Thread: Turbo manifold gasket material

SEi User
    Vehicle
    87 hatch, stock sleeve b series gsr clone..

Turbo manifold gasket material

I just blew one of the gaskets between the head and my turbo header, (I just heat wrapped it, coincidence or not, hmm... I will try to post some pictures of this too). I was wondering if anyone has any ideas about a better material to use for this application. I was thinking about cutting out some soft copper gaskets, and then I remembered that I had read somewhere that high temp silicone can be used, is this true?
    thanks

SEi User
    Vehicle
    burgundy 86 honda accord/ brown 89 chevy caprice wagon
    Quote Originally Posted by Accordtheory
    I just blew one of the gaskets between the head and my turbo header, (I just heat wrapped it, coincidence or not, hmm... I will try to post some pictures of this too). I was wondering if anyone has any ideas about a better material to use for this application. I was thinking about cutting out some soft copper gaskets, and then I remembered that I had read somewhere that high temp silicone can be used, is this true?
    thanks
    Why did you heat wrap it ? The extra heat cuased the flange to grow and twist. your only chance to save the header now is to have it milled. or the other side of the over heating thing happened. the studs becuase of the extra growth have decided to pull thread out of the head. its a 8mm x1.5 pitch jic. As for the gasket well ive been running grpahoils for over a yr now with no problems. and the stock gasket is a graphoil.

You can use high temp copper silicone but better to fix the problem with the heat warpage and unwrap that poor header. I hope its sitanless right ? if not get it coated.
    Want your A series to kick a B series engines ass?email me for detials or check out our site

WWW.ACCORDCENTRAL.COM

SEi User
    Vehicle
    87 hatch, stock sleeve b series gsr clone..
    no, it didn't warp, I'm just a dumbass and broke a stud, and was too lazy to fix it, and after a while it started leaking. Also, the runners are long enough and the way it is conmstructed gives the manifold some flex, I could probably use gaskets of different thicknesses and it would still seal. The reason I heat wrapped the manifold is that it adds a massive amount of heat to the engine compartment, and without it and the piece of reflective aluminum I have above it, I could probably fry eggs on the hood of my car. High temp copper silicone, huh? I will have to check it out.

SEi User
    Vehicle
    burgundy 86 honda accord/ brown 89 chevy caprice wagon
    Quote Originally Posted by Accordtheory
    no, it didn't warp, I'm just a dumbass and broke a stud, and was too lazy to fix it, and after a while it started leaking. Also, the runners are long enough and the way it is conmstructed gives the manifold some flex, I could probably use gaskets of different thicknesses and it would still seal. The reason I heat wrapped the manifold is that it adds a massive amount of heat to the engine compartment, and without it and the piece of reflective aluminum I have above it, I could probably fry eggs on the hood of my car. High temp copper silicone, huh? I will have to check it out.
    whats the header constructed out of ?? it would be wise to get it thermally coated. it will improve spool up and turbo efficency also it will drop those underhood temps. if you didnt build your header out of stianless then im sure youll also have the accompanying carbon creeping and leaching problem which will lead to crack. might be a good idea as well to consider drilling the holes for the studs up a size or so. having a little bit of room for the flange to grow around the studs will help kepp the problem from occuring again.
    Want your A series to kick a B series engines ass?email me for detials or check out our site

WWW.ACCORDCENTRAL.COM