Thread: New Interior

DX User

New Interior

I have a burgundy 88 honda accord with a horrid burgundy interior. Dont get my wrong the interior is still in good shape, but the thing is i'd like a new one. Does anyone have any ideas of where i might be able to find a kit or something so i can redo the one i have. I'd rather have a leather interior. Any help would be greatly appreciated

Vehicle
    1989 Honda Accord Lxi Coupe

Re: New Interior

i dont believe anyone makes a kit for the interior of our car. the best thing i can recommend is to buy the material yourself by the yard and just cut to fit. other than that you might have to take it to an upholster to do it for ya. otherwise, start looking for an sei...they came with factory leather

Vehicle
    86 hatchback, 1990 Lincoln Towncar

have fun LOL. the only kit i ever found went in my car,and I had to rip out all the stiches,recut everything,and sew it back together. as well as fabricate all the door panels and quarters from scratch.

DX User

Well darn...where can one get some cheap fabric from or...is there anyway to dye the fabric thas already on the seats? And another question to anyone out there, i've looked around and read various post but whats the best paint to use as far as painting the dash and the door panels that wont fade and whatnot

Vehicle

check JC whitney,I'm sure they still have them, they had custom seat cover upholstery kits. these aren't the kind you buy at walmart,these have hog rings to permantly attach them to the seats. they had some eighties style patterns at one time. each one is a custom fit. they also had matching material by the yard you could use for your door panels etc. they looked to be prety high quality. don't try to use cheap fabric,it won't last. I'm even having trouble with profesional upholstery fabric fading in my hatch. as far as paint,try www.eastwood.com they have the pro quality stuff,you can also call them with questions about using it.

Accord of the Year - 2006

Actually I think catzskin or whatever they are called made a leather kit for the 4 dr if i recall correctly.

Other than that its about taking it to an upholstery shop. A good one with real leather is going to run you past 2 grand. You get what you pay for though just like paint.

id avoid paint unles you have it custom made. its always to glossy for interiors.and dye always looks dyed.

DX User

Iight well i appreciate everyones help. Ima have to take some photos and put them on here to show everyone. Cause i have a cloth like interior that i want a different color if i can help it cause it's startin to look a bit grotesque. If i cant change the cloth color i really want to paint the front and door panels

Vehicle
    89 LX-i(5speed)

you can always buy some fabric paint. and paint your interior.... i used it on my dx here is a pic

1989 Honda Accord LX-i
    B18c1 swap since 7/2011
    175whp and 132tq
    Redzone tuned

Vehicle
    '01 BMW 740i,'87 Accord,'02 Accord EX-L,'76 Datsun 280Z,'05 Subaru Legacy GT*R.I.P.*

^ i did that also. i'm soon planning on recovering my door panels and possibly changing some other things. i'm going for a darker interior on mine which was originally poo brown and is now red and black. but i think i'm going to go with more black. just go to the old lady fabric stores and look around. they will usually have automotive grade interior fabrics for pretty cheap. the most expensive thing i bought was the adhesive to put the vinal in.
    Keep it HONDA. Or at least Asian.™
    *Weber 32/36*Pacesetter Header*2.25 in. Cat Back exhaust*SE-i rear disk brakes
    B18C swap ditched, A20 to be revived
    Looking for K20/trans for ultimate swap

DX User

And where did you acquire that fabric paint from cause thas a wonderful idea now that i think about it. Im thinkin about going with a black and burgundy interior cause im gettin my car painted black soon. That'll be sweet! I wouldnt mind re-doing my interior vinyl but i have no sewing experience and that might be costly

Vehicle

whatever you do,don't try to buy cheap vinal paint, the eastwoods ones are a system, cleaner,primer,then color. if you want it to last use the good stuff and spend the extra money

Vehicle
    89 LX-i(5speed)

Quote Originally Posted by Casanova23
    And where did you acquire that fabric paint from cause thas a wonderful idea now that i think about it. Im thinkin about going with a black and burgundy interior cause im gettin my car painted black soon. That'll be sweet! I wouldnt mind re-doing my interior vinyl but i have no sewing experience and that might be costly

i just got the Duplicolor fabric paint...its like 6 bucks a can....from autozone. i would use it on parts that dont get touched or used alot...and then pick up some SEM fabric paint...like 12 bucks a can....for the stuff you use alot like door handles and stuff....i used both and the SEM is a lil better quality...i used plastic and vinyl cleaner first.

1989 Honda Accord LX-i
    B18c1 swap since 7/2011
    175whp and 132tq
    Redzone tuned

Vehicle
    88 LX-i Hatch (Sold),1989 LX-i Sedan (Sold), 88 LX-i Sedan (Sold), 89 LX-i Sedan (RIP)

I started on a black and burgandy interior I just got lazy and didnt finish my door panels

DX User

Pico you have the same color interior as I have. I'm definately feelin the black paneling. What did you have to do so you didnt get the paint everywhere. Im thinkin you had to tape off things, im juss trying to get a good idea cause i wanna do a good job when it comes down to it.

Vehicle
    89 LX-i(5speed)

Pico you have the same color interior as I have. I'm definately feelin the black paneling. What did you have to do so you didnt get the paint everywhere. Im thinkin you had to tape off things, im juss trying to get a good idea cause i wanna do a good job when it comes down to it.

he had a parts car that had the black tops for the door panels....its a nice swap....i would do it if i find a nice cheap interior...or just paint it....but after a while it might flake off. and look RICE

1989 Honda Accord LX-i
    B18c1 swap since 7/2011
    175whp and 132tq
    Redzone tuned

DX User

ahhh i definately dont want the rice look lol When u posted those pics earlier where you painted ur interior was it hard and was the black like a good black looking color or did it look slightly brown?

Vehicle
    '01 BMW 740i,'87 Accord,'02 Accord EX-L,'76 Datsun 280Z,'05 Subaru Legacy GT*R.I.P.*

if your going to be using paints on the interior make sure the vinal parts go with something like Duplicolor Vinal/Fabric dye, and the hard plastics such as the bottom the the dash and upper pillar panels go with a plastic paint like Krylon Fusion. those were what i used with the best results. also taking the parts out of the car gave me the best results, that way i could clean them with soapy detergent water and rubbing alcohol.
    Keep it HONDA. Or at least Asian.™
    *Weber 32/36*Pacesetter Header*2.25 in. Cat Back exhaust*SE-i rear disk brakes
    B18C swap ditched, A20 to be revived
    Looking for K20/trans for ultimate swap

DX User

Okiedokie...is taking the dash paneling out hard? Cause thas what i plan on doing when i decide to paint the interior

Vehicle
    89 LX-i(5speed)

Okiedokie...is taking the dash paneling out hard? Cause thas what i plan on doing when i decide to paint the interior

i would not go thru the truble of taking out the dash but if you want professional paint job that is the best way to do it...and yeah i did take off my parts and had them cleaned and sanded down with a scuff pad. then i used some adhesion promoter

1989 Honda Accord LX-i
    B18c1 swap since 7/2011
    175whp and 132tq
    Redzone tuned