Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Which Clutch?

Vehicle
    88 Accord LX-i

Arrow Which Clutch?

So I searched the old threads on clutches and found out alot. But I would like to know which clutch will last the longest. I seen one guy had an act I beleive it was for 5 years with no problems. I don't really beat on my car and would like to throw a clutch in that will last for the rest of the car's life (if possible). I would like a clutch that wont ruin my transaxle and will last a long time. The clutches I have been looking at are Ram, Centerforce, Clutchnet and Act. Any reccomendations for my application? Anyone tried these clutches?

Vehicle
    89 LX-i(5speed)

Re: Which Clutch?

clutchnet...i love mine....and i beat the shit out of it....burn outs on wide 16 inch tires....no problem....i got my tranny rebuilt also tho....and i installed a lightweight flywheel

1989 Honda Accord LX-i
    B18c1 swap since 7/2011
    175whp and 132tq
    Redzone tuned

Vehicle
    88 Accord LX-i

Quote Originally Posted by MessyHonda View Post
    clutchnet...i love mine....and i beat the shit out of it....burn outs on wide 16 inch tires....no problem....i got my tranny rebuilt also tho....and i installed a lightweight flywheel

What clutch do you have from Clutchnet?

Vehicle
    1989 Honda Accord LX 5-speed, 1995 BMW 525i 5-speed

I have an Exedy clutch. Installed it 3 years ago, no problems.
    Sam

1989 Accord LX: Sold with 208k-now somewhere around 230k with new owner

Current:
    2014 Elantra Sport 6MT
    2000 Montero Sport 4x4 (beater, trail rig)

Vehicle
    1988 Honda Accord DX hatchback

I've talked with a couple of mechanics, and they all recommended centerforce to me.
    Lostforawhile:we have to pick on him he's CAH he spray painted himself into this corner with the accord.

Vehicle
    1988 ca3 si exclusive

exedy,centerforce,ap racing,puk are al good clutches that will last for ages if you dont give them a hard time to often.
    what you should get depends on if and how much you plan on modding the engine.
    a stock type clutch wont last if you're guna build a 300hp monster and a race clutch wont last long if you slip it a bit in day to day driving .
    i personally run an exedy friction plate with an ap racing pressure plate and its awesome

Vehicle
    94 accord DX coupe , 89 LX (R.I.P) , 89 LX-i Coupe (sold)

i will add on an exedy.. outlassted my trans lol

Vehicle
    88 Accord LX-i

What type of exedy do you have? I would like a clutch that will last a long time and will give me a good launch every now and again. I will be doing mostly city driving. I'm thinking the centerforce stage 1. Is the holding power, how much longer the clutch will last mileagewise compared to the stock clutch?

Vehicle
    88 lx sedan (R.I.P.) / 89 LX sedan(sold) / 89 lxi parts car(towed away) / 87 lxi hatch

stock replacements suck lol but the exedy is a stock replacement but will most likly soot your needs

Vehicle
    89 Honda Accord LXi, Coupe & Sedan

Exedy made by LUK.

When I put in my Exedy it was stamped LUK. I also had a new LUK to compare it to and they are indeed one in the same.
    Phil

Vehicle
    86 Honda Accord sedan B-series

get a stage 1 clutchmaster. thats what i have and its holding to my 8psi pulls.

200+ ALL MOTOR LS VTEC

Vehicle
    1988 Honda Accord LX-i Turbo 2004 Acura TL 6 speed/navigation

Get a kevlar disk, itll outlast the car if you break it in properly. Avoid centerforce for honda applications. Im gonna go with ClutchMasters or ClutchNet. I personally would go with clutchnet because thats what i run and love it.
    429whp 362wtq A20 TURBO. A20T>*

Vehicle
    88 Accord LX-i

Well I would like to find a clutch, if it exists, that will last the life of my car. That is why I dont want a stock replacement. What does holding power mean?

Vehicle

the amount of horsepower going to the wheels. thats what holding powers means. you have hp and tq. when you look at clutch apps you see the rating if what the clutch can hold an it tells you hp,tq rating.

200+ ALL MOTOR LS VTEC

Vehicle
    1988 Honda Accord DX hatchback

Quote Originally Posted by AccordEpicenter View Post
    Get a kevlar disk, itll outlast the car if you break it in properly. Avoid centerforce for honda applications. Im gonna go with ClutchMasters or ClutchNet. I personally would go with clutchnet because thats what i run and love it.
    why avoid centerforce for Honda's?
    Lostforawhile:we have to pick on him he's CAH he spray painted himself into this corner with the accord.

Vehicle

They cant hold up. My buddy has a h22 and it was good for a while then it just started slipping. All it took was some good Hard launches and thats it, and he has a h22a then he boosted and just messed it up. so idk not a good clutch in my views.

200+ ALL MOTOR LS VTEC

Vehicle
    1988 ca3 si exclusive

the h22a is a pretty torquey motor for a start and adding a turbo would just make matters worse eh.
    the centerforce 2 clutchs are meant to be good.
    apparently twice the stock clamping force.
    whatever you do, dont get a ceramic clutch, they are either on or off and arnt to friendly to gearboxes.

Vehicle
    89 LX-i(5speed)

Quote Originally Posted by AccordEpicenter View Post
    yup you are right...i have the sprung kevelar..and stage 3 presure plate....all i can say....my a20 is not making that mush hp to make this clutch slip a bit...lol

1989 Honda Accord LX-i
    B18c1 swap since 7/2011
    175whp and 132tq
    Redzone tuned

Vehicle
    88 Accord LX-i

Mesy who is your stage 3 clutch made by? How do I know how long a clutch will last or can I just go by holding power? For example the stage 1 by centerforce has 30% more holding power than stock. And the dual friction by centerforce has 90% more holding power than stock. So that means the dual friction will last longer than the stage 1 right? Assuming they are both under same conditions, daily driving.

Vehicle
    89 Honda Accord LXi, Coupe & Sedan

A clutch is only as strong as its weakest link, in my case I had installed a Fenco from autozone in 2004 I relaced it in 2008 but only because the throw out spring failed, I didn't replace the spring in 04 because I forgot to order it from Honda so I used the original one again.

The Fenco clutch looked good except that the spring caused some damage to the clutch disk.

The Fenco clutch surprised me for quality. I wouldn't have any reservation in putting another one in if needed.
    Phil

Vehicle
    1989 Honda Accord LX 5-speed, 1995 BMW 525i 5-speed

My Exedy was stamped Exedy.
    Sam

1989 Accord LX: Sold with 208k-now somewhere around 230k with new owner

Current:
    2014 Elantra Sport 6MT
    2000 Montero Sport 4x4 (beater, trail rig)

Vehicle
    89 LX-i(5speed)

Quote Originally Posted by bank2me View Post
    Mesy who is your stage 3 clutch made by? How do I know how long a clutch will last or can I just go by holding power? For example the stage 1 by centerforce has 30% more holding power than stock. And the dual friction by centerforce has 90% more holding power than stock. So that means the dual friction will last longer than the stage 1 right? Assuming they are both under same conditions, daily driving.
    i got clutchnet

1989 Honda Accord LX-i
    B18c1 swap since 7/2011
    175whp and 132tq
    Redzone tuned

Vehicle
    '87 Prelude DX, '00 Nissan Frontier, '87 Suzuki Samurai DIESEL!

You know, really with just a stock engine and average driving, a standard replacement clutch should last 60k-80k miles easily. Lifespan will depend just as much on how you drive than on the particular brand of clutch. Upgraded aftermarket clutches will naturally survive longer under abuse than standard clutches, so if you intend to beat on it then you should probably get an upgrade.

A stiffer pressure plate will not necessarily make it last longer, it will just provide more gripping force. The only reason for this is to be able to handle more torque than a weaker plate. But as long as it doesn't slip under maximum engine torque it's fine. Having a massively stiff plate on a stock engine just makes your leg tired faster, and could actually wear out the crank thrust bearings and throwout bearing faster due to the higher thrust force required to release the plate.

The clutch disc material will affect lifespan, but under normal conditions any material will likely last a long time. Here is a good description of some common disc materials:
    http://www.uucmotorwerks.com/CLUTCH/

I happen to have a Clutchnet set with 2x (double stock clamping force) red pressure plate and organic spring disc. It's very stiff and has almost a snap action pedal feel. It took some getting used to but now I really like it. The organic disc makes it easy to modulate the slip (when starting from a dead stop) and the heavier plate grabs solid. It's a little too heavy for how much power I have now but I hope to be making more in the near future. And because I have a Prelude (started as an A18 engine) it also has slightly less contact area than an A20 clutch. So I wanted a stonger plate.

The Clutchnet green pressure plate and an organic disc would be a nice upgrade from OEM style and is still relatively inexpensive.

C|

Vehicle
    88 Accord LX-i

Thanks guys. Cygnus what is the price of the green clutch kit from clutchnet? Does it come with everything I need to replace the existing clutch?

Vehicle
    '87 Prelude DX, '00 Nissan Frontier, '87 Suzuki Samurai DIESEL!

About $200.

http://www.clutchnet.com/

C|