View Poll Results: What brand would You go for?

Voters
13. You may not vote on this poll
  • KYB GR-2

1 7.69%
  • Bilstein HD

10 76.92%
  • Other

2 15.38%

Thread: Whats beater? Shocks choice...

Vehicle
    Honda Accord's EXi #1 [A20a4] R.I.P & #2 [B20a2]

Whats beater? Shocks choice...

Please say Your opinion's out of Your experience..

My dilemma is whats beater? The:
    KYB GR2 Shocks or
    Bilstein HD Shock

Kyb is cheaper thou..

Its prttey fnuny how you can raed tihs eintre snetnece with all tehse ellters out of palce...

My Build Thread

Vehicle
    88 lx sedan (R.I.P.) / 89 LX sedan(sold) / 89 lxi parts car(towed away) / 87 lxi hatch

Re: Whats beater? Shocks choice...

bilsteain but there kid of expensive lol
    600 for a set lol
    you forgot tokicos lol thats what i have and they do me good

Vehicle
    1989 Honda Accord SE-i Coupe

a beater is whats referred to as an old, shitty car thats used to get you from point a to point b
    '89 SE-i Coupe
    Awaiting Garage
    Quote Originally Posted by AccordEpicenter View Post
    its better to be retarded than advanced

Vehicle
    SE-i Sedan 5 spd

Hey Tomisimo:

Look at this page, which a 3G member has used to put up suspension alternatives:

http://3geez.wiki-tv.com/How_to_upgrade_your_suspension

I have revalved Bilstein shocks with Eibach springs. I'm *very* happy, but I had to revalve the front Bilsteins twice before I got to the right setting. But now it's perfect. Not the cheapest though.

Once you get the 3G suspension sorted, it's a really good-handling car. I also have front and rear sway bars, since it's an SE-i (same setup as LX-i plus rear discs). As long as absolute power is not required, I've surprised quite a few other cars on the twisties.
    Last edited by w261w261; 04-03-2008 at 01:00 PM.

Vehicle

Quote Originally Posted by w261w261 View Post
    Hey Tomisimo:

Look at this page, which a 3G member has used to put up suspension alternatives:

http://3geez.wiki-tv.com/How_to_upgrade_your_suspension

I have revalved Bilstein shocks with Eibach springs. I'm *very* happy, but I had to revalve the front Bilsteins twice before I got to the right setting. But now it's perfect. Not the cheapest though.

Once you get the 3G suspension sorted, it's a really good-handling car. I also have front and rear sway bars, since it's an SE-i (same setup as LX-i plus rear discs). As long as absolute power is not required, I've surprised quite a few other cars on the twisties.
    I was thinking about rebuilding whole suspension from the ground up, all washers, bushings, sleeves, bearings, suspension alignment components, control arms, sway bars, and big brake upgrade. With some Prelude, 4G mod's and so on.. Because I determined to having my car in the long run, and as all knows that car which handles beater than original is priceless..

Its prttey fnuny how you can raed tihs eintre snetnece with all tehse ellters out of palce...

My Build Thread

Vehicle
    1988 EX-i 4dr, 1989 se-i 4dr (RIP), 1989 se-i 4dr (RIP), 2006 TSX

Will you be running lowering springs? coilovers? this will make a difference... If you're running stock ride height, either will do just fine, the Bilsteins are a better shock, but i doubt you would notice a huge difference.

and like said above, the tokico's are also a good option.

Vehicle

Quote Originally Posted by Hash_man_Se_i View Post
    Will you be running lowering springs? coilovers? this will make a difference... If you're running stock ride height, either will do just fine, the Bilsteins are a better shock, but i doubt you would notice a huge difference.

and like said above, the tokico's are also a good option.
    Yeah.. going to drop her by 1,5" no more.. Thinking about H&R springs. The reason for is because in Norway there is not legal to drop more than 1.5" or 40mm.. the TUV restrictions is strong her so, no Coilovers, all thou its legal. I just dont see the point in them besides of lowering in summer and lift it in the winter..

edit:
    but i doubt you would notice a huge difference.
    Dont be so sure, I drove lots of cars, moodet and upgraded. so I feel car driving over a cigarette button and roads here is like a serpentine, unlike American straight forward..
    Last edited by Tomisimo; 04-03-2008 at 02:50 PM.

My Build Thread

Vehicle
    1988 Honda Accord DX hatchback

^^ hahahaha. man you should try Idaho roads or Colorado roads. They aren't straight. Nice and twisty. It's places like Kansas where it's all straight. But in the Rocky Mountain areas the roads have a ton of turns.
    Lostforawhile:we have to pick on him he's CAH he spray painted himself into this corner with the accord.

Vehicle

Quote Originally Posted by turabaka View Post
    ^^ hahahaha. man you should try Idaho roads or Colorado roads. They aren't straight. Nice and twisty. It's places like Kansas where it's all straight. But in the Rocky Mountain areas the roads have a ton of turns.
    Agreed.. Mountain areas do have twisty roads, Norway is more than 1000mils long and mountains occupy all most whole country.. They say in the rest of europe that best drivers is from norway, and one of the most exiting roads found in Norway or Alps/Switzerland.. Anyways this thread is not about roads but about feel of suspension on the tire mack..

My Build Thread

Vehicle
    87' LX-i (hatchback)=Gone, EG8=Daily

I havent tried KYB but i may give them a try when i buy new struts as they do have a reputable reputation and their price is reasonable. Im currently running Tokicos on stock springs and am happy with them as they do firm up the suspension. No experience with Bilsteins but the sheer price of each strut is what scares me away
    No more 3G but that doesn't mean i cant look at yours...

Vehicle
    1986 Accord Hatch LXI, 01 Aurora, 76 chevy truck

I say Bilstein's....go big or go home right?

Oh, and can you please use the word better in place of beater? I'm not a grammer teacher but when I see beater I also immediately think of an old shatastic car. Yours looks pretty cool.
    "If one has not failed, then one has not challenged himself.." -Ferdinand Porsche

Vehicle
    89 LXi Coupe 5spd

You can get those jap ajustables. They are like 800 a set.

Remeber boys and girls Coupes rule, Hatchies drule, and 4 doors are for mothers..........

Vehicle

Quote Originally Posted by 86nlife2go View Post
    I say Bilstein's....go big or go home right?

Oh, and can you please use the word better in place of beater? I'm not a grammer teacher but when I see beater I also immediately think of an old shatastic car. Yours looks pretty cool.
    LoL They also say "If You going to f*ck, f*ck a Queen"

Anyways, I think I made up my mind, I'll go with Bilstein Heavy Duty shocks with full KYB made bushing set, Uper and Lower.

My Build Thread

Vehicle

I would get the bilsteins revalved then, at least the fronts... Or buy my Koni's .... I had H&R springs on Tokico HP shocks, and found the front end to be a bit bouncy at times when going over large bumps or dips in the road. The spring rates of the H&R are excellent, I live right near the mountains too, and I would recommend something a little better for the front. I found the rear end to be quite stiff with the tokico's, but the front could have been better.

Vehicle

Quote Originally Posted by Hash_man_Se_i View Post
    I would get the bilsteins revalved then, at least the fronts... Or buy my Koni's .... I had H&R springs on Tokico HP shocks, and found the front end to be a bit bouncy at times when going over large bumps or dips in the road. The spring rates of the H&R are excellent, I live right near the mountains too, and I would recommend something a little better for the front. I found the rear end to be quite stiff with the tokico's, but the front could have been better.
    In what condition Your Koni's are? do You sell all 4 or just two?

My Build Thread

Vehicle

I only have the front two, which are brand new never installed. I am waiting on my new suspension before I post them in the trading post though. Shouldn't be long.

Vehicle

How much do You want for them?

My Build Thread

Vehicle
    89 LX-i(5speed)

tokicos are the best performance for the money but if you want a car you can go and run some autocross it will be konis

1989 Honda Accord LX-i
    B18c1 swap since 7/2011
    175whp and 132tq
    Redzone tuned

Vehicle
    SE-i Sedan 5 spd

The really nice thing about the Koni's is that they can be adjusted to the springs that you'll be using. The Bilsteins are great also, but they aren't adjustable, except by the factory, at I think $ 65 each. I didn't know all this before I installed new Eibach springs and Bilsteins. Imagine my disappointment when the car started bouncing up and down on the front! I bought another pair of Bilsteins (I couldn't leave my car without anything for a month), paying to have them revalved to what the factory recommended and what had been posted here (but was not quite right), and paying to have them reinstalled. It was close, but still a little bouncy. So I sent the original pair back again for another revalve, and fortunately, they are now perfect. Total cost of my research:

Original cost: 4 Bilstein HD Shox.com $ 379.00
    4 Eibach Pro-Kit springs 225.00
    Install above: 300.00
    Another (2) Bilsteins, revalved to 300/100: 360.00
    Install new Bilsteins 120.00
    Revalve original Bilsteins to 110/340 incl shipping 170.00
    Install these when they came back 120.00
    Sold the 300/100 Bilsteins to member here -140.00
    ---------
    Total Cost $ 1,534.00

So if you are going to install Bilsteins or any non-adjustable shock, try and find someone that has the exact shock/spring combo that you are going to buy. For instance, my setup works great, but with another set of springs, my Bilsteins probably would be off. RESEARCH SUCH AS MINE CAN BE EXPENSIVE! But at least it's done.

Bear in mind the revalve is only for the fronts. The rears are fine stock, because the Eibach springs are actually softer than the original. I don't know why this is, but they're fine. Some others that have gone with stiffer-than-stock rear springs have been sorry, as the rear passengers bounce off the ceiling with bumps.
    Last edited by w261w261; 04-05-2008 at 02:27 PM.

Vehicle
    1988 ca3 si exclusive

i think kyb do an adjustable shock called agx?
    have seen them advertised but dont know anyone that has tried them
    anyone here know bout them?