Thread: Messing with the TurboAccord

Vehicle
    1988 Honda Accord LX-i Turbo 2004 Acura TL 6 speed/navigation

Messing with the TurboAccord

Well i got my BIGASS YELLOW ACCEL coil installed along with the boost timing master and everything seems to be running ok... i think my turbo is shot, i fixed my kinked oil return and she still smokes to kingdom come. Anyway, i was sitting there letting her idle tonight and wonder if the smoking problem was going away so (fixed the kinked oil return.. helps a little) so i turned her off and let her sit like 2 sec then restart (cranks slowly but starts) starts missing then knocking very badly then it dies with a loud pop (almost sounded like i broke somthing...) with nice amounts of smoke everywhere... so im like WTF? and try to restart...
    cranking...no start... cranking no start.... eventually she restarts and runs ok so wtf do you guys think happend? She ran fine the whole time when i was out tooling around for like 20 min...
    429whp 362wtq A20 TURBO. A20T>*

SEi User
    Vehicle
    87 hatch, stock sleeve b series gsr clone..
    I don't know..I might have been able to tell you if I was there. The pop was probably your shit backfiring burning the oil vapor in the exhaust. Have you inspected your turbo for bearing shaft play? I'm guessing you will find some, and also oil in both sides, the compressor and exhaust. If I were you, I would buy a NEW turbo off ebay. I could have bought mine from there and saved about $200. (I paid around $725) I would never buy a turbo used, unless I had specific info about it, like I knew the car, and got to inspect it thoroughly. Every used turbo I have seen has had some damage, although it is totally possible for a turbo to last for like over 200k. The lamest turbo damage I have seen was on an audi 1.8t. The wastegate flapper valve decided to exit the vehicle via the tailpipe, knocking a nice little hole through the center of the cat! I welded on the head of an integra exhaust valve to make the new flapper valve, and save the dude like $800

Vehicle
    18 yr old Prelude, the one with the pop up headlamps. B20 (prototype for the 3g Prelude) ...but in the lighter car, with big brakes
    U running retarded enough? whats yer plugs say?

Vehicle
    A20A3T
    I have the BTM.And it is a headache to get running right.I had it running got to the track shut the car off and it would not start again.So I un hooked it and it ran fine.And if it's knocking before you in any psi.You have some other issue's.Nothing to do with the turbo.
    Stop bench racing and pick up a wrench

I know my spelling sucks and I suck with computers deal with it.

Vehicle
    A20A3T
    I just read your post again.And are you sure that your coil isnt made for a carbed car?If so the spark will be wrong for you.
    Stop bench racing and pick up a wrench

I know my spelling sucks and I suck with computers deal with it.

Vehicle
    yeah i know the turbo is bad... i installed the new clutch today but my wastegate sucks ass so i boost to 3-5 psi in 1st, 5psi in 2nd... and 7-9 psi in 3rd... it spools slow but im having a problem when it gets into about 7psi... then it starts missing... im running hella rich... -33% high throttle across the board... hmm imma have to look at this coil

Vehicle
    1986 Prelude 2.0si turbo - 1990 Integra moutain carver - 1993 Nissan 300ZXTT w/ more power than god
    YOu may be running too much ignition retard. Since your turbo is blowing oil, it is also possible it is lowering the octane level on your engine by coating the pistons with oil. Lower octane = detonation.

First, you need a new turbo, obviously. After that, before you start the car again, set the fuel cut back to a little above stock, but all the same until about 4500 rpm, then bring it up about 5% mroe above that. Try to tune the engine from there.

I would also recommend you think about investing in a wideband o2 sensor - it is a godsend.

Vehicle
    well the turbo is blowing oil out of the turbine not the compressor... Im running about .5degree/lb boost retard... thats not alot. Im gonna have to lower the fuel a little bit. I was drivin her home... she was running fast as shit tonight and i was at like 5-6 psi and she just died... nothing happend she just died. I think its a distributor problem or ignition, not mechanical or anything

Vehicle
    maybe ill go over my wiring for the boost timing master... do you guys have a schmatic for it? I lost mine somewhere in the box for the boost controller ( )