Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: "Crack" Sound When Applying or Releasing Brakes

"Crack" Sound When Applying or Releasing Brakes

I have been putting up with a sound from the right front for quite a while now. I don't hear it unless the window is down so it hasn't been too hard to live with. Anyway, I figured that it would go away after I replaced the axle shafts as they were original.

I hear this sound (sounds like a "crack") whenever I apply the brakes or release them. It comes from the area of the right front wheel. The following are all in good shape: brakes, axle shaft, ball joints, strut. A good Honda mechanic told me that the sound was probably being caused by worn out "torsion bar bushings." I would call them "anti-roll bar bushings." Anyway, they were only $2 each and took very little time to replace. They were not in good shape, but the new ones did not help the problem. It does not seem to affect the way the car drives, though it is a little embarrasing to me because people outside the car can hear it.

Anyone else have this problem and solved it?

Thanks!

I have a similar situation. When slamming on the brakes, or sudden jolt at low speeds, I hear a creak. Mechanic told me it was something inside my car, like a door panel moving.

I just live with it.

Vehicle
    2006 Honda Civic LX
    my car would make a clunk sound sometimes when braking, but also if I accelerated too, ended up being a bad tie rod end. I don't know if thats what it is though. Try shaking the wheel and see if there is any play in it.

tim

Tie rod end? I bet that's my problem. Mine are loose and the steering wheel shakes.

Well my problem is solved.

Vehicle
    86 LXi Hatch
    i had that same problem with my old toyota wagon. Sometimes it would be pretty loud, and sometimes it wouldn't do it at all. i just ignored it.
    Nothin' 2 Old Racing

Vehicle
    '86 LX-i Hatch
    Could be ball joints or tie rod ends.
    Quote Originally Posted by kroy
    Mad props to you if you can pull it off, you can change your name to slowassoldschoolswap :thumbdown

Vehicle
    2006 Honda Civic LX
    when my tie rod end was shot you could actually shake the wheel. If you grabbed the top of the tire, and shook it it would move back and forth a little. I got it fixed, cause I didn't think it was too safe lol.

Vehicle
    '86 LX-i Hatch
    plus they're really cheap. THey're like $12 each at Autozone
    Mad props to you if you can pull it off, you can change your name to slowassoldschoolswap :thumbdown

I got quoted 600 to get them fixed.

I'd do it myself, but I have NO idea how to do something like that.

Vehicle
    '86 LX-i Hatch
    Tie rod ends? They're insanley easy. All you need is a pickle fork and the appropriate wrenches. Takes like 10 minutes per side to fix. Maybe you're thinking upper & lower ball joints? Those can get pricey and labor intensive. BTW the ball joints pop when you hit the brakes too.

He told me the inner tie rod ends were loose and said it required taking out the whole steering column or some shit.

Vehicle
    '86 LX-i Hatch
    Ohhhh inner. My bad. Yeah, those are expensive. I didn't know the steering column had to come out to replace them though. I'd check w/ Jim or someone to double check. For some reason I assumed you were talking about the outer ones. Sorry.

I think in my case it has nothing to do with the steering. The whole rack was replaced just two months ago. The rack does not include tie rod ends, but mine were fine to reuse as they had no play in them at all. Since the sound is exactly the same (no better, no worse) as before the rack and axles were replaced I have to think it is something else.

The car rides fine down the highway. Alignment is perfect (done right after the rack), no shimmy, shake, or vibration. I took apart the brakes to resurface the rotors (no more pulsation) and cleaned and lubed the caliper pins. So, the calipers are not sticking.

I guess I can live with it.

My fault, I didn't know there was a difference. This is all a new ballgame to me.

But the balljoints have been replaced (lowers) and the uppers are fine. Axles are new too. The steering wheel was shimmying between shifting, now it isn't since the lower bj's were done. I took it back since it was still shaking at highway speeds and crap, he says its the inner tie rod ends.

Not sure it's worth the 600 to get them fixed

Sorry to hijack your thread.

Vehicle
    2006 Honda Civic LX
    Originally posted by GhettoAccord

Sorry to hijack your thread.
    Well, if one of them snaps, your wheel will just turn out. Happened to my brother the other day. one wheel looked normal, and one faced the other direction. really weird looking.

Vehicle
    87 Accord LX
    Might be the radius-bar bushing.
    Rooz
    That's my other "car" on the avatar, my Dash-8

I don't know where you have been going, but I paid about $550 installed for my new rack. This was a reman. that came from a California rebuilder preferred by my Honda shop. It is of much better quality than what you would get at Auto Zone for $100.

Anyway, the "inner tie rods" are part of the rack assembly. About all it didn't come with is the tie rod ends.

Might be the radius-bar bushing.
    I'll look at that. I would be surprised because they should have caught that when doing the alignment. I would think if those were bad that the car would not hold the toes adjustment very well.

I read somewhere else that the cracking noise can also be from "crossmember to body" bolts. I am not sure which bolts they mean, to tell the truth. The procedure is to remove the bolts and put flat washer under them before putting them back.

Sounds easy enough if I could figure out which bolts they are! At least it would be much time and expense to try this.

Vehicle
    '86 LX-i Hatch
    I need a new rack. A seal on the pass. side is leaking and the boot is broken. Probably hit something. You seriously paid $550 for a new rack? Was that installed? I know of some good rebuilders here in Hou that do axles and racks and they charge around $200 for a fully rebuilt rack like you're talking about.

There's a place here who does rack and pinion. Think that's what I need? I know the guy who works there and I'm sure I could get a deal.

The price I paid included the installation. I decided to take it easy and have it done by somebody with a lift! The cost of the rack itself was just under $300.

Like I said, there are many "grades" of rebuilt parts. This happens to be one of the better ones. If I were doing it myself I would have just ordered one from Manchester or Majestic. More money, but at least you know you will not have to do the job again!

Vehicle
    '86 LX-i Hatch
    good point

There's a place here who does rack and pinion. Think that's what I need? I know the guy who works there and I'm sure I could get a deal.
    That just doesn't make sense to me. If your P/S rack boots have been torn for a while you could have worn out the ball and socket joint that connects the inner and outer tie rods. You could also be leaking at either the inner tie rod seals or somewhere from the gear box - are you? As far as just saying "the inner tie rods are worn out" it just doesn't sound right.

I had to replace my rack because a two year slow leak finally turned into the P/S puking all its fluid on the floor in the garage. There is really no sense in trying to replace tie rod seals or messing with the inner tie rods themselves. If it's actually the steering parts you migh as well go with a new rack. I am told to avoid "sleeved" racks. This is a cheap method of rebuilding that allows the rebuilder to use sub par racks. A good rebuilder has to throw more cores away because he will not "sleeve" them.

Hey! What about the torque rod? That funny looking upper thing that connects the engine to the firewall with rubber bushings in either end. It seems like my car "clunks" pretty bad into reverse, too. The lower motor mounts are good as I replaced them just a few years ago, but I was wondering if maybe the torque rod bushings could be the source of the cracking sound.

LX User
    Vehicle
    89 Accord LX-i
    ...if you are using metallic brake pads, they tend to "weld" themselves to the rotors...nuthin serious...have a look at your calipers, and make sure all the spring stuff is all there, and not worn out...if this is the case, the brake pads tend to 'walk' with the rotors (everytime you use the brakes)...from reading all the posts, my $.02 sez it's an annoying brake problem...but not a safety issue...Good Luck !!
    My other Honda has 2 more cylinders, and 2 less wheels.