Thread: question on door speakers

Vehicle
    SE-i Sedan 5 spd

question on door speakers

A couple of years ago, I replaced the door speakers in my SE-i. The Bose speakers were proprietary, so I had to do some surgery on the mounts. I noticed that the enclosures were sealed in the back, which I ruined when I cut them to accept the Infinity's. Recently, a guy in a stereo shop said that the enclosures not being sealed in the back were messing up my sound. I can't tell, but I guess I wouldn't have heard anything better, as the original speakers were shot when I got the car. It would be a bit of a pain to rig up something to go behind the speakers, but I would do it if there would be a good improvement. Anyone have any experience with this? Thx.

Vehicle
    88 lx sedan (R.I.P.) / 89 LX sedan(sold) / 89 lxi parts car(towed away) / 87 lxi hatch

Re: question on door speakers

i dont think so i cut the stock mounts on my lx for my polk db's and they sound great

the bose are alwas sealed in with a box the infinitys will be ok free air like that

Vehicle
    1989 Honda Accord Lxi Coupe

yeah if you really are concerned with how it sounds, i say just add some dynomat behind the speaker on your door's sheet metal....good 50 buck investement. it will improve the sound and at loud volumes it wont rattle as much

Vehicle
    89 LX-i(5speed)

Quote Originally Posted by mkymonkey
    yeah if you really are concerned with how it sounds, i say just add some dynomat behind the speaker on your door's sheet metal....good 50 buck investement. it will improve the sound and at loud volumes it wont rattle as much
    i wish dynomat was cheap...my friend told me he would not put any into his new car....im glad i listen to him cuz i was going to install it on my dx back when i had it.

1989 Honda Accord LX-i
    B18c1 swap since 7/2011
    175whp and 132tq
    Redzone tuned

Vehicle
    1988 EX-i 4dr, 1989 se-i 4dr (RIP), 1989 se-i 4dr (RIP), 2006 TSX

Some speakers will work better in a small enclosure... but most are designed to work in the factory door placement. You probably wouldnt notice much of a difference at all. But monkeys advice is good... A small piece of sound dampening material behind the speaker does actually make a difference and shouldnt cost more than like $30... Most companies sell these small sheets.