Thread: How hard will the EGR pipe come off?

Vehicle
    1988 Honda Accord LXI

How hard will the EGR pipe come off?

Went to replace the thermostat, and as usual one of the bolts snapped in the housing. So I pull the distributor, air cleaner piping etc. to get a straight shot at it. So I was able to finally drill through the bolt and figured I will tap it. But I decided to put a extractor in there to remove the bolt, but it broke, and I cannot drill through the hardened steel extractor piece that broke. So my option is to remove the housing which bolts to the head. But the only way to get to the bottom nut is to remove the EGR pipe. I really wanted to avoid this but this looks like I will have to get another housing at the pick your part. But I am worried about a 22 year old EGR pipe trying to break free from the exhaust manifold. Give any insite from those who may have done it. Remove the radiator to make more room to get at the large nut on the exhaust manifold? What size is that large nut? It's an 88 LXi.
    Last edited by Bluntman; 06-17-2010 at 04:49 PM.
    My '66' GT I built. My first Hot Rod magazine Cover "Summer 85". I've had it for 32 years, since I was 18. It's a trailer queen. 289 Hi-po, t-10 Toploader 4speed, 9 inch rearend.

Vehicle
    89 Honda Accord LXi, Coupe & Sedan

Re: How hard will the EGR pipe come off?

BP blaster and the good ole torch wrench. Heat up the bolt to the exhaust and spray it wit the PB blaster and let it sit for 20 minutes. Re-apply as needed. It works for me all the time.
    Phil

Vehicle
    1988 Honda Accord LXI

Quote Originally Posted by nswst8 View Post
    BP blaster and the good ole torch wrench. Heat up the bolt to the exhaust and spray it wit the PB blaster and let it sit for 20 minutes. Re-apply as needed. It works for me all the time.
    Is there enough room with the radiator in?
    My '66' GT I built. My first Hot Rod magazine Cover "Summer 85". I've had it for 32 years, since I was 18. It's a trailer queen. 289 Hi-po, t-10 Toploader 4speed, 9 inch rearend.

Vehicle
    88 LX-i Hatch (Sold),1989 LX-i Sedan (Sold), 88 LX-i Sedan (Sold), 89 LX-i Sedan (RIP)

Quote Originally Posted by Bluntman View Post
    Is there enough room with the radiator in?
    there is but it is a tight fit. I used a stubby wrench on mine and a pry bar for leverage to get it loose

Vehicle
    1988 Honda Accord LXI

Quote Originally Posted by Pico View Post
    there is but it is a tight fit. I used a stubby wrench on mine and a pry bar for leverage to get it loose
    You don't happen to remember what size that big EGR bolt is do you?

Vehicle
    88 LX-i Hatch (Sold),1989 LX-i Sedan (Sold), 88 LX-i Sedan (Sold), 89 LX-i Sedan (RIP)

You don't happen to remember what size that big EGR bolt is do you?
    I didnt have a metric wrench handy at the time, so I used a 15/16th inch stubby wrench.

Vehicle
    88 Accord DX Auto AC

Use a 1" c-clamp to hold the housing together.

Vehicle
    1988 Honda Accord LXI

Did not have to go the EGR pipe route after all. Got a stubby closed end ratcheting wrench on it, with just enough movement ( click by click ) to free it loose. It may have been worse to get at than the main relay. So now got a few parts coming. But it was no picnic.

Vehicle
    1988 Honda Accord LXI

Quote Originally Posted by joebeets View Post
    Use a 1" c-clamp to hold the housing together.
    I appreciate your input, but that is not how I do things. The motor is California rust free and looks good and runs good. Just my daily driver but couldn't do it.

LX User
    Vehicle
    '87 Accord LX-i/'85 Toyota Supra

I've replaced the Thermostat housing before, but I don't remember having to remove the EGR tube. I remember removing the Distributer to get better access.
    Last edited by ACE_14; 01-04-2010 at 09:11 PM.
    '87 accord lx-I sedan: Koni adj, struts, Progress sport springs, ST sway bars, spec. prod. camber kits, dc strut bar, msd blaster 2 coil, ngk plugs and Ractive 9mm wires. Erebuni bodykit and Wings West trunk spoiler.

Vehicle

Did not have to go the EGR pipe route after all. Got a stubby closed end ratcheting wrench on it, with just enough movement ( click by click ) to free it loose. It may have been worse to get at than the main relay. So now got a few parts coming. But it was no picnic.
    Small moves brother, small moves. I've been here before. Congrates on your patience.
    Phil

Vehicle
    1988 Honda Accord LXI

Small moves brother, small moves. I've been here before. Congrates on your patience.
    Thanks. Over the years of wrenching I have learned patience and thought are a virtue. And to always replace things that may not even be related, but since you have things apart and have access, you may as well take care of business for the preventative aspect of things.

Vehicle
    1988 Honda Accord LXI

Got a new thermostat housing (old one was a bit corroded inside),thermostat housing cover,gaskets, side hose, thermostat bleed screw,temperature sending unit ( in the housing), Honda OE coolant ( to avoid corrosion), OE ATF-Z1 fluid. All at my price ( I know the parts guy). Then went to Hillco fasteners and got new nuts and bolts. Since Honda Corporation is 30 min. away in Torrance I usually get parts next day. So it is a good day. And the ECT sensor and cooling fan switch are new.

Vehicle
    1988 Honda Accord LXI

All new parts are on. Added Honda ATF-Z1. Now adding all new Honda OEM coolant, and bleeding before initial start up and timing, and letting thermostat open and adding more coolant. ANYWAY THE COOLANT IS A NICE BLUE!

Vehicle

Blue! Just trying to be different aye?
    Phil

3Geez Veteran Civic Accord Honda's Avatar
    Vehicle
    1995 Civic/ 1988 CRX

congrats on getting them off!
    btw i used a pipe wernch to remove the egr pipe and i had to pull the rad (had no ac condenser )

1988 Honda Accord LX-i Coupe 123k miles.

Vehicle
    1989 Accord LX-i

Blue! Just trying to be different aye?
    Pretty much. It's a 5-year coolant, but to keep you from using ordinary 5-year coolant, they made it blue to scare you into buying more of the Honda stuff.

I've tried numerous times to get that pipe off and haven't managed it yet. It's on there really good, what with heat cycling and rust and all. It's compounded by the fact that you can't get a closed end wrench on it. You have to use an open ended wrench and beat like hell on it and hope it doesn't round over. I guess you could use a long handled pipe wrench like CAH, but I can't stand buggering things up.

I had the same problem with the thermostat housing bolts breaking and also replaced the housing at the head. I think I got that lower bolt with just a simple open ended wrench and a lot of patience. Swearing a lot helps.

Glad you got it fixed.
    Dr_Snooz

"I like to take hammers, and just break stuff, just break stuff." - Beavis

1989 Honda Accord LX-i Coupe, 240k miles, MT swap, rear disc swap

Shop manual downloads available here: CLICK TO VIEW

Vehicle
    1988 Honda Accord LXI

Quote Originally Posted by Dr_Snooz View Post
    Pretty much. It's a 5-year coolant, but to keep you from using ordinary 5-year coolant, they made it blue to scare you into buying more of the Honda stuff.

I've tried numerous times to get that pipe off and haven't managed it yet. It's on there really good, what with heat cycling and rust and all. It's compounded by the fact that you can't get a closed end wrench on it. You have to use an open ended wrench and beat like hell on it and hope it doesn't round over. I guess you could use a long handled pipe wrench like CAH, but I can't stand buggering things up.

I had the same problem with the thermostat housing bolts breaking and also replaced the housing at the head. I think I got that lower bolt with just a simple open ended wrench and a lot of patience. Swearing a lot helps.

Glad you got it fixed.
    Thanks. With a stubby closed end ratcheting wrench with the "flex head", it worked out well. I did not want to mess with a 22 year old EGR pipe if I didn't have to. You never know what will happen.
    Last edited by Bluntman; 01-08-2010 at 09:14 PM.

Vehicle
    '87 Accord LX-i

Swearing a lot helps.
    That's key to alot of things I've found.
    Quote Originally Posted by Some guy on another forum
    Good, Fast, Cheap. Pick Two.
    Quote Originally Posted by russiankid View Post
    I don't care if your car is fast, making it look like a dirty hookers butthole is not right.

Vehicle
    1986 honda accord LX

good luck i just had to take mine off it took me an acetylene torch and 2 hours

Vehicle
    '87 Prelude DX, '00 Nissan Frontier, '87 Suzuki Samurai DIESEL!

I guess you could use a long handled pipe wrench like CAH, but I can't stand buggering things up.

Strangely, a huge pipe wrench might be the best way to do it. Pipe wrenches have an advantage in that they are self gripping; the harder you push the harder they grip on the pipe/nut/whatever. If you're careful and do it just right you can get it so the pipe wrench bites on the flats of the nut and doesn't hose it up too much. The trick is getting the wrench in there the right way without having to remove everything half of the front end.

C|