Thread: Oil Leak

DX User
    Vehicle
    '86 Accord LX

Oil Leak

I've had an oil leak on my car for the six months since I've owned it, running or not, hot or cold. I gotta add about a litre every 2 weeks. Its not the valve cover, because I already changed that. 2 Days ago, I changed the oil, filter, and pan gasket. It still leaks about the same amount. When I took the pan off, I noticed that the dipstick actually sits much lower than the pan gasket, so I'm thinking it wasn't the pan gasket. The only other place I can think of is the filter gasket surface, since lots of oil sits in the filter. What do you guys think?
    James

'86 Accord LX 5spd > Bought for a hundred bucks.....Canadian. Leaks oil, has lots of rust, and is about 5 different shades of green.

Mods: True ram intake, K&N, vacuum line removal conversion, 14" aluminum wheels, $20 cd player, $20 speakers, dual barrel air horn.

Vehicle
    Previous: '89 Accord LXi hatch, '89 Accord LXi hatch, '86 Prelude Si
    Where is the oil under the car?
    Mike

DX User
    Vehicle
    '86 Accord LX
    It drips right from the drain plug, but I'm sure it's not leaking from there because there's oil all over the back of the pan, and I checked the drain plug out, and it looks fine. It's also plenty tight.
    James

'86 Accord LX 5spd > Bought for a hundred bucks.....Canadian. Leaks oil, has lots of rust, and is about 5 different shades of green.

Mods: True ram intake, K&N, vacuum line removal conversion, 14" aluminum wheels, $20 cd player, $20 speakers, dual barrel air horn.

Vehicle
    1988 Honda Accord DX Hatchbacik
    I have the same problem.

Vehicle
    2006 Chevy Cobalt LS
    head gasket... or the lower PCV boxes and hoses that plug into the block and oil pan.
    Last edited by A20A1; 06-30-2003 at 02:57 AM.
    - llia

DX User
    Vehicle
    '86 Accord LX
    I don't see how it could be the head gasket, because it leaks constantly, even after sitting for 2 days. Is there anywhere where the oil can collect at the top of the motor, other than the filter???
    James

Vehicle
    2006 Chevy Cobalt LS
    distributor o-ring
    - llia

Vehicle
    01 Civic lx auto; 03 Accord EX
    Originally posted by A20A1
    head gasket... or the lower PCV boxes and hoses that plug into the bock and oil pan.
    i was chaning oil yesterday, and i notticed that i have the same leak. i guess i will have to take the PCV boxes and clean them.
    Alex.

DX User
    Vehicle
    1986 Honda Accord LX
    I would try checking the following:

Your crank seal, replacing this requires you to take off the crank pully. About $6.00usd and 1hr of labor if you have air.

Your drivers side cv joint seal, that is located on the tranny, replacing this requires removal of cv joint. About $9.00usd and 1/2hr of labor.

Your passangers side cv joint seal, that is located on the tranny as well, replacing this requires removal of cv joint. About $11.00usd and 1/2hr of labor.

Now remember all of the time that is posted is based on your motivation. The time of labor can vary actually.
    "IF YOU CAN'T HANG WITH THE LEADERS, THAN JUST BE A FOLLOWER"

Dizzo7693

Vehicle
    Previous: '89 Accord LXi hatch, '89 Accord LXi hatch, '86 Prelude Si
    If you don't use a new aluminum crush washer after changing your oil the drain plug itself can leak. They're only $.20 at the dealer.
    Mike

Vehicle
    '73 Datsun 240Z/'91 300ZXTT
    If its leaking even when sitting then you should use an engine degreaser and thouroughly clean it up all on the underside, and then let it sit until it drips again so you can see clearly where it is coming from. just follow the trail of oil on the clean engine back up to it's source. That should make it easy to spot.
    KaMi's 1988 Honda Accord LX-I 5-Spd Hatch
    "Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak."

Vehicle
    1988 Honda Accord LX-i Turbo 2004 Acura TL 6 speed/navigation
    if its coming from the back of the engine, suspect either the oil filter housing thingy or the oil pressure sensor... they can leak badly and shower oil all down the block
    429whp 362wtq A20 TURBO. A20T>*

DX User
    Vehicle
    1988 Honda Accord
    I'd pay to see someone change the crank seal in 1 hr.

Vehicle
    95 Skivic
    it could also be your rear engine seal... i believe oil is leaking from mine and it seems to pool on the oil pan before driping

Vehicle
    1988 Honda Accord DX Hatchbacik
    I think mine is leaking from the pcv valve box thiny majiger duhiky? I just changed all my gaskets about a month ago during the swap.....that's the only thing I can think of.