Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: no clutter/weber

Vehicle
    86 LX JDM B20A

no clutter/weber

Anyone wanting a preview of how simple your engine will get once you decide to do a Weber carb swap.
    I took this yesterday, I recently bought a 38/38 (no this is not it) and it came with a jetting kit. I rebuilt the JY carb I got a few months ago and decided to try it out on the LX which already had a DFEV. I had to move the makeshift linkage bracket to the left side since this DGV-5a has throttle on the opposite side.
    Ignore the rigs,this is just temporary to try out the carb and have a good 32/36 to sell. Right away I noticed a big difference in how crisp the throttle is. Now that I have a jet kit I can experiment.
    [IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]
    Last edited by 2oodoor; 05-22-2008 at 09:23 AM.

2ndGenGuy

Re: no clutter/weber

You gotta love how open everything is and how much easier shit is to work on. Just curious whats with the tinfoil on the baseplates?

Vehicle
    86 LX JDM B20A

ok glad you asked dammit

That IS NOT TINFOIL!, granted it may look like it. Ok I did a high heat epoxy bonding and consolidation of the adapter plates as someone else did on the forum long ago. Matter of fact I did that in 2006 and it still is holding up quite well. Anyway I was too hopped up on pain pills at the time right after surgury so I did not feel like finish sanding the epoxy,
    That is high heat furnace tape.

After removing the other carb and looking down in there yesterday, there is zero seepage or vacuum leaks. When I move that engine over to the other car I will make that look better.
    Last edited by 2oodoor; 05-22-2008 at 10:09 AM.

2ndGenGuy

Oh ok. Tanks for clarifying. Anxious to see the 38 on there and see what you think about the differences between the DGV and DGS carbs. I do like your modified carb linkage as well.

Vehicle
    1988 Honda Accord LX 5sp

I love it. Can't wait to get my conversion done. I decided to wait until next week to get after it as I don't want to take the chance of not having my car for the holiday weekend.
    Quick question though: when it rains my car throws water up onto the underside of the hood from the area of the belts. I'm concerned that I will be throwing water right into my air cleaner with the weber. Is there supposed to be a shield of some kind? Do you have this problem?
    Sorry to sidetrack your thread alittle.

Vehicle
    86 LX JDM B20A

not at all, there is supposed to be a plastic shield inside the wheel well

Vehicle
    1999 Penalty Box

I would find a way to tap the PCV to manifold vacuum. That's about the only thing I'd really change, other than the cleanup that you'll do to get everything "unrigged".

Vehicle
    86 LX JDM B20A

Quote Originally Posted by Vanilla Sky View Post
    I would find a way to tap the PCV to manifold vacuum. That's about the only thing I'd really change, other than the cleanup that you'll do to get everything "unrigged".
    The Pvc is on manfold vac, around the back.

Today I tore off all the OEM carb stuff on the DX. I am putting another manifold and weber on it. I got stuck though on the lower intake manifod bolts, dam those are tough, my hands and arms are all scratched up. I can't remember how I did the other car, I removed the intake with the head on it but then put it backon with the head mounted and it was not so bad. I got a snoot full again of how much bullish is on thes oem carby cars, those steel lines and maze of vac lines are beyond
    r i d i c u l o u s... here is the carnage of what is being chunked...
    [IMG][/IMG]

I still do not have three lower intake nuts off, I may get crazy and yank the whole engine and put the B20 in that car instead.

Vehicle
    1999 Penalty Box

My advice is to scrap the carb instead of just junking it. I know most yards buy those things, and the last time I sold one, I got like $5. It at least pays for admission. I'd also keep a couple of those vacuum bottles around. They're nice to have if you ever need them.

Vehicle
    '87 Prelude DX, '00 Nissan Frontier, '87 Suzuki Samurai DIESEL!

You should be able to get those lower bolts with a 12mm socket, universal, and long extension; in that order. No doubt though they are a bitch.

Hmm, vacuum crap. The cans can be useful, and maybe some of the solenoids and check valves. The rest can be banished to the far reaches of hell. Burning it in effigy might be fun too.

C|

Vehicle
    86 LX JDM B20A

Quote Originally Posted by cygnus x-1 View Post
    You should be able to get those lower bolts with a 12mm socket, universal, and long extension; in that order. No doubt though they are a bitch.

Hmm, vacuum crap. The cans can be useful, and maybe some of the solenoids and check valves. The rest can be banished to the far reaches of hell. Burning it in effigy might be fun too.

C|
    I have tryed every combination of extensions and sockets, no luck. I have to remove the oil separator and I can get it with a long gooseneck 12mm box end. MY back was killing me after wrestling with those middle three nuts for almost two hours, I was seeing stars so I had to quit, hated to though.
    Yep I will hang on the the vac storage cans.
    After knicking myself on some of that bracketry and really getting the overwhelming ideations of "what the HELLLLLLLLLLL,is this thing supposed to do , what the F x2 ?" speaking of the unknown items on the drivers side fenderwell, and all the trouble I went thru to get that metal vacuum line deal off intact in one piece with it's master... yes a ceremonious eniilation of the remains is in tall order cygnus x1

Vehicle
    86 LX JDM B20A

update, ok I loosened the alternator and removed the belt, took out the adjuster hold down bolt and swung the alt all the way toward the firewall. This made it a lot easier to access all but one nut.
    I got the weber 38 installed and only had one little test drive with it, very well worth it, all the diff in night and day in this car now. It was overwhelming how much more power it has and a ubber smooth idle ...very impressive. I also scrubbed and cleaned the whole engine compartment.
    I did a wine cork mod on the air pulser thing to plug it off for the time being; the cork works quite well so far.(duct tape is temporary while the wine cork glue sets lol)
    picture sucks I will take a better one and change in a little while, this is the DX
    [IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]
    Last edited by 2oodoor; 06-02-2008 at 01:25 PM.

Vehicle
    86 LX JDM B20A

Quote Originally Posted by 2ndGenGuy View Post
    Oh ok. Tanks for clarifying. Anxious to see the 38 on there and see what you think about the differences between the DGV and DGS carbs. I do like your modified carb linkage as well.
    BIG difference, I like both but this 38 really woke up this other car, I swear it feels like I did a LOT LOT more than just swap manifold and carb. Adrenaline rush was when I got it out on the highway, words can't describe it. It made all the cuts on my arms and backache worth while. This carb was already tuned for a modifed Prelude using a wideband, I think I will just leave it like it is. I am sure now out of the box tuning is pretty generic and most people never know what their weber is really capable of.

Vehicle
    86 LX JDM B20A

this one is for sale in the marketplace, DFEV , note this is not the same car, just the valve cover
    [IMG][/IMG]
    Last edited by 2oodoor; 06-06-2008 at 11:31 AM.

Vehicle
    1988 Honda Accord LX 5sp

I finished doing my 32/36 conversion on Friday night and got to drive it over the weekend. Big difference is an understatment! The car is so much smoother and more powerful. Not that I think I gain alot of hp but what is there is much more useable. Mine still smokes some but is much more managable than with the OEM carb.
    Best part is I beat on it all weekend(100mi+-) and only used about 1/8 tank of fuel. Can't wait to get some real MPG numbers.

2ndGenGuy

Quote Originally Posted by roodoo2 View Post
    BIG difference, I like both but this 38 really woke up this other car, I swear it feels like I did a LOT LOT more than just swap manifold and carb. Adrenaline rush was when I got it out on the highway, words can't describe it. It made all the cuts on my arms and backache worth while. This carb was already tuned for a modifed Prelude using a wideband, I think I will just leave it like it is. I am sure now out of the box tuning is pretty generic and most people never know what their weber is really capable of.
    Yeah man, I was gonna say it's probably pretty kickass having his carb on your car. Knowing that everything works and that it's all tuned properlike for your engine! You should get some video of your car pulling up and onramp!!!

Vehicle
    86 LX JDM B20A

Cygnus-x1 did an excellent job of tuning this 38/38 and plenum porting of the manifold. I was thinking the whole time of that first test drive that my silly little silver four door DX gas saver didn't even seem like the same car, it was like I was driving Cygnus's car. It had taken on a whole new personna, yes I know that is wierd.

Vehicle
    86 LX JDM B20A

Ok, I drove THIS one to work today. Wow is all I can say once again. I was kinda pissed because traffic was so tight this morning so I couldn't do any full out running anywhere. I did though get to a point where I was on flat ground creeping in 5th gear at 40 mph, and I gave it just a little mash not even flooring it and it picked up to 75 in a matter of about two seconds without even downshifting. If you had driven my DX before that you would realize just how amazing that was. I am loving this carb, and even though it was tuned to a more modified engine I think it is pretty close to where it needs to be. I was on the interstate and just barely breathing on the gas pedal, MPG will improve I believe.
    I have the jetting numbers wrote down so if any of you have 38 DGS you may want to try this set up. I will edit them in later unless you still have them Cygnus x1, I took it apart but I didn't change any thing, just took them all out and jotted them down at home. No leaks so far ! I am going to fix the pvc set up today, I will take some pics, I use a mopar v8 heater bypass hose to house the valve and run it around to the back, it worked pretty well on my other car.
    Last edited by 2oodoor; 06-06-2008 at 03:27 AM.

Vehicle

Ok, I drove THIS one to work today. Wow is all I can say once again. I was kinda pissed because traffic was so tight this morning so I couldn't do any full out running anywhere. I did though get to a point where I was on flat ground creeping in 5th gear at 40 mph, and I gave it just a little mash not even flooring it and it picked up to 75 in a matter of about two seconds without even downshifting. If you had driven my DX before that you would realize just how amazing that was. I am loving this carb, and even though it was tuned to a more modified engine I think it is pretty close to where it needs to be. I was on the interstate and just barely breathing on the gas pedal, MPG will improve I believe.
    I have the jetting numbers wrote down so if any of you have 38 DGS you may want to try this set up. I will edit them in later unless you still have them Cygnus x1, I took it apart but I didn't change any thing, just took them all out and jotted them down at home. No leaks so far ! I am going to fix the pvc set up today, I will take some pics, I use a mopar v8 heater bypass hose to house the valve and run it around to the back, it worked pretty well on my other car.

I don't have the numbers offhand. They should be the same as what's in my last entry that Weber jetting post here. The air correctors might be off a step but that won't make a huge difference.

That was one cool thing about this carb. It cruises with just the tiniest bit of throttle.

C|

Vehicle
    89 LX-i(5speed)

nice set up Guy....so when are we going to see the b20 in it?

1989 Honda Accord LX-i
    B18c1 swap since 7/2011
    175whp and 132tq
    Redzone tuned

Vehicle
    86 LX JDM B20A

Quote Originally Posted by MessyHonda View Post
    nice set up Guy....so when are we going to see the b20 in it?
    soon I hope, we are having a heat wave right now. I wanted to get the DX situated before I tear down the other car. Taking the least amount of risk having a good mpg car during this fuel price stuff.

Vehicle
    1988 Honda Accord DX hatchback

I noticed in this picture that you don't have a pcv valve anymore and that you just plugged it up on the manifold. I went out a little bit ago, and tested to see if plugging that line up would do anything about my hi idle, and it did. Can I leave it that way, or do I need to take off that black box under the manifold?
    Lostforawhile:we have to pick on him he's CAH he spray painted himself into this corner with the accord.

Vehicle

The PCV valve does act as a sort of controlled vacuum leak. In my opinion PCV is one of the few emissions controls to keep, since it helps keep the oil clean and combats sludge buildup. Try putting a small diameter tube inline with the vacuum line to the PCV valve to restrict the flow some. That should keep it from being so much of a leak.

C|

Vehicle
    1999 Penalty Box

I wish I had the money to convert my car to Webers. I have a set of DCOEs sitting, waiting for a rebuild. I just need the manifold, linkage, and air cleaners.

Vehicle
    86 LX JDM B20A

Quote Originally Posted by Vanilla Sky View Post
    I wish I had the money to convert my car to Webers. I have a set of DCOEs sitting, waiting for a rebuild. I just need the manifold, linkage, and air cleaners.
    Ok now you have something I want Vanilla Sky... I still have the laptop which works most of the time btw.

Turabaka you need to use PVC, I am still using it but I have the line routed from the back. The plastic housing that holds the actual valve tends to break, you can take off the whole tube from the top of the black box and service that part. I use a mopar 318 v8 heater by pass hose which is the same size and then trimmed up the hard plastic housing so there is a good fit and no vacuum leaks. PUt a new PVC valve in and use a vaccum source from the tee on the back of the intake. This mod makes it much easier (to me anyway) to deal with the pvc. ( IOU guys a pic of that, coming up)
    You should not have any idle problems with the 38, this one has the smoothest idle ....it is freakishly smooth in fact.
    Last edited by 2oodoor; 06-07-2008 at 03:34 AM.