Thread: Axle-Tranny problems

Vehicle
    86' Accord Lxi, 79' TR7, 73' VW bus, 03' WRX

Exclamation Axle-Tranny problems

On the 29th I broke my front engine mount (the one right in front of the radiator) I had it towed into the shop the next day and had the engine mount replaced. I also had them replace the right axle since its had been making some noise.
    Today I picked up my car and drove it home. Right before I got home I started smelling tranny fluid while going through some curves. When I got home (1/4 mile) I saw a large stream or tranny fluid pouring. It looks like the LEFT axle has come out of the transmission about 3/16."
    Do you think that this is from the work on the right axle or the engine mount breaking? It was not leaking when I had the car taken in and I had a complete inspection done before they did any work.

Vehicle
    1992 Acura Integra
    do you mean that the inner joint is 3/16 away from the tranny if so that is normal, did your tranny fluid bolt come loose, and maybe pour out of there¿ There could alos be a broke seal on the inside of the tranny where the axles snapp into.
    "Popup headlights the pinnacle of 80's technology"
    Ram air intake bored out throttle body MSD Blaster coil Advanced ignition Ported Head with 3angle valve job and shaved Delta 260 cam Pacesetter header 2.25inch exhaust Mallory Hyfire 6

LX User
    Vehicle
    1987 ACCORD LX
    u have a auto trany the cv joint thay put in is from a 5 spd and the longer inershaft pusht out ur left cv i got cvs off e bay turns out thay wer foe a 5 spd cause i had a same problem while i put one on in the other side came out go to the shop damand that thay tow the car back and have them put a auto cv in insted of a 5spd

Vehicle
    I do have a 5 speed not an auto, but is's not the orignag tranny. This one is less than a month old, completly rebuilt out of a 87' Lxi.
    The left spline is defenitly out about 3/16 farther than it has been, you can see the line where it had been sealed. I have the car up on stands so I can see everything fairly well. Did the shafts change for the 87' at all?
    also.. my house is about 65 miles from the shop, it only started to leak after I went through a series of tight curves right before my house.
    Last edited by SavageG; 10-02-2004 at 09:03 PM.

Vehicle
    '95 Supra, '08 CBR 600RR, '89 LX-i Coupe (R.I.P.), '88 LX-i Sedan (R.I.P.), '87 LX-i Sedan (R.I.P.)
    just push it back in. worse comes to worse, it may need a new spring-clip thingy(whatever the technical name may be) on the end. but you should be fine just pushing it back in.

*edit: make sure you refill it with fluid before you go anywhere though
    Greg

1989 LX-i 2dr 5spd (R.I.P.)

2008 CBR 600RR -- 1995 Toyota Supra NA -- 2013 Nissan Frontier Pro-4x

2.0Si User
    Vehicle
    1988 Accord DX
    I'm pretty sure the technical name your looking for is called a "snap ring". It slides in a groove on the shaft and takes a special tool to remove it. I'm not a tranny tech, but work on cars ALOT.
    Last edited by 88Accord-DX; 10-03-2004 at 12:12 AM.

Vehicle
    I tried puting the axle back in place this morning, but it won't move in or out at all. I am going to take it back to the shop on a trailer today, hopefully they won't bitch to much about fixing it.

Vehicle
    1986 honda accord lx (r.i.p) 1990 acura legend LS
    it's under what you asked them to work on so it should'nt be no problem . . . . .
    ****** 1994 nissan maxima SE ******

Vehicle
    03 Accord V6, 98 and 99 Odyssey, 99 Blazer
    I can't believe that if they took it on a test drive they didn't see any leakage after parking it. You can't just push it back on though, u need to pull it out a bit and pop it in. Could be the snap ring.

Vehicle

Talking

Fixed!! The damn thing is back together. I had to pull the whole axle out before it would go back in Anyway, I still don't know why it wouldn't seat before but it went in fine after I cleaned it up and greased it again. Remember!! Firestone not only has bad tires but bad mechanics too!

Vehicle
    03 Accord V6, 98 and 99 Odyssey, 99 Blazer
    I figured that's what you were going to have to do. Glad you got it fixed.