Thread: radiator help!!!!

DX User
    Vehicle
    1989 Honda Accord Lxi

radiator help!!!!

Yet another problem has started with my 3gee. Now my radiator fluid goes somewhere but i dont' know where. There are no signs of leaks in the engine bay anywhere and there has never been puddles or anything under my car. I have to refill the radiator about every 5-6 days because there is no longer any more fluid visible when you remove the cap on the radiator. I've also put radiator stop leak stuff in it a couple of times but that doesn't seem to do anything. If you guys have any ideas of what's going on please let me know. Thanks
    Scott

Vehicle
    Previous: '89 Accord LXi hatch, '89 Accord LXi hatch, '86 Prelude Si
    The leak might be happening only when the system is hot and under pressure. The coolant leaks as vapor if that's the case (no puddles). Some coolants (like Prestone) have dyes added so the vapor shows up in black light. Of course you shouldn't bother with the black light until you've checked all you hoses, clamps, bleeder bolt, etc.

SEi User
    Vehicle
    81 HB LX, 84 HB S, 89 LX-i Coupe
    I hope it isn't going in the crankcase... Your car is running cool and you don't have white smoke coming out the back, do you??

SEi User
    Vehicle
    88 lxi coupe
    check your coolant hoses while the engine is running..just pinch on them and see if u can find the leak

DX User
    Vehicle
    1989 Honda Accord Lxi
    Thanks, i'll try checking all that stuff tomorrow, and i'm pretty sure white smoke is not coming out of my muffler. I use the prestone stuff so maybe i'll try that black light too.
    Scott

Vehicle
    2006 Chevy Cobalt LS
    check the water pump and check the overflow tank for leaks...

also there is sometimes corosion right around the base of the radiator cap, and it will leak out coolant and water as vapor.
    if you run the engine and you wait for the cooling fan to come on you can sometimes hear is hissing.
    - llia

Vehicle
    01 Civic lx auto; 03 Accord EX
    well, you can run the car, while you checking this way the pressure will build up in the system and if there is a like in a hose you should be able to see or hear it.
    Alex.

LX User
    Vehicle
    88 LX(x3)87LX(x1)86LXi(x1)

geeze...just do a pressure test

get a pressure tester...run the engine with the cap off until the fans go on..shut the engine..attach the pump..inflate radiator to manual specified pressure ( i'm not sure..and a mistake can cost you a radiator )..if the pressure holds..might be a slight head gasket leak into the engine ( sealer "should" handle that), but I'm sure you'll find the drip. You didn't say how much you had to add to top it up..but even a very small drip, say onto the exhaust pipe..might go undetected...put a container under a faucet that has even the smallest drip...and you're looking at a problem..

A common drip point on carbed 3g's is the carb heater hose ( runs under the intake) ..best to inspect it from underneath...removing the oil filter makes that easy.