Thread: How can I temporarily bypass my clutch in my 89 Accord LX-i for remote start...?

Vehicle
    1989 Honda Accord LX-i w/ a sunroof :) / 1991 Toyota MR2 N/A T-top!!!

How can I temporarily bypass my clutch in my 89 Accord LX-i for remote start...?

If you take a look in my other post, you will see that I just purchasd a remote start alarm (made for manual trannies)
    Anyhow, I got the alarm installed last night... it works and everything. But I can't figure out how to go about bypassing the clutch switch, it will temporary bypass while it is remoe starting (and will function normally when not).
    Anyhow, I looked in the FSM that is available on this board, but I cant seem to makes sense of this. Maybe one of you guys can
    -Per the FSM, there is a 3 pin harness plugging into the clutch switch.
    -Mine only has 2 (one pink & one black, the other one is empty)
    -The black wire reads 0Volts at all times
    -The pink wire read 0volts when it is not deperessed (clutch up), and reads a varying voltage at ignition when the clutch is depressed (clutch down), but voltage is not a constant 12Volts.

I figured I could just shoot a 12 volt (ignition) signal into the pink wire… but no such luck. Do you guys have any ideas, or anyone with experience?
    TIA
    Last edited by gsus; 11-05-2006 at 08:57 PM.
    -Jesús

heyzeus2003(at)sbcglobal(dot)net

Vehicle
    88 lx sedan (R.I.P.) / 89 LX sedan(sold) / 89 lxi parts car(towed away) / 87 lxi hatch

Re: How can I temporarily bypass my clutch in my 89 Accord LX-i for remote start...?

have u tried a none iginition 12v i think it has to have power befor it turns on

SEi User
    Vehicle
    1986 Honda Accord POS tranny

Re: How can I temporarily bypass my clutch in my 89 Accord LX-i for remote start...?

im not sure how your starter is setup, but for mine, itll ground out the switch, and activates the relay to start the car. so maybe go that approach? then again, mines not installed yet, and im doing the pedal swap and relay switch install soon

Vehicle
    88 lx sedan (R.I.P.) / 89 LX sedan(sold) / 89 lxi parts car(towed away) / 87 lxi hatch

u can just take the safty switch out mine dosent work i can start my car wothout the clutch

Vehicle

Quote Originally Posted by ghettogeddy
    have u tried a none iginition 12v i think it has to have power befor it turns on
    No I have not tried that, I will tomorrow though.

Quote Originally Posted by newaccorddriver
    im not sure how your starter is setup, but for mine, itll ground out the switch, and activates the relay to start the car. so maybe go that approach? then again, mines not installed yet, and im doing the pedal swap and relay switch install soon
    From the search that I did, the 89’s seem to have a different clutch safety switch system, I’m not sure what the difference is… but that’s what I kept seeing. Another thought of mine was that maybe the wire is actually a ground wire and reads voltage when the ignition is activated? With the pedal depressed and the key off, the wire reads not voltage, until the key is turned to ignition.

u can just take the safty switch out mine dosent work i can start my car wothout the clutch
    That was a thought I had last night, but since I’m not the only one that drives the Accord (my dad drives it during the nicer months as his daily), I don’t want to risk him or anybody starting the car in gear by accident with the key.

Thanks for the input guys, I’ll follow up with an update tomorrow evening, but if someone comes across this with a definite answer please do let me know!
    -Jesús

Vehicle

well if they guy that answer all of my install tech questions wasent in jail for give alcohol to minners id have the question answerd already

Vehicle

^^^ thanks, It' s really not that big of a deal. I'll get it figured out one way or another .
    -Jesús

Vehicle

lol i just remeber him saying something about it being a ground that had to be changed but i dont know if thats model spicific so im useless

3Geez Veteran Civic Accord Honda's Avatar
    Vehicle
    1995 Civic/ 1988 CRX

i dont have to push my clutch in to start mine

1988 Honda Accord LX-i Coupe 123k miles.

Vehicle

lol i just remeber him saying something about it being a ground that had to be changed but i dont know if thats model spicific so im useless
    yeah, now that i think about it more & more... it may be a ground activated wire. I'll do some testing tomorrow

Quote Originally Posted by civic accord honda
    i dont have to push my clutch in to start mine
    Well good for you, want a cookie? lol j/k. Is it like that in stock form, or becuase your clutch switch doesnt work? I may remove my clutch switch as a last resort... but hopefully i'll figure out a way to temporarily bypass mine (during remote start only).
    -Jesús

Vehicle
    1987 Honda Accord 2.0Si

your telling me that your US models have a switch on the clutch so you cant start it unless ur foots on the clutch or someting????

by the way all the pink wire does is your cruise control. it has to be groundd for cruise control to kick in while driving ...........

Vehicle
    89 LX-i(5speed)

Quote Originally Posted by wohdog
    your telling me that your US models have a switch on the clutch so you cant start it unless ur foots on the clutch or someting????
    by the way all the pink wire does is your cruise control. it has to be groundd for cruise control to kick in while driving ...........

yup that is right...my clutch has to be pressed in or else it wont start.

1989 Honda Accord LX-i
    B18c1 swap since 7/2011
    175whp and 132tq
    Redzone tuned

Vehicle
    1987 Honda Accord 2.0Si

oh ok random. i guess its a good habit to get into anyway saves starting your car in gear and looking like a right ass hahaha.

the biut that wood fuck me off would be if i wasnt sitting in the car and i wanted to start it threw the window when i was like working on its engine or some shit

Vehicle
    1995 Civic/ 1988 CRX

i saw something about geting rid of it on another forum its easy just cut the wire to it the switch is behind the clutch under the dash mine dose not have nor did it ever have one

Vehicle
    1987 Honda Accord 2.0Si

yeah i have never heard of a clutch switch that wont let the car start.

Vehicle
    1995 Civic/ 1988 CRX

Quote Originally Posted by wohdog
    yeah i have never heard of a clutch switch that wont let the car start.
    we had one on are 97 accords and just about any new car we owned but are 89 coupe did not have

Vehicle
    89 LX-i(5speed)

yeah i think its only a feature on 89 honda accords....im sure it can be bypassed like any other electic circuit.

1989 Honda Accord LX-i
    B18c1 swap since 7/2011
    175whp and 132tq
    Redzone tuned

Vehicle

maybe it was just a feature for the LX-i models?

anyhow... havent had a chance to test anything... i'm pretty much waiting til the weekend to get back at it again . Will update with progress!
    -Jesús

Vehicle

http://www.the12volt.com/installbay/...0817&KW=clutch

Well I found this very informative post on the12volt.com forum. I’ve also been reading that most (if not all) Honda’s (w/ clutch safety switches) use a ground signal to activate a relay, which in turn allows you to turn on your car. So based on this… (I am assuming) that pink wire is for the cruise control as someone mentioned earlier, and the black wire is for my ground activated relay . I will know for sure tomorrow, or possibly tonight.
    -Jesús

Vehicle

well i was sick yesterday and i'm a whole lot better today. anyhow, i got to testing the wires today... and NO LUCK. i'm thinking that maybe there is another clutch switch somewhere else? but then again, when i remove the plug on top of the a clutch switch... the car wont start.
    -Jesús

Vehicle
    92 VW Jetta

The saftey switch for my clutch was also removed like ghettos just be careful if you remove it that you don't leave it in gear, i've forgotten a few times and it'll lurch on ya
    gonna miss my 3gee
    next project neuspeed jetta

Vehicle

Okay I figured it out! there are 2 clutch switches! silly me took forever to figure it out... i had to search on here for some post from back in 2003 to figure this out.

here is how I did it in case anyone is to install a proper manual tranny remote start in their car.

you will need a relay!

pin 85 - constant 12v
    pin 86 - ground while running output from alarm
    pin 30 - ground
    pin 87 - to your clutch wire (black/green)

Take this information for what you will, I am not responsible for any of your actions!
    Last edited by gsus; 11-12-2006 at 02:57 PM.
    -Jesús

Vehicle
    1986 Accord Hatchback

There might be two different plugs at the clutch pedal... Either way, take for instance the two wires mentioned above.
    Those two wires will connect to each other when the clutch is pressed down... sooo what you can do is just wire up a relay to join the same wires when cranking or when the remote starter ir activated.

I found this to be the easiest then testing with different triggers. If you'd rather send a pulse to it then test either wire with the key on. You will most likely find one wire resting at ground (-) and the other will show ground then the clutch is pressed.

Another way to test is insert a little jumper between the two wires in the connector and then try starting the car with the key and not pressing the
    clutch. This confirm my first suggestion.

Let us know.