Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: can we use premade turbo manifolds?

SEi User
    Vehicle
    1986 Honda Accord POS tranny

can we use premade turbo manifolds?

i know that we can do a little fabrication to make a B16 intake manifold fit our accords, but is there any way to get a premade turbo manifold to work like that for our cars?

Vehicle
    2002 Mazda Protege5

Re: can we use premade turbo manifolds?

Yes, buy one for an A20. A few companies make one.
    No projects. Life consumes my time and money.

Vehicle
    2006 Chevy Cobalt LS

The closest non A series manifold would be the F23 or 1994 F22 because of the port spacing, the earlier F22 has equal spacing and will not work.

But we do have turbo manifolds made for the A20, and some are tube manifolds instead of log type.
    Last edited by A20A1; 11-20-2005 at 07:42 PM.

Vehicle
    1988 Honda Accord LX-i Turbo 2004 Acura TL 6 speed/navigation

your best off buying the flanges and building one to suit your needs and application, or having someone make you a quality one. A number of members on here have made their own with good results.
    429whp 362wtq A20 TURBO. A20T>*

Vehicle
    1986 Honda Prelude 2.0Si-T

But we do have turbo manifolds made for the A20, and some are tube manifolds instead of long type.
    can you post the links to all of the places that make manifols for our cars, ive only heard of one place....
    -Gio
    My E85 Turbo Build
    5280FEST

Vehicle
    Stock 86 Accord LXi Hatch

www.homemadeturbo.com

aaron wier will make you one. BMC racing might too... and good old hotcheeks mihgt, but i dont think he has made an a20 manifold before

SEi User
    Vehicle

Quote Originally Posted by AccordEpicenter
    your best off buying the flanges and building one to suit your needs and application, or having someone make you a quality one. A number of members on here have made their own with good results.
    is there a how-to on how to make my own turbo manifold? im very interested in making my own as ill be saving some money as well(which at 17, i must save every bit i can). just curious, would we be using an arc welder or the old fashion flame to put our stuff together?

Vehicle

mig or tig welded is ideal

Vehicle

which do you guys will hold up better mig or tig, im new when it comes to welding so i dont know
    -Gio
    My E85 Turbo Build
    5280FEST

Vehicle
    2006 Chevy Cobalt LS

tig will usually have nicer welds but both will be strong if done right.

Vehicle
    2006 Chevy Cobalt LS

Quote Originally Posted by newaccorddriver
    is there a how-to on how to make my own turbo manifold? im very interested in making my own as ill be saving some money as well(which at 17, i must save every bit i can). just curious, would we be using an arc welder or the old fashion flame to put our stuff together?

There are plenty, PLENTY of links on how to make your own manifold in the turbo FAQ
    https://www.3geez.com/showthread.php?t=37169

SEi User
    Vehicle

Quote Originally Posted by A20A1
    There are plenty, PLENTY of links on how to make your own manifold in the turbo FAQ
    https://www.3geez.com/showthread.php?t=37169
    thanks, i never saw this particular turbo faq post yet

Vehicle

wich one is the easiest to use, tig or mig, ive tried mig before but only once and i was really bad at it, also which one is cheaper
    -Gio
    My E85 Turbo Build
    5280FEST

SEi User
    Vehicle

Quote Originally Posted by A20A1
    tig will usually have nicer welds but both will be strong if done right.

well, i have a little problem, im not sure i can afford a mig or tig welder... will any of the cheapest welders from the site below do the job?

http://www.canadiantire.ca/assortmen...08474396669869

not completely sure what the difference between arc welders tigs or migs are, so if you can clarify this stuff for me, please do so

Vehicle
    2002 Mazda Protege5

Quote Originally Posted by newaccorddriver
    well, i have a little problem, im not sure i can afford a mig or tig welder... will any of the cheapest welders from the site below do the job?
    http://www.canadiantire.ca/assortmen...08474396669869
    not completely sure what the difference between arc welders tigs or migs are, so if you can clarify this stuff for me, please do so
    Just buy a manifold. It will be a lot easier for you.

Vehicle
    86 Accord LX-i HB (traded). Now 96 Civic EX coupe

Tig can be very difficult to actually make it nice, we can make custom manifolds at my work, but they charge like 600 bucks for them due to how much time they spend on them.

Mig welding is by far the easiest, and it is less sloppy if you aren't really really good at welding.

Arc welding is fairly difficult, you have to feed the stick with your hand, and it's pretty easy to burn a whole through the piece of metal you are welding.

Also, you can weld stainless steel to stainless steel, and plain steel to steel. it is very difficult to weld different types of metal together and get it right, so watch your materials.

03 Nissan Maxima 6spd 3.5L -- Daily Driver
    96 Civic Ex-T 210whp/183wtq @ 9.5 psi tuned on Hondata s300 -- Now at 12psi, unknown power
    04 CBR600RR - Sold, and now wrecked. RIP

sory, but what does b16 inake manifold better for our cars? i don't hnow yet

Vehicle

this thread has nothing to do with b16 manifolds.

but, it has shorter, larger runners, and a design to accomodate more top end flow. it will probably hurt low end, but help your upper end powerband. there is probably a lot of engineering that goes into exactly why it does what it does, but the bottom line is, it will make more power than a a20 manifold

Vehicle
    1987 Ex-i 89 SE-i

im thinking that if your asking all these questions about welders and welding i dont think you should be building your own manifold, just buy one, your gonna spend more money and time on buying a welder, learning how to weld, buying scrap pieces of metal to practice your welding on, so on and so forth, just buy a manifold, it will save you so much more time and money cause by the sounds of it you really dont know what your doing and i think you will go through with everything build it all up go for a drive and the manifold is gonna crap out cause you cant weld proberly. sorry to sound like a dick or whatever im just being truthfull here, if you think your gonna be using the welder lots and your gonna like welding then go for it , it might pay off for you but by the sounds of it i think your just gonna be spending money you shouldnt.
    -Who needs horse power when you got icy roads and bald tires

-To drift a car is to create reckless art

Vehicle
    1988 Honda Accord LX-i Turbo 2004 Acura TL 6 speed/navigation

Borrow the welder, read up on what your doing, take your time etc, practice. Knowing that no one in the world had another manifold like yours: Priceless. But seriously, it was one of the harder parts to make and it break if you do it wrong, but if you do it right, and weld correctly and use good flanges and design well, you can be way ahead in the wallet department. I made mine for under $100, but it took a bit of time. Sure beats paying $500-$1000 for somebody to make them. I have no idea where the faqs were for diy manifolds, check Homemadeturbo.com
    429whp 362wtq A20 TURBO. A20T>*

LXi User

Quote Originally Posted by b8er
    im thinking that if your asking all these questions about welders and welding i dont think you should be building your own manifold, just buy one, your gonna spend more money and time on buying a welder, learning how to weld, buying scrap pieces of metal to practice your welding on, so on and so forth, just buy a manifold, it will save you so much more time and money cause by the sounds of it you really dont know what your doing and i think you will go through with everything build it all up go for a drive and the manifold is gonna crap out cause you cant weld proberly. sorry to sound like a dick or whatever im just being truthfull here, if you think your gonna be using the welder lots and your gonna like welding then go for it , it might pay off for you but by the sounds of it i think your just gonna be spending money you shouldnt.
    Listen to this guy! If you honestly don't know the difference between MIG, TIG, and ARC, as well as Oxy-Ace then you honestly shouldn't mess with it, unless you just are wanting to learn how to weld. And in that case buy a little MIG welder w/ flux inside so you don't have to refill your co2*it is c02 right? I can't remember* tanks but, before attempting any type of mechanical part i.e. a manifold just get a bunch of scrap metal and weld it togeather. Butt welds, 90 degree butt welds, angle welds, and all that jazz. It's a lot of fun and was quite enjoyable for me when I learned it and you might find the same but, if the only reason you're doing it is to save money then just get one made. Just my .02c
    For Sale:
    T3/T4 Turbo, wastegate, and BOV
    P75 ECU
    Untouched Head

Port & Polished, 5-angle valve job, bowl and swirl job, Head -$1000 invested in machining alone

Misc.
    DDR Pad and DDR Extreme
    PS1
    NES
    Needed:
    Dremel
    Money

Vehicle
    1987 Ex-i 89 SE-i

thanks there wootwoot, now i hope i didnt come off as to much of an ass there im not trying to discourage you from learning how to weld cause its an awsome skill to learn and can save you alot of money or stuff but you should really do some reseaching on the web or go buy a welding book before you just sit down and start welding, best advice is to just weld and weld and weld scrap pieces of metal together at differnt angles and try square tubing and round tubing and all of it before you start to make a mani cause i would hate to see if blow up on you once its in the car
    -Who needs horse power when you got icy roads and bald tires

-To drift a car is to create reckless art

SEi User
    Vehicle

Quote Originally Posted by b8er
    thanks there wootwoot, now i hope i didnt come off as to much of an ass there im not trying to discourage you from learning how to weld cause its an awsome skill to learn and can save you alot of money or stuff but you should really do some reseaching on the web or go buy a welding book before you just sit down and start welding, best advice is to just weld and weld and weld scrap pieces of metal together at differnt angles and try square tubing and round tubing and all of it before you start to make a mani cause i would hate to see if blow up on you once its in the car
    i didnt think you came off as an ass. not at all, you were just pointing me in a direction that would potentially save me money. id like to learn how to weld at some point within my life though so i can fix the rust hole in my car. being only 17 i dont have much money, so i cant really afford to pay $1000(i was quoted this amount) on a manifold... so i figured if i can save a bit of money and make it myself, it might turn out alright. the only thing im wondering about right now is how those welds actually hold themselves together, i might buy an arc welder from home depot or somewhere and weld scrap metal together, then try and snap them apart(not sure if its valid, but its to see how strong its welded together)

SEi User
    Vehicle

Quote Originally Posted by AccordEpicenter
    Borrow the welder, read up on what your doing, take your time etc, practice. Knowing that no one in the world had another manifold like yours: Priceless. But seriously, it was one of the harder parts to make and it break if you do it wrong, but if you do it right, and weld correctly and use good flanges and design well, you can be way ahead in the wallet department. I made mine for under $100, but it took a bit of time. Sure beats paying $500-$1000 for somebody to make them. I have no idea where the faqs were for diy manifolds, check Homemadeturbo.com

i wasnt aware there was a 'correct' way to weld, i figured it would have been something like welding from one side to the other side sorta thing. might have to go buy a book on welding now...

Vehicle
    2002 Mazda Protege5

If you're 17 and have no money, don't turbo your car.