but no one was able to provide proof that a manual rack of any kind was ever specced on these cars. Maybe the Lichtenstein Domestic Market got some uber-rare half-Civic Frankenstein setup with a 1.3L engine and a manual rack, but I doubt it. I would browse Rock Auto's site for a manual rack for an Integra or something and make it work. Some additional fab work will undoubtedly be involved, especially in getting the spline shaft to mate with the steering column. IMHO, it seems like a lot of additional work to eliminate a very well-engineered PS setup.
    Your right I seen the post and that's kinda why I asking I have however found a lead one some thing that may be a lot closer then the integra but I'll have to wait tell the end of winter to find out if they are going to full part out there ride before I can get it. Sooo much like everything I do and now we wait lol ahahahaha

Vehicle
    87 Accord DX

I thought a 3rd gen civic rack fit, but it might be too narrow. Never thought about a 1st gen integra, that's an idea.

Vehicle
    1989 Accord LX Sedan / 2000 Accord EX v6

Quote Originally Posted by Jinnai View Post
    holy shit, it only cost me a little over 200 bucks in labor and I paid 120ish for the rack itself. You got ripped hard.
    Originally posted by ShiRen:
    Nice car or not, nobody likes losing a race to an old 4 door Honda.