Thread: 89 Accord not starting please help

DX User
    Vehicle
    1989 Honda Accord EXI

89 Accord not starting please help

Hi guys
    I have a 89 accord exi 2.0 l engine and manual trans. It is fuel injected. It has that clutch safety switch so that it has to be depressed to start. I checked the switch and decided to pull the wiring from the top to bypass. Am I correct in assuming this should make the car start without the clutch being pushed. Anyway it does not start battery is good am thinking of pulling the starter and bench testing it. Can someone tell me what is the best way to diagnose this issue. I also do not hear a click when I turn the key. Any and all help is greatly appreciated. Thanks

LXi User
    Vehicle
    88 LX-i coupe; 91 Accord LX sedan

Re: 89 Accord not starting please help

Bench testing the starter sounds like a good idea. Apparently, you're familiar with the procedure. But, if you'd like some info on the procedure, the second video at Bad Starter Symptoms: Why Won't My Car Start? might be helpful.

I replaced the starter in my '88 Accord earlier this year but I did not bench test my old starter; I've never done that procedure. Starter failure seemed to be the obvious problem in my no-crank, no-start situation and, as it turned out, that was correct. In my case, the only symptom I can recall of a starter issue developing was slow/draggy cranking for quite some time before the complete failure of the starter to turn. And, since I was pretty sure the battery was not the cause, I went ahead and replaced the battery and that was, indeed, the cause of the no-crank, no-start situation.
    1988 Accord LX-i 2-door coupe, 205K miles, updated 1/4/18.

Vehicle
    1989 Accord LX-i

Quote Originally Posted by Tylerzane View Post
    Am I correct in assuming this should make the car start without the clutch being pushed.
    I think you want to use a paperclip to jumper across the two wires in the terminal instead.
    Dr_Snooz

"I like to take hammers, and just break stuff, just break stuff." - Beavis

1989 Honda Accord LX-i Coupe, 240k miles, MT swap, rear disc swap

Shop manual downloads available here: CLICK TO VIEW

DX User
    Vehicle
    1989 Honda Accord EXI

Sorry do mean on the switch or the plug going to the switch

Vehicle
    1989 Accord LX-i

Plug going into the switch.
    Dr_Snooz

"I like to take hammers, and just break stuff, just break stuff." - Beavis

1989 Honda Accord LX-i Coupe, 240k miles, MT swap, rear disc swap

Shop manual downloads available here: CLICK TO VIEW

Vehicle
    88 LXi

Quote Originally Posted by Tylerzane View Post
    Hi guys
    I have a 89 accord exi 2.0 l engine and manual trans. It is fuel injected. It has that clutch safety switch so that it has to be depressed to start. I checked the switch and decided to pull the wiring from the top to bypass. Am I correct in assuming this should make the car start without the clutch being pushed. Anyway it does not start battery is good am thinking of pulling the starter and bench testing it. Can someone tell me what is the best way to diagnose this issue. I also do not hear a click when I turn the key. Any and all help is greatly appreciated. Thanks

If you dont hear any clicking when you turn the key I might think its the ignition switch it self. usually you wont see any dash lights if the switch is bad when you click it on.

With a 12v light tester you can check that small wire that goes to the starter sol. and see if it has power (lights) when you switch the key. Thats what engages the starter.
    1988 Lxi owner since August 1995
    336k miles running strong!
    Now running E85.

Oldblueaccord <<< MY YOUTUBE PAGE!

DX User
    Vehicle
    1989 Honda Accord EXI

Okay guys I have some more info. I finally had a helper tonight and I did a couple of tests. The battery is okay with 12.8 volts.
    I then used my multitester and checked the wire going to the solenoid I touched the negative terminal of the battery and the solenoid wire
    I had my helper put the ignition to start and hold it and the meter read no volts. I then jumpered across from where the the battery + cable attaches to
    the solenoid and left the ignition off the starter jumped to life. I must say that before I started the tests I reconnected the clutch safety switch. So some sites say
    it could be the ignition switch or the clutch safety switch but even when I had removed the plug from the clutch safety switch I could get it to start. Don't get that
    but anyways the car started tonight twice. It drives fine no stalling. To get it to start I had to pop the clutch by pressing it down and letting it snap back on its own
    then I pushed in the clutch and it started. Could it be a loose wire. All responses greatly appreciated and thanks again to all that have responded.