Thread: '85 accord (carburated) dies on startup every time

DX User

'85 accord (carburated) dies on startup every time

Hi All:

I kind of suspect that the problem is a vacuum pot attached to the choke, actually the pot seems ok but somewhere there are valves that turn it on, such as the AC boost, & other conditions like startup. Does anyone know where that valve is? or maybe something acting on the throttle? I appreciate your (non-feckless) suggestions.

I inherited the car a few years ago and fixed it up some w/ a rebuilt head & new fuel pump & relay because it seemed too good to just toss out. It runs ok but dies on the first startup every time unless it's been sitting in the sun (I live on the NW coast, 65 deg is a hot day). it used to die at stop signs too but I rigged a bypass on a vacuum solenoid that's supposed to boost the engine to overcome power drain by the AC, so that it's always on. Now it usually runs ok after it warms up for a minute, but it's a workaround and not a solution.

thanks

Vehicle
    86 LX JDM B20A

Re: '85 accord (carburated) dies on startup every time

Sounds like you are close to getting it, there is a thermo valve that switches vacuum, it may be under side of intake, works off coolant temp.