Thread: missing at startup

DX User
    Vehicle
    1988 Honda Accord LXI

missing at startup

My 88 LXi (fuel injected) misses when it starts up and smokes roll out from underneath the engine. But once it is driven for a minute it's fine until it's started up again. Does anybody know what's causing this?
    Thanks a lot.

Vehicle
    87 Accord EX , 5spd , Manual
    what did you change in your car ? ( tune up ? )

MIKE
    3geez member since October 4th 2001

DX User
    Vehicle
    1988 Honda Accord LXI
    Nothing. It just started up like that one day. wierd.

Vehicle
    86 2.0Si JDM DOHC Accord
    oil leak onto the exhaust???

DX User
    Vehicle
    1988 Honda Accord LXI
    OK, I did some more work on my car and the 3rd cylinder isn't firing. I replaced the spark plug and wire, and the distributor is fine. What else could it be? Thanks.

Do you know if spark is actually getting to the plug? If so, maybe that injector us sticking, something wrong with the resister, poor connection or some shit like that. When the car starts running ok, is the cyclinder firing? About the smoke, is your valve cover leakling oil?
    Steve

DX User
    when it is missfiring, pull plug three from the distrib and hold it near the distrib so it arcs. does the missfiring go away?
    WTB: 4th and 5th gen OEM headlights and corners in good shape. Even single lights.

1995 Honda Accord EX-R | 1988 Honda Accord EX-i | 1987 Honda Accord LX (R.I.P.)

DX User
    Vehicle
    1988 Honda Accord LXI
    I put in an injector from a another car about a week ago. And it also arcs to the wire when you pull it from the distributor. It'll stop missing after it runs for a while, even i fyou let it idle. This is really confusing me so I really apreciate any ideas.

Dude! Ya just shot me down cold! :lol I dunno, maybe pull the plug and see if it's gas or oil fouled? ( if engine is hot wait till it cools to remove the plug, don't want to strip the plug theads!) Maybe check valve adj. (change valve cover gasket too)? Compression test?
    I'm wondering whether this has anything to do with the engine temp going up and the ect leaning out the mixture, from the rich starting mode and that one just gets more gas than the others?? I'm really just guessing at this point, in case that isn't obvious! Hopefully, someone else will post some better ideas.
    Steve

DX User
    try swapping distribs with a fellow 3rd genner to see if that helps
    WTB: 4th and 5th gen OEM headlights and corners in good shape. Even single lights.

1995 Honda Accord EX-R | 1988 Honda Accord EX-i | 1987 Honda Accord LX (R.I.P.)

DX User
    Vehicle
    1988 Honda Accord LXI
    Thanks a lot for all the replies. Hopefully some of the suggestions will help my crazy machine.