Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 456789 LastLast

Thread: D Series Swap...

LX User
    Vehicle
    2008 Honda Fit, 1993 Ford Mustang, 1989 Accord LX

Re: D Series Swap...

Quote Originally Posted by stat1K View Post
    that link i just sent you is higher than that, did you even click on it? 154 to the wheels with a mild build, no where near "fully built." It has a stock z6 block, a6 pistons, y8 head slightly milled, running a crower 2 cam... that's IT! the rest is bolt ons. that whole cost right there would run you in the 600 dollar range including parts, maybe less considering the cheapness of d-series parts... i know i got a z6 block with bad rings for FREE.

to top it off that's not even a true high comp build only running 10.75, i've seen way higher numbers when you get into the 11:1 compression ratios.

please if you don't know what you're talking about don't post. saying you would go with a y8 is proof enough of that point (mmmmmmmmm spun rod bearings).

oh and on a side note, honda measures stock numbers from the crank, so think about how much power the a20 really has when factoring in a 20% drive train loss. these numbers posted in the thread i linked are AT THE WHEELS!
    That might be what it runs in a CIVIC but what about the Accord, a car that is heavier? And you say 600 for parts but how about the custom mounts that are needed for a 3G Accord? and the customer axles? and so on and so on. If you want to swap a D series into an Accord, be my guest. I don't care.

DX User
    Vehicle
    hopefully something that DOESN'T break everytime you try to fix it

we're really gunna get into all this? wow.
    honduh

LX User
    Vehicle

Quote Originally Posted by JordanQ View Post
    we're really gunna get into all this? wow.
    Gotta talk about something!

Vehicle
    86 Honda Accord sedan B-series

Quote Originally Posted by cubert View Post
    Yea...youre right...low 13's, or even low to mid 14's out of a small displacement SOHC car "aint shit".

But hey, whatever makes you feel better.
    Did it make you feel better telling me that.

200+ ALL MOTOR LS VTEC

Vehicle

Quote Originally Posted by Edison Carasio View Post
    Gotta talk about something!
    Haha true. I would only build a d if I had a civic. My brother an I currently building a fj rod/vitara build on Honda oem bearings . Should lay 400whp after tune. Total kit cost 600 cheap. Now that's a whole different ball game. Cheap build. D's are good don't get me wrong but not worth it. It's Like me putting a f22 into a 3/4 ton lol I mean.

200+ ALL MOTOR LS VTEC

Vehicle
    2005 ES2 Civic, 2018 Toyota 4Runner SR5 Premium 4x4

i run consistant 15.5's with a dx trans, a 1.5 block w/ sohc zc head, an ebay header and intake with 2" exhaust.

when i was vtec with the si trans i ran slightly better but had a valve problem in the head.

what i said is still true, my car and my motor out perform 90% of this site, your car rendon would be one of the cars that i called "fast." comparing my car to yours is just stupid as i have NO BOOST and no real power adders. car is stock with I/H/E. And i'm not arguing that an F-motor, an H-motor, a B-motor, or a J-motor isn't going to be a BETTER swap, this thread was made for one reason, to ask about the potential of a d-swap. that's what i'm answering and that's what i'm talking about.

of course motors with higher displacement, better flow, and higher output to begin with are going to be better, but that's not what was asked was it?

for the record, several people in here have dogged the f-motors and the d-motors both, but for some reason bisi, who is probably the BEST honda tuner/manufacture in the game, seems to love both? cheap, reliable, easy to build, easy to create power. simple facts... for some reason b-series motors are still overpriced even with the introduction into of the newer motors on the market. go figure why people still build d-motors.

also, someone said earlier that they wouldn't consider all the motors from 88-2000 for a build, i would use most of them for sure, the d15bX (exceptions are the b8 and b6 heads, but you can still utilize the blocks as they are the same as the other d15bX blocks) i would use, the d15b jdm i would definitely use, any d16 i would use, the y5/6/7/8's do have a propensity to spin the number 1 but that can be cured with an upgraded oil pump, a baffle, and better oils, the zc's are nice in dual and sohc, the d17's are capable of super high numbers as well and they already run on distributorless ignition which is a pluss. hard to find anything wrong with the motors, but remember a lot of these cars were rated at the power with HUGE restrictions. the d15b2 i had in my crx was rated at 92hp WITH DPFI a restrictive intake manifold with only 2 injectors, basically an electronic carb.

i know a lot of you have these things stuck in your head and that's fine, but thinking your a-motor is a better alternative is limited thinking as well. the A can and does make power given the proper circumstance, but many of us, myself included, aren't going to put the money into one to get it where it can be.

if i had another 3g i WOULD b-swap it, however, if i had a welder, some free time, a d16 and a non running accord, i would consider the title of this thread and the information given here. so keep being "3g" purists but i'm going to continue to be a honda fan of all of the motors they've produced including the d-motor.
    dead white and blue

LX User
    Vehicle

Don't get me wrong, I'm not dogging the D-series. Infact I want a CRX to build a D, BUT in this particular application I wouldn't do it. That's all.

Vehicle
    1989 Honda Accord SE-i Coupe

Quote Originally Posted by Edison Carasio View Post
    Don't get me wrong, I'm not dogging the D-series. Infact I want a CRX to build a D, BUT in this particular application I wouldn't do it. That's all.
    For my current car, I will be sticking with the A. If i ever come up with another 3g though, it will be a SOHC F.
    '89 SE-i Coupe
    Awaiting Garage
    Quote Originally Posted by AccordEpicenter View Post
    its better to be retarded than advanced

LX User
    Vehicle
    1989 Honda Accord LXi Coupe, 1995 Dodge Ram 1500

For all the effort involved with either swap I would go with the F over the D as well.

The F is just as easy to find and cheap as the D, with higher displacement.

LX User
    Vehicle

Quote Originally Posted by Harrison_Bergeron View Post
    For all the effort involved with either swap I would go with the F over the D as well.

The F is just as easy to find and cheap as the D, with higher displacement.

I agree with this.

Vehicle
    1981 Accord Hatchback, 1984 Accord Sedan

Who cares, they're all slow.

Build what you like. They can all be built differently and will have their own characteristics. Take advantage of what your favorite engine has to offer and enjoy it.

LX User
    Vehicle

Quote Originally Posted by 2ndGenGuy View Post
    Who cares, they're all slow.

Build what you like. They can all be built differently and will have their own characteristics. Take advantage of what your favorite engine has to offer and enjoy it.
    now this I REALLY like. Can't we all just get along?

Makes me remember when I was on the Mustang forums here locally. There, an "average" car was putting down 500+ hp and tq but on the Honda forums I'm part of (STL Hondas, 3geez, Fitfreak), a car with 200 HP is fast. lol

Vehicle

All hondas are slow lol. I'm not dogging d's either my bro has one but at the moment it's getting fj rods an vitaras. Getting bisi valve train

200+ ALL MOTOR LS VTEC

Vehicle
    86 LX JDM B20A

VERY good response stat1k...
    I agree, If I was scrounging up for a car and had a 3rd gen body and somebody gave me a D15 or what have you.. of course I would make it work and have a pretty cool car, quick car as well.
    Of course there are plenty of choices, probably better maybe not, depends on one's resources and skill level.
    Getting the weight out of the car makes a world of difference. Food for thought, mmm speaking of I think I want some fried rice

3Geez Veteran Civic Accord Honda's Avatar
    Vehicle
    1995 Civic/ 1988 CRX

why d-series is win
    easy 400hp with a ebay turbo and vitara build probably pay less then a grand for whole setup and tune too.

why i love f-series
    Quote Originally Posted by hondabob
    On 9 psi (all the stock exhaust could flow) the accord put down 180whp and 220wtq on a mustang dyno. On open downpipe at 15psi, (at the time it was before the side exit, the 2.5" downpipe cut right after the o2 bung, witch was right after a 2" flex section) the accord put down 240whp and 270 wtq
    Quote Originally Posted by hondabob
    On 9 psi (all the stock exhaust could flow) the accord put down 180whp and 220wtq on a mustang dyno. On open downpipe at 15psi, (at the time it was before the side exit, the 2.5" downpipe cut right after the o2 bung, witch was right after a 2" flex section) the accord put down 240whp and 270 wtq
    on stock internals with 230k miles just a dsm turbo and manifold with a tune and aftermarket injectors...
    link with dynos here
    http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=144116

and why i love the A-series
    reliblity , strong engines, good power band with a intake headers and exhuast they can be pretty fun cars,

but honestly if i had a 3g with a bad A20 i would really try to get a D in there and boost the hell out of it

1988 Honda Accord LX-i Coupe 123k miles.

Vehicle
    89 Honda Accord Coupe

Quote Originally Posted by Civic Accord Honda View Post
    why d-series is win

but honestly if i had a 3g with a bad A20 i would really try to get a D in there and boost the hell out of it
    i heard d series cant handle the power i know a guy that bought 2 engines and blew them both lol and with boost. buts thats on you CAH

Vehicle
    2012 Civic si, old bikes.

Vehicle
    89 Honda Accord Coupe

let me guess cubert is that facepalm for me??

3Geez Veteran Civic Accord Honda's Avatar
    Vehicle
    1995 Civic/ 1988 CRX

Quote Originally Posted by cubert View Post
    +1

d-series are known to handle boost very well shyboy.... go to d-series.org and study up

1988 Honda Accord LX-i Coupe 123k miles.

Vehicle
    89 Honda Accord Coupe

Quote Originally Posted by Civic Accord Honda View Post
    +1

d-series are known to handle boost very well shyboy.... go to d-series.org and study up
    lol my bad guess that guy can drive for shit lol fuck it im just saying what i heard haha

and nah im good on the study for d series dont intend to make a build of a d series but im not hating on it

Vehicle
    Honda Accord's EXi #1 [A20a4] R.I.P & #2 [B20a2]

I had one guy at school, with D16 in a civic, he stated he will be faster, and he was, untill I got in to 3rd gear. 1st and 2nd in our gear boxes are bust. the A20 is torq engine, and will pull off IRL conditions. on mountain roads for example.

It sounds a bit not fair but lets face it, I drive looong distances in my car, 600-700mil at the time and you know what? even all those modern cars gets lost in the corners, they cant maintain constant speed like light Accord dos.
    try your civic here

see that truck? I was able to play with hm, drive 4-5min ahead, stop, take pics untill he shows up, and drive some more, stop and do that all day long on 11% clime. even got past 2 cars on the way up, with 4 winter tires in the trunk and car full of things. and it pulls just nice.
    Last edited by Tomisimo; 04-27-2010 at 02:55 PM.

Its prttey fnuny how you can raed tihs eintre snetnece with all tehse ellters out of palce...

My Build Thread

Vehicle
    1981 Accord Hatchback, 1984 Accord Sedan

^ Oh man, I can drive on that road nao? Kthx!

Vehicle
    89 Honda Accord Coupe

ditto looks like a killer road but i wish my a20 wouldnt lose power up hill

Vehicle
    89 LX-i(5speed)

i dont have any stock a20s now... i like how much lighter the car feels with a beefed up engine...i need to tune my a20 for you guys to see how much power i can make.

1989 Honda Accord LX-i
    B18c1 swap since 7/2011
    175whp and 132tq
    Redzone tuned

Vehicle
    Honda Accord's EXi #1 [A20a4] R.I.P & #2 [B20a2]

Well, come over here and I will show you places where the drivers roads are
    I made a video on the way, where I drive 60-70mph on those roads downhill, but my resolution was on default settings so its not good, no sound. but but. next time.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shyboy88Lx-i
    ditto looks like a killer road but i wish my a20 wouldnt lose power up hill
    Change your oil, filter, spark plugs, wires, air filter, and wash on the inside, so the car feel happy. Jk. and take it out for a long drive, stay in high gear 3rd and 4th most of the time. keep it at constant speed 50-60mph in those gears. dont push your clutch in, just coast on dry downhill, using engine as a brake, let it breath. You'll get rid of all carbon your engine neglected in city driving, its suffocating I bet. you'll feel the difference, trust me.
    Last edited by Tomisimo; 04-28-2010 at 01:08 AM.

Its prttey fnuny how you can raed tihs eintre snetnece with all tehse ellters out of palce...

My Build Thread