Thread: lowing car for $215.00

Vehicle
    '86 Accord LX - Black

lowing car for $215.00

i went to a local performance shop, Autolink, and they said they would lower my 86 accord, for $215. that includes the "springs, labor... everything." thats what the guy told me. Is that a good deal? Do I need to ask if there is anything else I'll need to lower my car? coilovers? struts? shocks?
    H4 Headlight Housing
    6000k HID Conversion Kit
    Strobe Light Kit in City Light Housing
    Clear Corner Signal Lamps
    Tinted Bumper Signal Lamps
    Hyper-White Reverse Lamps

DX User
    Vehicle
    1989 Honda Accord HB DX
    I consider that an average price. But if you want to be thorough, what springs are being offered? What are the separate prices for the springs and labor. Maybe you can buy the springs there and have the labor done somewhere else for less or vise versa.

If your having suspension work done maybe you can spend a some more to replace the shocks and bushings. If you have it done all at once you should save on labor since it's being done all at one time.

Ever consider doing it yourself? I'm sure you can get enough advice on this board for help.

Just a thought.

3Geez Veteran
    Vehicle
    86 Honda Accord LXI HB 5-sp

Re: lowing car for $215.00

Originally posted by hondaaccord_86
    i went to a local performance shop, Autolink, and they said they would lower my 86 accord, for $215. that includes the "springs, labor... everything." thats what the guy told me. Is that a good deal? Do I need to ask if there is anything else I'll need to lower my car? coilovers? struts? shocks?
    Oh yes, you'll need some firmer performance struts. All lowering springs are stiffer, you need to install struts that are likewise firmer. Consider tokico H.P.'s are the uneasy starting point, since several members have mentioned that they are on the soft side in the front. But they are cheap at $235 from shox.com A much better choice, though expensive are Koni specials $424, also from shox.com

Since their really isn't such a thing a springs cheaper than $100, likely the shop is charging you $115 for labor. Install the springs yourself and use your savings to install the struts you really need to go with them. Example, 2" suspension techniques speed tech springs from www.fastfours.com for only $97 and if you can't afford the koni struts, add $235 for the Tokico's = $332 Its really not that hard to install them yourself, just buy yourself a spring compressor and use the how to thats on this board.
    H&R springs revalved Bilstein front struts, koni struts in the rear 195/55-15 Dunlop W-10's Dc Sports header custom cat-back with Dynomax super turbo w/3" Brembo slotted & dimpled rotor's EBC pads
    Well, that's what I used to have, wrecked, 7/3/02.

Now I d

that guy is probably just swapping your springs for that much money. get struts!
    Eric
    3geez member since October 12, 2000
    "All this worldly wisdom was once the unamiable heresy of some wise man." - Henry David Thoreau

Vehicle
    87 3G RIP, 95 KA7, 95 5G Coupe
    man you gotta break bread if you wanna be slammed....

Vehicle
    '92 Toyota Paseo
    Geez jigga, always with the ebonics! j/k

How much are spring compressors and can you get them from like a Napa Store?

Vehicle
    85 Suburban, 86 Accord EX-i, 89 Accord SE-i, 90 Accord EX-R,
    I got my spring compressors made by JET tools (they also make impact sockets and stuff) for $40 CAD (so about $25 US).
    www.b20accord.com

Vehicle
    '92 Toyota Paseo
    You can work the spring compressor by hand, right? I don't need to have an air compressor, right?

3Geez Veteran
    Vehicle
    86 Honda Accord LXI HB 5-sp
    Yeah you can work them by hand. But because the threads are really close together you'll be turning that wrench for what seems like f-o-r-e-v-e-r.